BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Megan Racing Springs *Quick Review*

Originally I was planning on doing the B&G springs, but here in Canada with the exchange rate/duties/tax, it would not have been worth it. I also eventually plan on doing coilovers, so until then I wanted something cheaper.

My old 09 DCT (no edc) car, I installed H&R Sport springs with E36 M3 bump stops and MRF style shaved top mounts. I honestly hated that setup, the H&R was too stiff and would really crash on bigger bumps.

This time on my 08 6MT (no edc), I decided to try out the Megan Racing springs. A friend of mine on Instagram had them and he was really the one to sell me on them (otherwise I would not have got something this cheap lol). The spring rates are also very similar to B&G's.

I installed them a few days ago using rzm3 guide, install was a breeze (I did E36 M3 bump stops but no shaved hats this time).

Pics of the drop (taken right after install, they have settled in now and are a hair lower)

Final thoughts:

These springs are amazing for the price and I recommend them to anyone that is on a budget. I can happily say that they ride much much better than my H&R spring setup did. No crashing on big bumps, ride is very comparable to stock. The drop is also very good, I think its the perfect amount (Similar to B&G).

Will be getting an alignment in the next few days and installing spacers.
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Looks good!

Your H&R experience is a complete outlier though, so many people run that MRF setup and none have had that experience. I've been running that setup for 3 years now and it's never crashed or ran out of travel - not even on the nastiest of bumps/potholes. Same for my cousin's old E92 with the same setup. Nothing but great things to say for a daily driven M3.

Your shocks on that previous E90 were likely done and the drop exacerbated the problems.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

He may have had the shorter version of the H&R springs. I have the regular version and have run out of travel. But I suspect a softer or different spring would also have run out of travel under the same circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Looks good!

Your H&R experience is a complete outlier though, so many people run that MRF setup and none have had that experience. I've been running that setup for 3 years now and it's never crashed or ran out of travel - not even on the nastiest of bumps/potholes. Same for my cousin's old E92 with the same setup. Nothing but great things to say for a daily driven M3.

Your shocks on that previous E90 were likely done and the drop exacerbated the problems.
Actually I installed brand new Bilstein B4's when I did the springs on my DCT car, maybe I had the super sport springs? I don't really remember if they were the sport or the stiffer one.

I remember reading a post from EAS I believe, they used to say the H&R was a bit too stiff as well, and would recommend the B&G.

I'm glad you and your cousins are enjoying the setup, maybe it was just me then haha
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0