BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

09-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #23
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I am running an external mic with the smartycam
Cool thanks! You think this was a better choice than the one that is offered built-in? I assume it’s because you could choose a higher-quality mic for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I got a friend's smartycam video and my God, it's like it's 1995 all over again.

I really like AIM products but the Smartycam, what the fuck, 180x180 resolution or some crap. Horrible
The newer versions are better, but for me personally it’s the time savings. I fight the GoPro 8 video and RaceRender and data for at least an hour every time I try to do it...
I’d rather have a lower-quality video with high quality easily overlaid data than my time wasted on trying to overlay it together.
I still will use my GoPro for autox stuff cause I don’t overlay data with it often, but on-track its just a no-brainer from a time savings perspective.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      09-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #24
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
I got a friend's smartycam video and my God, it's like it's 1995 all over again.

I really like AIM products but the Smartycam, what the fuck, 180x180 resolution or some crap. Horrible
https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/pro...ifications.htm

Video format - H.264 1280x720 pixels @ 30 fps

This does suck. I wish there was a good easy way to get gopro's all started at once.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/pro...ifications.htm

Video format - H.264 1280x720 pixels @ 30 fps

This does suck. I wish there was a good easy way to get gopro's all started at once.
There is the remote, but it's a bit hit and miss

For sure having data on the video to watch immediately is a big win, but the quality is so horrendous it just distracts me. Why not makea smartycam system that accepts a hdmi input so you add whichever camera you want? smartycam will never be able to match the quality of an outfit like gopro
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #26
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I primarily use my GoPro for some secondary validation of what the PDR camera captures, namely what I'm doing with my hands. I'm not hugely worried about the quality; it's an old Silver 3+ that shoots 1080p60 and the sensor produces acceptable images. It's good enough.

Everyone's use cases are different.
      09-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #27
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:
Cool thanks! You think this was a better choice than the one that is offered built-in? I assume it's because you could choose a higher-quality mic for it?
I use this microphone.
You will need TRRS to TRS Adapter Cable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Kelse921131.50
b4hand661.00
      09-16-2020, 12:24 AM   #28
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
I just recently got a Hero 7 black, and running external mic via the GoPro usb c adapter. I route it through the back and mounted next to license plate. I'm having a harder time wrestling with race render, making the smarty sound real smart!

Here's the exact setup

Olympus Stereo Mic:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...b_b_asin_title

Dead cat wind cover
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HX...b_b_asin_title

10' extension
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LM...b_b_asin_title
      09-16-2020, 04:27 AM   #29
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Cool thanks! You think this was a better choice than the one that is offered built-in? I assume it’s because you could choose a higher-quality mic for it?

Quote:

The newer versions are better, but for me personally it’s the time savings. I fight the GoPro 8 video and RaceRender and data for at least an hour every time I try to do it...
I’d rather have a lower-quality video with high quality easily overlaid data than my time wasted on trying to overlay it together.
I still will use my GoPro for autox stuff cause I don’t overlay data with it often, but on-track its just a no-brainer from a time savings perspective.
I think the quality is plenty good and the time savings is the real difference. When I am getting track side coaching, it's awesome to be able to pull out the card and immediately watch a video with data between sessions.
Appreciate 2
rhyary1557.00
dbyrd304.00
      09-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #30
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I think the quality is plenty good and the time savings is the real difference. When I am getting track side coaching, it's awesome to be able to pull out the card and immediately watch a video with data between sessions.
Sure, but how many likes, subscribes, and shares does that get you? That’s all that matters!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #31
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Sure, but how many likes, subscribes, and shares does that get you? That’s all that matters!
Sadly not many
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:06 AM   #32
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I’ve had good luck with my microphone placement: inside the rear tow hook hole. I installed a tow hook and then wrapped the mic wire around the hook and place the mic inside The hole. I’ve always been happy with the sound there. You don’t get any wind. And you don’t have to look at a microphone taped to the bumper in all your track pix. You can run the wire out the trunk. Or you can internally route it from the trunk and not see any wires.

