BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

06-04-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

EMT

Hey guys, so im wondering who all is a EMT and has a postion in the ER as one? My course is starting in 10 days and im literally freaking out thats how nervous i am for it. I got all my notes and stuff on Blackboard which our school uses to interact with others and its not hard stuff but im just nervous.
I also was wondering if anyone of you persuade Advanced EMT? My cousin is taking it this semester and he said the EMT was a breeze for him!
      06-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Not i
      06-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss
Not i
Lol anyone here in the medical field?
      06-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

I'm in the Engineering side of medical field. I build and program the equipment that EMT, Nurses and Doctors use.

The project i'm working on now is a Life support ventilator. I know a few things about respiratory.

Will you be taking classes on respiratory?
      06-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the Engineering side of medical field. I build and program the equipment that EMT, Nurses and Doctors use.

The project i'm working on now is a Life support ventilator. I know a few things about respiratory.

Ill check my schedule soon and ill get back to you i gotta get some sleep though 12 hour shift killed me haha
      06-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I used to be. Got my EMT-"A" in NY when I was in college and then got my EMT-B when I moved back to Maryland. Both times during the course I had to do I think 8 hours of observation time at a local ER.

I understand being nervous when in a medical situation interacting with patients. Don't let it overwhelm you. Make sure you talk to the ER staff. The nurses are key to helping you settle in. The doctors for the most part sort of keep to themselves. Although when I did my rotation in NY, the doctors there were pretty cool. They were throwing cotton balls at each other soaked in iodine. So they looked like little balls of turd. Once the staff gets a comfort level with you, they'll ask you to do some basic stuff such as doing vitals on patients or to watch them while they have to run off to do some things. This is also a chance for you to work on your patient rapport. It'll be the most valuable skill you'll learn. I was highly successful with interacting with patients because I could talk to them....not at them. Remember patients are sometimes more scared than you are.

Let me know if you have any other questions. It's nice to see you pursuing this.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
I used to be. Got my EMT-"A" in NY when I was in college and then got my EMT-B when I moved back to Maryland. Both times during the course I had to do I think 8 hours of observation time at a local ER.

I understand being nervous when in a medical situation interacting with patients. Don't let it overwhelm you. Make sure you talk to the ER staff. The nurses are key to helping you settle in. The doctors for the most part sort of keep to themselves. Although when I did my rotation in NY, the doctors there were pretty cool. They were throwing cotton balls at each other soaked in iodine. So they looked like little balls of turd. Once the staff gets a comfort level with you, they'll ask you to do some basic stuff such as doing vitals on patients or to watch them while they have to run off to do some things. This is also a chance for you to work on your patient rapport. It'll be the most valuable skill you'll learn. I was highly successful with interacting with patients because I could talk to them....not at them. Remember patients are sometimes more scared than you are.

Let me know if you have any other questions. It's nice to see you pursuing this.
Thank you
Most of the ER workers their i have met because my cousin and this doctor that work their have introduced me to the staff because i was shadowing them. I was just reviewing the notes last night on our campus site and i just started getting nervous. But im actually pretty excited about it now that i think about it minus all those Exams and Quizes lol
And yes if i have any questions ill make sure to PM
Attached Images

Last edited by e92_boost; 06-04-2015 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:

We are having Respiratory!
      06-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Not me, sorry. All the best!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Not me, sorry. All the best!
Thank you
      06-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 328 [Sold]

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Not an EMT, but I do have to know initial treatment of injuries since we're usually the first on scene (Law Enforcement) to most Medical Emergencies here. Can't tell you much about the EMT side other than all the ones I've ever talked to said every situation is different and be flexible to what's happening.

Best I can offer!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_boost View Post
Thank you
Most of the ER workers their i have met because my cousin and this doctor that work their have introduced me to the staff because i was shadowing them. I was just reviewing the notes last night on our campus site and i just started getting nervous. But im actually pretty excited about it now that i think about it minus all those Exams and Quizes lol
Yes. Feel free to PM me with anything you want to talk about. It's been a few years since I was a volunteer at the rescue squad, but I still remember quite a few things.

