BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

01-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you have any pictures with the headlights on? That is where you would see the largest difference between the one you purchased and the LUX ( in a side by side comparison)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #24
icantdrive
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Do you have any pictures with the headlights on? That is where you would see the largest difference between the one you purchased and the LUX ( in a side by side comparison)

Yes! Please post so I can decide what to order.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #25
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

I received my burger ones today however one of them flicker really bad. Waiting on a response from burger. I took out the HID kit to test them and they are about half the brightness of the hid kit.
      01-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'm sure you'll be happy with the LUX.
You were right. They arrived today and I'm very happy with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
I received my burger ones today however one of them flicker really bad. Waiting on a response from burger. I took out the HID kit to test them and they are about half the brightness of the hid kit.
I have no regrets about the more expensive Lux now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #27
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

would any of you guys recommend Alpine HD angels? im looking to get brighter ones than the stock ones. i had GP thunders on my old car but hated how in daylight u couldnt even tell if they were on
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
would any of you guys recommend Alpine HD angels? im looking to get brighter ones than the stock ones. i had GP thunders on my old car but hated how in daylight u couldnt even tell if they were on
I have two sets of them. One is a 6k in the m3 and a 7k set in our 328. They are rediculous bright. I compared them to a buddie that has lux and there is no comparison. The hid kit is about twice as bright in the daytime. Although that being said I have ordered a set of lux for the m3 because the bulbs are starting to shift.
      01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
I have two sets of them. One is a 6k in the m3 and a 7k set in our 328. They are rediculous bright. I compared them to a buddie that has lux and there is no comparison. The hid kit is about twice as bright in the daytime. Although that being said I have ordered a set of lux for the m3 because the bulbs are starting to shift.
thanks for the input! i think ill go with the alpines and hope they turn out well. would you recommend the 6k or 7k ones? i think the GP thunders were 8k if im not mistaken
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
thanks for the input! i think ill go with the alpines and hope they turn out well. would you recommend the 6k or 7k ones? i think the GP thunders were 8k if im not mistaken
The 6k match the factory xenon. The 7k are more blue.
      01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I now have a set of all three, a new set of burger, a new set of LUX and a new set of bulbs for the HID kit. I will take a few comparison pics tomorrow.
      01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I now have a set of all three, a new set of burger, a new set of LUX and a new set of bulbs for the HID kit. I will take a few comparison pics tomorrow.
Unfortunately, it will be hard to take comparison pics. It's hard to get the HIDs to show up correctly in pics. People have the idea that the HIDs look like blobs instead of super bright rings cause of the pics that have been taken of them. I have found that only seeing them in person really shows how nice they actually look. I tried taking pics of them myself and could never get them to turn out looking like they do in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #33
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins View Post
Hmm. I'm not sure what degree kelvin the BMS LED's are. Their website indicates 7000K but the product I received doesn't identically match the product on the website. I'm guessing they're somewhere around 6500K as in person the OEM LED's look a bit more bluish.
The color temperatures that they tell you are bullshit. Tungsten lamps are 2900k, standard halogens are about 2700-3000k. Metal Halide (HID) sources in parking lots are 4500-5000k.

Also, I need to clarify with people. Not many understand LEDs. Some vendors tell people that they have a "high wattage" LED, ie, 20-watts, it really doesn't explain much. They can have the same product, overdrive the LEDs, and cause premature failure. Also, the higher the wattage, the more effective their heatsinks would need to be.

The reason why different vendors have different "5000k" colors is because of the binning of the LEDs, theoretically ANSI-BINNED LEDs have a 7-step MacAdam Ellipse standard (color shifting). That's why different batches can vary in different colors, unless they have a tight 2-3 step binning process.