Where is you camera mounted? It looks like it's on your helmet but doesn't move.
You're hauling ass around BW!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:36 AM   #33
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Where is you camera mounted? It looks like it's on your helmet but doesn't move.
You're hauling ass around BW!!
haha thanks!

The camera is mounted to the cage---on one of the tubes in the main hoop. It's on an i/o Port mount. I don't have a great photo of it. The best I could come up with quickly is from a video where the GoPro captures its own reflection in the rear view mirror. (I flipped it horizontally so it looks like you're looking at it.)

Anyway, I really like the I/o Port mount. Works great. Has a polyurethane bushing that helps keep vibrations down. Not the cheapest thing. Costs around $110.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      09-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #34
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
I use ram mounts but also use gopro with stabilization

The quality difference between a gopro5 and a gopro7 is so massive that I don't want to watch my videos from the 5.
I upgrade every year so now I'm using the 8 and next season the 9.

I record at 4k60 and it makes videos so nice and smooth
You willing to sell me your second hand gopros? I'm here with a 5..
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #35
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Has anyone mounted the mic in the engine bay by the intake on an E9x M3? I did this on my E30 and I quite liked the results compared to the rear bumper mic.

09-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #36
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
You willing to sell me your second hand gopros? I'm here with a 5..
Sold my 8 today, sorry. I'm keeping the 5 and 7 for the rear cams, have a 9 on its way and if it works well I'll add a second 9 so both cars have the good stuff
Good video makes such a big difference
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      09-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #37
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post
Has anyone mounted the mic in the engine bay by the intake on an E9x M3? I did this on my E30 and I quite liked the results compared to the rear bumper mic.

your data looks out of sync? T2 speeds dont look right
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:00 AM   #38
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post

your data looks out of sync? T2 speeds dont look right
Yeah I've always had issues with Harry's lap timer at THill
      09-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #39
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I tried a bit different location this last video.
I hang the microphone lower on the bumper and more in the middle. The mic is mono. The smartycam audio gain setting is lower to mid point.

The sound to me is intoxicating. I suspect the GoPro sound would the similar.

I also tried placing it inside the rear reverse light for leave it there and forget about it. But the sound was not as well defined.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #40
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

rhyary is that where the mesh grille is?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #41
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
rhyary is that where the mesh grille is?
Right above the grill.
In the past i taped the mic on top of the bumper to one side.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #42
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Thought about this as the cheaper alternative to the media mod but then realized the problem is it's so bulky its not going to play nicely without buying a $30 case to hold the clunky part of it, which puts the pricing of the two about equal...
I just want to put my camera on my rear window and run a $10 lapel mic and get sound without wind noise and/or the case rattling...
Enjoy a nice video of lots of wind noise and me taking out alll the finish cones as an example:

I don't have my camera mounted outside the car so I guess I don't have that big a problem with wind noise. I usually mount the camera inside the cabin.

Here's a video from my last track day with the GoPro mounted to my helmet. Harry's Laptimer will trigger the start and stop of video so overlay is synced and makes it easy. I usually shoot at 4k 60fps for max quality. My exhaust is stock so it's not very loud but it sounds good with just the built in mic.

Last edited by Z K; 09-25-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #43
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I don't have my camera mounted outside the car so I guess I don't have that big a problem with wind noise. I usually mount the camera inside the cabin.

Here's a video from my last track day with the GoPro mounted to my helmet. Harry's Laptimer will trigger the start and stop of video so overlay is synced and makes it easy. I usually shoot at 4k 60fps for max quality. My exhaust is stock so it's not very loud but it sounds good with just the built in mic.

offtopic, but hands at 9 and 3 and over hand positions to always be at the 3 and 9 positions of the wheel is probably smoother and faster
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:51 AM   #44
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
offtopic, but hands at 9 and 3 and over hand positions to always be at the 3 and 9 positions of the wheel is probably smoother and faster
Except when you need to turn the wheel more than 180 degrees quickly at Turn 2 at Laguna.

Also, when drifting, you tend to change hand positions very often - shuffling and letting the wheel return by letting go and catching it, bad habits of mine from my turbo 240sx days. 9 and 3 is relative when going straight is through the side window.