BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-11-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

SCROTH racing Harness questions

Hello,

Been asking around about harnesses and not getting much traction.. Im looking to add some harnesses to my clubsport build for the track. The car brakes extremely hard now with the AP kit and track pads. I still drive the car on the street and just am not educated enough which ones I want to run with..

Questions, I was told the 2 inch is better, but the 3 inch look better imo. What do you run and what do you think?
How do I still run my seat belt for the street and harness for the track? Do you just push the harness on the side when driving with seat belt on?
No coding needed here?
Where did you order your harnesses from?
Differences between 4 and 6 point?

Im currently running Pinnacle cage with Pole positions.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

06-11-2023, 01:27 PM   #2
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

2” is better for majority of HANS devices.

Most 4 pt can be converted to 6 pt later on if you want.

You don’t need to code anything, and you can unwrap the harness from the cage when it’s back to street duty and run the regular 3pt.

Sounds like turbo_joe has the hookup for Schroth.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
JobanM
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I run Sparco FIA Hans Endurance 6-Point Racing Harness which are 2 inch and compatible with HANS.

I have Pole Position ABE the street version which are attached via Brey Krause mounts bolted to OEM E90 manual slider. I got the Brey Krause hardware to attach the side lap belt mounts and sub strap.

When you run harness on track you will have seat belt light on and idrive will keep telling you to put your seat belt on. I had that coded out, but I still have the seat belt light on dash which I don't mind.

The above will only apply if you haven't coded out the oem seat belt receptacle. I leave my harnesses in the car while driving on the street just pull the shoulder straps behind the seat and lap belts away.

I ordered mine from OG Racing including the HANS.
      06-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #4
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobanM View Post
I run Sparco FIA Hans Endurance 6-Point Racing Harness which are 2 inch and compatible with HANS.

I have Pole Position ABE the street version which are attached via Brey Krause mounts bolted to OEM E90 manual slider. I got the Brey Krause hardware to attach the side lap belt mounts and sub strap.

When you run harness on track you will have seat belt light on and idrive will keep telling you to put your seat belt on. I had that coded out, but I still have the seat belt light on dash which I don't mind.

The above will only apply if you haven't coded out the oem seat belt receptacle. I leave my harnesses in the car while driving on the street just pull the shoulder straps behind the seat and lap belts away.

I ordered mine from OG Racing including the HANS.
Sounds like 2-inch is def the move for when I eventually order the HANS.

I'm also running Brey Krause fixed mount with a Pole Position ABE.

No I-drive as I'm a single hump. However, if seatbelt is not clicked in while at track its going to chime and that's going to drive me nuts... So I believe I will need to get that coded out? Issue is if I get it coded out and I run street, with seat belt on will my airbags still deploy if I were in an accident?

What's the reasoning behind 4 point vs 6? In the offroad scene everyone just runs 4 point not sure where the 6 comes into a factor for a street / track (mostly street) build
      06-11-2023, 08:02 PM   #5
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

6 point keeps you from submarining, lest you have Schroth’s ASM webbing in something like a quickfit pro, which may be?? appeoved for the ABE.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
You have the means to run 6 pt, do it right and run 6. Lots of tracks don’t allow 4 regardless of the Schroth’s certifications.
rg122077.00
JobanM73.50
      07-09-2023, 12:14 PM   #7
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
If you eliminated the OE belt tensioner (inboard seat belt buckle) then you really should run a 6 point. The biggest issue with a 4pt and a race seat is you'll never get the lap belt really tight AND positioned correctly unless you have a second person crawling around inside the car. Even then...you should run a 6pt. It will be kind of a pain because the camlock my slap you in the frank and beans on the street. Maybe you like that kind of thing...I'll let you do you...haha.

You absolutely want 2" shoulder straps WITH A HANS type device. You run a much higher risk of a basal skull fracture. That's where your spinal cord disconnects from your skull and you die. In an impact your torso is locked in place so your head gets all of the forward and then rearward accelerating forces. Its what killed Dale Earnhardt. Remember, you have to add the weight of your helmet to that equation.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 2
rg122077.00
JobanM73.50