BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #9901
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
It seems like most GT350 and 1LE owners don’t track and/or can’t get the performance out of the cars with all of that tire anyways, which is fine unless you're bragging about how fast your car is I guess.
I shouldn't even engage in these conversations

Talking about track performance with keyboard racers and excel spreadsheet makers is an epic waste of time.

I am amazed people come talk to me about the feel of their whatever car... i look at them and my only thought is 'you wouldn't know performance or feel if it fell on you'.

People should spend 30 days a year at the track with whatever car they want and at least they can have a more respectable opinion.
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo548.00
gmx57.50

Yesterday, 04:30 PM   #9902
rhyary
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Just got my Solo DL 2 from M-World and waiting for the install instructions. For Race Studio 3 - does anyone want to share their configurations? To start out with, I'd like a page that just shows GPS speed, speedometer speed, and RPM for HPDEs where timing devices are discouraged. For the ECU stream where you select the protocol, what are you choosing for the E9x M3? There's "F_Series" "M235i" "M3_GT2" etc
I can help you with AiM.
Either call me, or I can setup a WebEx session to show you
YouTube is also good option
Appreciate 1
Ximian119.50

Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #9903
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
It seems like most GT350 and 1LE owners donít track and/or canít get the performance out of the cars with all of that tire anyways, which is fine unless you're bragging about how fast your car is I guess.
I'd half agree with this. I see a fair number of them at track days, though it's usually the same people -- and a lot of those 350s are trailered in.
Bartledoo548.00

Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #9904
admranger
Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2016 X5 40e

Why can't we all just get along?

I personally like the variety and that the domestics are upping their game, even if they are making some poor choices. Eventually they'll either learn or their customers will find something else to play with.

It's not like BMW hasn't made a few mistakes in their day (<cough> rod bearings, E46 subframes and vanos, rod bearings again <cough>)

Rising performance lifts all makes as they battle each other to stay on top.

Besides, the more people that like track driving means we can eventually rid ourselves of a bunch of wasted real estate (golf courses) and turn them into racetracks! That's progress!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster
'18 330i xDrive GT Mineral White/Black
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow3265.00
Bartledoo548.00

Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #9905
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Repost since no response...

Anyone else notice no one wears race gloves at dragstrips or roll race events?

I am the type of guy who gets sweaty palms and being in a helmet+gloves gets you in the mindset much like a suit for a job interview.
      Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #9906
dparm
United_States
Rep

COTA After Dark...very interesting challenge. The video makes this look way brighter than it was. Between the corners, it was complete darkness.

Also, someone in my run group hit a skunk dead-center of the track by corner 15. That was a nice smell for the rest of the evening.

Have fun laughing at my early braking and times that are 3-4s off the pace, heh.

Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #9907
Bartledoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I'd half agree with this. I see a fair number of them at track days, though it's usually the same people -- and a lot of those 350s are trailered in.
I see a ton at the track. I just can't help but wonder if many of the owners would have more fun/satisfaction in a car with a bit less potential performance/cost but still great feel (like our car with decent suspension/tires), and getting closer to the car's potential.

Nothing against them though. Some of the regulars I'm friends with at the track are gt350 owners, and the cars are badass. Not my preference though, and I prefer to keep my track car budget reasonable (for my net worth haha).

Last edited by Bartledoo; Today at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:09 AM   #9908
gmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Repost since no response...

Anyone else notice no one wears race gloves at dragstrips or roll race events?

I am the type of guy who gets sweaty palms and being in a helmet+gloves gets you in the mindset much like a suit for a job interview.
I got gloves after a track day in 100F ambient weather. Every 2nd lap of a 60second technical course (no big straights, just a kink - hold it flat if you got balls) I was wiping my hands on my pants. Just wear them. I get sweaty palms as well. Do you give a F about how people think of you or do you care about your palms/steering wheel condition?
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:59 AM   #9909
SQ13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
COTA has developed a few large bumps that might initially catch you off-guard in the dark.

Between 9-10 at track out from 9.

Inside of turn 18 at the end of the carousel. I used to set up for this last apex, but now, I displace it. If you set it up correctly, you can still be setup well for 19.

I instruct for Edge Addicts, but unfortunately, I can't make it. Let us know how it goes!
I hadnít been there since Jan 2018. I noticed the dip between 9 and 10 in a video recently, and it looked violent for the GT3. It actually wasnít bad in my car. T18 bump still feels sketchy. The bump before T2 seems to have gotten worse.

Overall, it was fun. I broke my car during the third session, so I switched to my street car for last two sessions. The night session was fucking awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Come find me and say hello! I'll be in a blue Corvette with white and red stripes. Happy to provide some pointers on COTA in case you forgot, haha.

I'm not really too worried about lap times for this event. The first sessions will be brutally hot and then the night stuff will be a bit of an unknown. I just want some sweet glowing-rotor photos.
I saw your car, but didnít get a chance to drop by bc of an issue with my car. You might remember me driving slow as hell in the silver E46 M3, #13. I was able to get my rotors to glow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I usually do that first session to make sure nothing is in position to break apart. Listen and feel for things. That's what I did at laguna. Felt like something was gonna break. Then next session it did break. Send it. Lol
My RR caliper bracket bolt worked its way loose during the third session. Didnít hear anything until the checkered flag came out lol.

Iíll upload dusk and night vids later.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 11:59 AM   #9910
MaximusB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Whatís the oil change interval for you guys who track the car?

I changed my oil in March and only put about 3000km on the car since. The 3000km also included two track days (14 - 20 minute sessions total). I have a road trip coming up, about 1300km round trip and 1 more track day in September. Should I do another oil change before the road trip or before the last track day?

I only drive my car on weekends and I store it over winter. So ideally I would like to wait till next spring to change oil.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:28 PM   #9911
dparm
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
What’s the oil change interval for you guys who track the car?

I changed my oil in March and only put about 3000km on the car since. The 3000km also included two track days (14 - 20 minute sessions total). I have a road trip coming up, about 1300km round trip and 1 more track day in September. Should I do another oil change before the road trip or before the last track day?

I only drive my car on weekends and I store it over winter. So ideally I would like to wait till next spring to change oil.

You won't really know until you get some Blackstone analyses under your belt. They can track by "hours" instead of miles, if you prefer.

I'd pull a sample after a few track days (pull it from the filter housing) and see what they say. Frankly, I think the oil in the car can stay in there longer. Just change it after the road trip or whatever -- highway miles are not hard on a car.
      Today, 05:25 PM   #9912
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
You want protocol BMW_PT6.

Setting up a page like you describe takes just a few minutes. I suggest you dig in and learn how to do it. That way you can easily change the page configs as you continue using the device. No one else's pre-setup pages are going to be exactly what you want.

You'll also want to setup the side LEDs to do what you want.

AIM has a number of videos on YouTube that describe some setup stuff.
Thanks for the info and rhyary

I got the it hooked up easily with the PnP harness, but the instructions for the fuse tap to to provide power to the Solo are minimal. It probably more simple than it looks, but it's the first time I've done anything regarding the fuses so I don't have much to work with.

As for the info, I have a page for CC05 - DCT TMP and CC34 - FUEL (%). Nothing shows up for DCT TMP but the car was cold. Is it supposed to show anything?

Also, Fuel % shows up for 5 seconds and disappears for 5 seconds. That's kind of odd. Both are at 10 hertz sampling frequency so I'll try to decrease it to 1 hertz to see if it helps.
Appreciate 0