BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
m3_uva
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe

DSC, start-up assistance, lighting issues

Hey guys, I've had a number of weird issues manifest, and they've somewhat crippled the car for practical use as of last night.

It's a MT 2010 M3 with nearly 70,000 miles on it.

The issues happened suddenly as of last night and haven't gone away. They are as follows:

- iDrive returns me numerous alerts, including: "lighting system, stop vehicle," "service due," "start-off assistance inactive," and "dynamic damping control malfunction." The "service engine soon" light can also come on the dashboard. I've also had a "DSC malfunction" alert show up in the iDrive system. Also, a yellow brake light may show up on the dashboard. All of these alerts have shown up intermittently for the past month or so except for the lighting system alert -- this one showed up last night as my car lights shat the bed.

- The interior lights aren't functional. They don't come on anymore despite all my attempts to push buttons and turn the car off and back on. In the iDrive system, any options related to lighting are unchecked, and the system won't let me checkbox any of the options.

- The welcome lights don't work anymore. When the key fob's open button is depressed, there's no beeping sound nor exterior lighting (e.g., the angel lights).

- The turn signals don't work. Flicking the lever upward and downward has no effect. Hazards don't work.

- The high beams don't work. Depressing and pulling the lever has no effect.

- The tail lights and head lights are always on when the car is turned on. Rotation of the LCM dial has no effect on their operation -- they're just always on when the car's on.

- The automatic windows don't work. It's almost summer here on the mid-Atlantic, and my car's about to turn into a heat box of death.

What does still work?

- Car still turns on and drives fine.
- Horn, radio, steering wheel buttons, trunk light, glovebox compartment light
- iDrive system, navigation, and iDrive system click wheel and buttons
- Locking and unlocking the car from the key fob and interior buttons

I've used the dashboard voltage diagnostic (youtube.com/watch?v=KGD9YW0Y1d0) to check my battery's voltage. It's around 12.1 V when the car's electronics are ignited and around 14.2 V when the engine is turned on. I don't think the battery's the problem.

I'll be taking the car in this week to get the issues diagnosed. In the meantime, any ideas what could be wrong? My elementary research has pointed to the steering angle sensor, the footwell module, the light control module, and/or the throttle actuators. I hope it's not more than one of these...

Last edited by m3_uva; 04-17-2016 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
m3_uva
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe

It's funny that I forgot to update the thread with the root cause here two years ago. Just checking in.

The issue here was the footwell module.

Should note that the battery, many thousands of miles later, also caused issues and was found to be leaking.

Two years later, my car is coming up on 110k. Throttle body actuators were replaced something like 10k ago. Oil changes every 7500 miles. Only current known issue is leaking valve cover gaskets, and they're recommending to replace the entire valve cover assembly to resolve (parts plus labor plus spark plugs ~ 3100 dollar job). Sending in an oil sample and also thinking about replacing rod bearings as preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00