Also, last most important. Trust vendors that TELL you what LED chips they use. I believe Mtec uses CREE, which is a name brand. Along with Nichia, Samsung, Citizen, etc.
Good info, thanks for sharing that
      01-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #34
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately, it will be hard to take comparison pics. It's hard to get the HIDs to show up correctly in pics. People have the idea that the HIDs look like blobs instead of super bright rings cause of the pics that have been taken of them. I have found that only seeing them in person really shows how nice they actually look. I tried taking pics of them myself and could never get them to turn out looking like they do in person.
You need to use a spot meter in order to actually shoot bright lights along with the proper white balance set via a white card. Using a POS camera, or an SLR in auto mode will yield poor results photographically.
      01-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #35
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
You need to use a spot meter in order to actually shoot bright lights along with the proper white balance set via a white card. Using a POS camera, or an SLR in auto mode will yield poor results photographically.
You may be correct but most pics that I've ever seen, including my own, obviously haven't used a spot meter. Most people who aren't photographers by trade aren't going to buy special equipment for things like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #36
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You may be correct but most pics that I've ever seen, including my own, obviously haven't used a spot meter. Most people who aren't photographers by trade aren't going to buy special equipment for things like this.
Spot meter is built into just about every DSLR, just have to enable it, Bro. White cards cost $3, or you can use a paper plate. White balance is most important for getting these comparisons correct and like people have said, these manufacturers are estimating the kelvin scale of their output. I'm thinking of ordering these, so I'll submit some photos; I'm still researching at this point. I think the brighter angel eyes are a better option in foggy situations, than the headlights.
      01-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #37
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Spot meter is built into just about every DSLR, just have to enable it, Bro. White cards cost $3, or you can use a paper plate. White balance is most important for getting these comparisons correct and like people have said, these manufacturers are estimating the kelvin scale of their output. I'm thinking of ordering these, so I'll submit some photos; I'm still researching at this point. I think the brighter angel eyes are a better option in foggy situations, than the headlights.
I'd love to see some good photo comparisons if you decide to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #38
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd love to see some good photo comparisons if you decide to do it.
After this morning's fog, I think I need brighter eyes so I'm seen; I'll absolutely throw some photos up.

I'll most likely split the photos from the original color temp and the new, to keep the white balance separate, then make one jpeg as comparison.
      02-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #39
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I finally got around to ordering my Hoen endurance H8s. Here are some comparisons. The first using a grey card, I set the proper white balance used for subsequent shots. The middle shot is the white balance corrected image, where you can see the Hoens are more amber than the yellow-ish of the non white balance corrected image (too blue clearly). The last shot is out of the camera and converted to jpeg, zero adjustments. Keep in mind, jpeg conversion is not lossless, so the white/mids/blacks can be clipped, but the most important aspects are the white and the amber from the lights.

Nikon D700 / Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D [ 80mm f/5.6 for 1/80s tripod WB Red: 1.08 Blue: .90 ]

Reference: cloudy, 16:38 PST, pre-golden hour.

If anyone wants larger or the actual NEFs, PM me, I'm happy to compress them and send them.
Attached Images

02-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #40
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I finally got around to ordering my Hoen endurance H8s. Here are some comparisons. The first using a grey card, I set the proper white balance used for subsequent shots. The middle shot is the white balance corrected image, where you can see the Hoens are more amber than the yellow-ish of the non white balance corrected image (too blue clearly). The last shot is out of the camera and converted to jpeg, zero adjustments. Keep in mind, jpeg conversion is not lossless, so the white/mids/blacks can be clipped, but the most important aspects are the white and the amber from the lights.

Nikon D700 / Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D [ 80mm f/5.6 for 1/80s tripod WB Red: 1.08 Blue: .90 ]

Reference: cloudy, 16:38 PST, pre-golden hour.

If anyone wants larger or the actual NEFs, PM me, I'm happy to compress them and send them.
Are they supposed to be yellow though?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Are they supposed to be yellow though?
2500k is what the box specifies. Yellow-ish I suppose?
      02-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
2500k is what the box specifies. Yellow-ish I suppose?
Yes, but were you looking for something that yellow since it appears that they are no better than stock if not.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #43
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, but were you looking for something that yellow since it appears that they are no better than stock if not.
Yes, during the day, they are similar, but when it gets dark, or in fog, they are clearly not as white as stock.

The point was to show the importance of white balance on these LED and brighter angel eyes. Some folks think certain manufacturers appear too blue, but if white balance is corrected, they do look different.
      02-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #44
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, during the day, they are similar, but when it gets dark, or in fog, they are clearly not as white as stock.

The point was to show the importance of white balance on these LED and brighter angel eyes. Some folks think certain manufacturers appear too blue, but if white balance is corrected, they do look different.
So in the end, these Burger ones aren't any whiter than stock?
Appreciate 0