BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #67
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
Hi Mike, im on a euro spec RHD 08 DCT. Had a CIC retrofit done to have the newer idrive. Usually when I get software updates I'm require to fixed back the old set before the programming can go thru.

In my case am I still a candidate for your tune? Do I need to install back to old set for the tune to read and update? Thanks

Daniel
Not a problem whatsoever. You won't need to change anything at all.

I can update cars regardless of the hardware installed.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #68
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Nice, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #69
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT

mr Benvo. could you pm a price for you tune? Thank you sir!
Dan
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #70
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansM View Post
mr Benvo. could you pm a price for you tune? Thank you sir!
Dan
PM Sent. Thank you sir.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #71
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

After clocking over 16,000 miles, I feel like the car has finally broken in and that I’ve gotten enough seat time both on and off the street to really appreciate it. I am quite happy that I decided to pull the trigger early and get the tune after only a few thousand miles of ownership. I can’t say enough about the improved driveability of the vehicle. The throttle response with the tune feels perfect, especially with DCT. Even though many call it an automatic, I still feel that it takes a fine touch, and a bit of seat time to drive the car smoothly, especially off the line. I would say the throttle response is between the comfort and power mode with the car stock. The response is spot on with the clutch engagement and I can get nice quick launches when needed. The added power throughout the rev range is also great, especially considering the convertible’s extra 400lbs. The tune definitely added the much needed low/mid end power and really pushing the limits of the top end.

I also wanted to mention my experience with the cold start warm up disabled on the car. I was a bit concerned that it wasn’t good for the engine, but having clocked over 14k miles with it disabled, I can report that I’ve experienced zero issues. I was a bit concerned it would cause problems but I’m so happy I got rid of it. The car’s throttle response and clutch engagement feels the same all of the time. No more cold jerky starts and the computer constantly slipping the clutch. Around 14,000 miles, my car went into limp mode while I was visiting red line on a cold night. I had an engine warning light and emissions light. Since I live in the Los Angeles area, I decided to give Mike a call and see if he could get a read of the car. I dropped by Mike’s the next day and he took a read of it. The faults indicated pointed towards a faulty thermostat sensor. Mike recommended not clearing the codes, and taking the car to the dealer. I chose not to flash the car back to stock since my tuned X6 never had any issues at the dealer. To keep the story short, my dealership replaced the thermostat sensor and the tune was not affected. I tested the car out multiple times, taking it all the way to redline with no more limp modes or check engine lights.

On a different not, about 6 month ago I decided to finally give Euro MDM a try. All I can say is WOW! I am so angry at myself that I did not get Euro MDM programmed the day I got the tune. If you think the regular MDM is good, the Euro version of MDM absolutely blows it away. Having taken the car to the track, I felt that the stock MDM cut in way to early, and didn’t allow the limited slip differential to do its magic. Even on the street, when making quick right turns off the line, the car would cut throttle even in MDM, even though I knew from experience that it could easily grip with no drama. Once I got Euro MDM I literally couldn’t stop smiling while driving the car. It is much less intrusive and allows the differential to do most of the work. Even when you push the car past its grip limits, Euro MDM allows a bit off oversteer before intervening. It’s the perfect blend of allowing you to have a bit of “fun” with the car without losing control. On the track it’s a huge difference since you can get on the throttle a lot earlier without the stability system kicking in. At the same time, the system is still there in case things get a bit harry. It’s an awesome learning tool if you want to progress to driving the car completely DSC off.

Lately I’ve been hearing a lot of positive reviews regarding the DCT software from BPMsport and decided to give it a try. I’ve only had it for a few days and haven’t had much time to drive but so far I’m very impressed. The shifts are definitely much smoother and faster. The S5 and S6 shift modes almost feel like SMG with the car actually getting a “kick” during full throttle shifts. It also seems to be slipping the clutch a lot less from a start and while parking. I’ll post up a full review once I have a little more fun with it. Thanks again to Mike Benvo and BPMsport.

Last edited by ilya335; 05-29-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #72
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Couldn't agree more Mikes tune is fantastic
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #73
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Very nice and great review. Enjoy in good health !
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #74
WolfeS2K
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Interlagos Blue M3

Very Nice Review! Couldn't have said it better myself. BPMsport FTW

^Welcome to the China Club^ says the Bartender

Last edited by WolfeS2K; 05-29-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #75
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

I just love the cold start
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #76
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Couldn't agree more Mikes tune is fantastic
Glad to here that now you notice the difference haha. Like I said before the tune just makes the car a better version of what it already was. Cruising peacefully to and from work i'm now getting almost 22 mpg (got about 18 before) but when you want more it really comes alive in a hurry. BPM really makes an M3+
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #77
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM3 View Post
I just love the cold start
I got my cold start deleted and I'm thinking I may have made a mistake. I really miss all the drama..... the clinking, chugging and super bass.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #78
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
I got my cold start deleted and I'm thinking I may have made a mistake. I really miss all the drama..... the clinking, chugging and super bass.
I definitely miss the sound of the cold start no doubt, but the car is 3 times smoother when it's cold. I definitely wouldn't go back. Plus I'm running full catless setup so cold start is twice as pointless now
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #79
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I definitely miss the sound of the cold start no doubt, but the car is 3 times smoother when it's cold. I definitely wouldn't go back. Plus I'm running full catless setup so cold start is twice as pointless now
That's a good point because the car is noticeably more smooth when cold. I thought that was just from the tune itself and not necessarily the cold start removal. Maybe I just need a louder rear section. A buddy on here was selling a ceramic gintani hybrid...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #80
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
That's a good point because the car is noticeably more smooth when cold. I thought that was just from the tune itself and not necessarily the cold start removal. Maybe I just need a louder rear section. A buddy on here was selling a ceramic gintani hybrid...
I know of someone with a white E92 M3 () that would probably pick up your Megan exhaust haha
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #81
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know of someone with a white E92 M3 () that would probably pick up your Megan exhaust haha
Hahaha...I think i'm one of the few running a fully ceramic coated Megan so i'd want it to go to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #82
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Hmm I wonder who this mysterious person is
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #83
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Glad you're enjoying the DCT software Ilya, and thanks for the update. It was good seeing you the other day.

