BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Macht Schnell Pulleys - Hard to turn wheel at slow speeds?

Wondering if anyone else has this problem. Ever since installing the pullies the steering wheel is noticeably more difficult to turn at low speeds when pulling into parking spaces, etc.

Also if I am at a standstill and turn the wheel side-to-side quickly there is major power steering lag. In this second scenario I wonder if the belt is slipping on the pulley since they are no longer ribbed.

Anyone else have similar problems? I expected a small degradation in performance but am a bit disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole
Wondering if anyone else has this problem. Ever since installing the pullies the steering wheel is noticeably more difficult to turn at low speeds when pulling into parking spaces, etc.

Also if I am at a standstill and turn the wheel side-to-side quickly there is major power steering lag. In this second scenario I wonder if the belt is slipping on the pulley since they are no longer ribbed.

Anyone else have similar problems? I expected a small degradation in performance but am a bit disappointed.
Yes it's normal. The power steering pump is probably turning slower now because of the pulley.
      06-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Yes it's normal. The power steering pump is probably turning slower now because of the pulley.
Thanks for the reassurance. After first noticing the problem I went to check my power steering fluid resevoir and it was nearly empty although according to the BMW service manual it was supposed to be checked at every service and inspection.

Unfortunately, topping off the fluid didn't fix the problem but I was a bit worried that running so low on power steering fluid for a prolonged period may have damaged something.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. After first noticing the problem I went to check my power steering fluid resevoir and it was nearly empty although according to the BMW service manual it was supposed to be checked at every service and inspection.

Unfortunately, topping off the fluid didn't fix the problem but I was a bit worried that running so low on power steering fluid for a prolonged period may have damaged something.
I noticed a difference but it wasn't a night a day difference.

Not sure if you have this option but in the "m" settings you can change the steering feel from sport to normal. Normal being easier to turn.
      06-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Have Dinan pulley and in sport mode definitely harder to turn at low/crawling speeds. In normal mode, I don't notice as much of a difference pulley vs non pulley.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Have Dinan pulley and in sport mode definitely harder to turn at low/crawling speeds. In normal mode, I don't notice as much of a difference pulley vs non pulley.
That's because the Dinan kit only replaces the accessory pulley, while the Macht Schnell (as well as AA, and others) replace both the accessory and power steering pulleys. That's why there isn't as severe an effect.

This thread is making me appreciate the Dinan engineering approach to driveabiilty.
      06-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusM3 View Post
That's because the Dinan kit only replaces the accessory pulley, while the Macht Schnell (as well as AA, and others) replace both the accessory and power steering pulleys. That's why there isn't as severe an effect.

This thread is making me appreciate the Dinan engineering approach to driveabiilty.
I hope the Dinan pulley is the better choice, because i have one coming tomorrow along with there intake. The main reason i went with the Dinan is because it matches the factory warranty.
      06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

I was under the impression that Mach Schnell one was better for both power & retaining original usability, THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING. Is it really that big of a difference? Currently I have it in normal for DD and sport for M mode. With a pulley is normal like sport and sport like super hardcore?
      06-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Im not sure about the MS pulley, but i have a Dinan pulley and there's no difference in steering.