BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #45
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
Audi clubs have regular track days in various regions, just like BMWCCA and Porsche Club do.

I wonder if the OP and other espousers of track FUD have ever done a high performance driving school such as BMWCCA's or NASA's, because anyone who has done it would understand that you're not thrashing the car on the track. But people who have never been on the track have wild and wooly ideas of what it's all about, in my experience.
Wear and tear (as opposed to damage) on a track car will be primarily to the brakes and tires and will vary depending on how hard you are pushing it. The worn components can be replaced and I doubt that there would be a problem returning the car when it comes off lease. Tracks are smooth and do not have potholes, the suspension will be much more susceptible to being damaged driving on public roads.

You do have to consider the possibility that the car may be damaged. If you are at a BMWCCA or a PCA track day there will be a lot of traffic and there will be a lot of drivers with marginal abilities around you. I have seen very nice cars get damaged on tracks. Track day insurance is an option.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-31-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0