We also have a DCT "race" file for you to try if you are interested

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #84
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT

Mike you need to stop teasing with these statements like "race" file!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #85
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
Mike you need to stop teasing with these statements like "race" file!
You can try it too my friend

It's literally suited for "crazier" applications as there is much less torque limiting during shifts. Not what one is used to with DCT

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #86
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT

Sign me up and just let me know when...I have complete and utter blind faith in you given your reputation and service. Thanks for all you do.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:31 AM   #87
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
Sign me up and just let me know when...I have complete and utter blind faith in you given your reputation and service. Thanks for all you do.

You're on the list of the first ten to be flashed once it's officially released.

Thanks Vinnie, that is much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 03:22 AM   #88
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Thank you for your question, I am happy to answer for you.

When I was in Europe a few weeks ago, I tested this particular reason as to why many of those that attempt an update on their own 'brick' their ECU. Theoretically, you should be able to use these cables for flashing. However, there is one BIG problem that 99.9% of people are unaware about.

I purposely used one of the coding cables to 'brick' the ECU and determine what in particular is happening behind the scenes. When people attempt these updates, it often goes to 100% and appears that it has successfully flashed, only to receive an error at the very end which leaves the ECU in a state of no communication. This means no reprogramming it through the OBD-II port, and no communication with the car itself - so basically it's a 4000lb paperweight.

Now.. on to why this happens. Many of the cables that people are using have an inherent firmware flaw. The DME and TCU are one of the few control units in the car that are programmed with D-CAN. Most of the other modules in the car are programmed via K-CAN or KLINE, and the junction box may convert signals to the appropriate type depending on the ECU we are dealing with.

What I have found is that when programming DCAN modules (such as the DME and TCU), the firmware flaw causes erroneous data - specifically '06' to be written to the ECU every 253 bytes. This causes almost irreparable damage to the software programming and pretty much makes the DME useless.

The MSS60 (M3) and MSS65 (M5) DME's have two Motorola MPC563 Freescale processors. The MSS60 and the MSS65 share a very similar architecture, however, there is one pretty major difference. On M3's (cars with software from 2009 and above), BMW has introduced a revision of the code which 'locks' the left processor from reading. The ECU I tested this on was my E60 M5 DME, and luckily, both processors are not locked. This allowed me to open the DME up, and BDM (Background Debugging Mode) them. BDMing an ECU is when you open up the DME and use heads to connect to the pins on the motherboard which connect directly to the processor. This allows for reading and writing to the DME even if it is bricked, allowing you to now program and read a corrupted processor. Reading out the information from the processor gave a clear indication of why these DME's are left in a bricked state after such failed updates. I was able to recover the M5 DME completely, and it is working great again. Even flashed an M3 file into it for fun, and it accepted the flash.

However - with the M3, when this happens, it's a different story. Because the left processor is locked, you can not read or write to it using BDM. You can recover the right processor no problem, but without both processors working properly the DME will not be operating as designed and the vehicle will not start or run. On the M3, in order to fix a damaged ECU programmed with one of these cables, you have to desolder the left processor from the DME, and resolder a new one. After that, the processor will accept programming once again, and you can fully recover it.

Even a completely working M3 ECU will not allow communication with the left processor over BDM. OBD II will read fine from both processors, but you can not program certain sections of the processors over OBD II. I have a spare M3 DME that I use for testing, and unfortunately it will not work in my car because of the electronic immobilizer data written to the left processor which is secured from OBD programming. For this reason I am going to replace the left processor which will allow it to be programmed to a virgin state. I will then be able to link this ECU successfully to my M3 and have two working DME's for my car.

Now onto why the cables that eVolve and I offer you do not cause this problem: They are designed 'specifically' for DME programming over D-CAN. They do not program any other modules because they are not designed for that, although the second generation of bluetooth cables will likely have a pass-through for coding and programming other modules. Not only that, the cables test ranges to program and are not nearly invasive as WinKFP for flashing. They don't alter the boot sector. They also have built in recovery mode features in the off-event that something does go awry, such as a cable getting pulled out in the middle, drastically low voltage, etc. The worse thing you can do to an electronic control unit is program bad data to the operating system part of the firmware/software. A properly designed system takes all measures to ensure that bad data is not written, and that in the event there is a fault, recovery can be performed. The master of all of this DME stuff is the engineer that designed these end user flashing cables.

I hope this helps!
really wish i had read this before. i tried to update a 2008 M3 E93 with mss60 and now the car wont start and stuck at signature check failed. any chance i can still recover this ecu or reflash? please help
Appreciate 0