Looking over the course material, one thing jumped out at me that I'm surprised to see. I'm surprised to see the Mark I kit with the atropine and 2 pamchloride. That was never part of my class and I don't think is in the current course in my state. When I first got my EMT cert, there were two types...EMT-"A" and EMT-I. The A was most of what people did. The I required some additional training as the I allowed the EMT to transport with a patient with an IV established. When the B certification came out, the A and the I were merged together. I had to bridge into the B certification but missed the window. So I ended up doing the full EMT-B class when I moved back to Maryland. In addition to being able to transport and manage a patient with an IV, the B cert allowed me to administer nitro pills and use Epi pens...only if the patient had these with them.

Anyways, back to the Mark I kit. I know about the Mark I kit because I used to work in a lab which was doing material testing to determine penetration rates when exposed to chemical surety agents. In other words, the agents we were testing penetration on materials are known as chemical warfare agents (mustard, sarin, VX, Lewisite, etc). We were trained on the Mark I kits because they were to be used if someone was exposed to any nerve agent we were handling in the lab. So I'm a bit surprised to see this as part of your EMT training class.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #13
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
Quote:
Thank you
Yes. Feel free to PM me with anything you want to talk about. It's been a few years since I was a volunteer at the rescue squad, but I still remember quite a few things.

Looking over the course material, one thing jumped out at me that I'm surprised to see. I'm surprised to see the Mark I kit with the atropine and 2 pamchloride. That was never part of my class and I don't think is in the current course in my state. When I first got my EMT cert, there were two types...EMT-"A" and EMT-I. The A was most of what people did. The I required some additional training as the I allowed the EMT to transport with a patient with an IV established. When the B certification came out, the A and the I were merged together. I had to bridge into the B certification but missed the window. So I ended up doing the full EMT-B class when I moved back to Maryland. In addition to being able to transport and manage a patient with an IV, the B cert allowed me to administer nitro pills and use Epi pens...only if the patient had these with them.

Anyways, back to the Mark I kit. I know about the Mark I kit because I used to work in a lab which was doing material testing to determine penetration rates when exposed to chemical surety agents. In other words, the agents we were testing penetration on materials are known as chemical warfare agents (mustard, sarin, VX, Lewisite, etc). We were trained on the Mark I kits because they were to be used if someone was exposed to any nerve agent we were handling in the lab. So I'm a bit surprised to see this as part of your EMT training class.
I just started reviewing my notes that they put up for the course, 39 chapters! 10 days before class why not prepare for myself haha. We have EMT and Advanced EMT that we can take which my cousin is taking and the Paramedics one also.
      06-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #14
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cool, You can PM me any questions.
      06-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool, You can PM me any questions.
Thank you
      06-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #16
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

If you got through middle school, you can pass the EMT coursework. Harder to actually use the knowledge, so make sure you get a good instructor with real experience that emphasizes hands on practice and repetition so you can actually keep the job once you get it.
      06-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #17
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
If you got through middle school, you can pass the EMT coursework. Harder to actually use the knowledge, so make sure you get a good instructor with real experience that emphasizes hands on practice and repetition so you can actually keep the job once you get it.
Its twice a week course Tuesday bookwork/hands on and Thursdays mostly hands on only with a quiz/test on the things we learn. Instructor is pretty cool my cousin had them and loved them as they had everyone get involved in things.
      06-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #18
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I'm in anesthesia so you can PM me any questions about airway management, pharmacology, ACLS and stuff like that.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #19
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr
I'm in anesthesia so you can PM me any questions about airway management, pharmacology, ACLS and stuff like that.
Thanks so much ill need some heads up and may have questions
      06-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #20
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

EMT-B First responder, fireman's, 10 years. Seen it all. work for a city with 80k pop in 12sq miles
      06-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #21
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
I'm in anesthesia.
gas-passer?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #22
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

I'm a paramedic, I do rotations in the hospitals, so easy, working on a truck, not so much.
Appreciate 0