BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

EXXEL Distributions

10-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #67
kevinD
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 evo 8

i posted a video of my car out there. you can judge for yourself how loud it is.
'08 evo X parts car (future time attack car)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #68
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinD View Post
i posted a video of my car out there. you can judge for yourself how loud it is.
Damn I miss my Evo.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #69
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Everyone,

Unfortunately, I didn't get approval from my wife......So I can't go to the track anytime soon.

I still haven't given up hope in going to the track much later in the future though...

Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #70
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Everyone,

Unfortunately, I didn't get approval from my wife......So I can't go to the track anytime soon.

I still haven't given up hope in going to the track much later in the future though...

Sorry.
What about it did she disapprove of?

Not to rub it in or anything, but I think my wife might get me a new helmet for my b-day/Christmas.
      10-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #71
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
What about it did she disapprove of?

Not to rub it in or anything, but I think my wife might get me a new helmet for my b-day/Christmas.
Well, she feels that it could endanger my life. I've already explained that the track is much safer than public roads, but it'll take time for her to validate my request. She feels that my car will flip over, or I'll get into a heated race with another driver, and my anger will get the best of me afterwards.

I admit, I do get emotional and carried away sometimes........And she just doesn't want me to get hurt.

She's right in her own way, so I can understand.

Although, she knows how badly I wanna go to the track.......So hopefully I'll get permission after a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #72
PLP
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT

Just saw this, I'm interested. Thinking about taking advantage of Harris Hill's October special and joining this week. Any feedback from member of Harris Hill would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #73
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
Just saw this, I'm interested. Thinking about taking advantage of Harris Hill's October special and joining this week. Any feedback from member of Harris Hill would be appreciated.
I guess I could look it up, but what's their special? If I lived in Austin, I'd definitely join. Houston is just far enough away that I'm not sure I could take advantage of it enough to make it worth it...
      10-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #74
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, she feels that it could endanger my life. I've already explained that the track is much safer than public roads, but it'll take time for her to validate my request. She feels that my car will flip over, or I'll get into a heated race with another driver, and my anger will get the best of me afterwards.

I admit, I do get emotional and carried away sometimes........And she just doesn't want me to get hurt.

She's right in her own way, so I can understand.

Although, she knows how badly I wanna go to the track.......So hopefully I'll get permission after a year.
Fair enough. You should let her know that it would be pretty much impossible for you to flip your car and even though you have drivers that pull some dick moves now and then, getting into it with another driver won't fly at the track. You'll get your card pulled in a hurry.
      10-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #75
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
If you are in Austin and want some really good instruction for a fair cost check out Driveway Austin. It is a really good facility that will prepare you for anything H2R (and just about ANY local track) can dish out.

I have already gone through the L1 and L2 curriculum and practice sessions and now am preparing my car for the L3 class I hope to take in the spring.

http://www.drivewayaustin.com/main/content/home

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #76
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by srim3 View Post
hey a'll, I am from Austin, and would be interested too.My M3 should be here probably next week, so if this meet is in few more weeks later then I should be able to join
Hey there Sri! Not sure I will do this or not, but it would be cool to see you out there if I did.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #77
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Kevo View Post
If you are in Austin and want some really good instruction for a fair cost check out Driveway Austin. It is a really good facility that will prepare you for anything H2R (and just about ANY local track) can dish out.

I have already gone through the L1 and L2 curriculum and practice sessions and now am preparing my car for the L3 class I hope to take in the spring.

http://www.drivewayaustin.com/main/content/home
What's up Kevin? Its John w/the AW M3, we did our preliminary L1 course together. Come out to this day at H2R, don't know if you've driven it, but I'm a big fan of the place. I'll be finishing L1 within the next few weeks, though I don't know if I'll do L2.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #78
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I've been a member for a year and recommend it to anyone who wants tracktime but more importantly, a great community of gearheads without the attitude.

The family that owns it is all cars all the time, H2R just fielded two LeMons cars and we had an absolute blast. Many members are racers or instructors and are quick to offer driving coaching when asked.

Eric is usually happy to give potential members a test drive if you've not already. Or PM me if you want to be a guest.

It's not a fast track like TWS or ECR but it is technical and a good track to set up a car. If it works at H2R it should work well elsewhere given the tracks changing camber, elevation, radius and variety of cornering speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #79
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Fair enough. You should let her know that it would be pretty much impossible for you to flip your car and even though you have drivers that pull some dick moves now and then, getting into it with another driver won't fly at the track. You'll get your card pulled in a hurry.
I'll see if I can do some more convincing, but at the end you know the wife always has to win.

It'll take time, but it's a MUST for me to go to the track in the future. It'll be one helluva experience, that's for sure.

Thanks for your understanding man.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #80
kevinD
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 evo 8

hey Nawaaz, since your wife disapproves of the track (as most certainly shes never been out there), take your car autocrossing first to get a feel for what it is capable of. autocrossing is way cheaper, and a good starting point. speeds are much lower, and FAR safer then the track for a rookie. tracks are generally very safe, but there are incidents that happen out there because the speeds are much higher, and it takes a lot longer to slow down (especially when your in the dirt).

if your going to try a track day first, make sure you get an in car instructor. they will yell at you when you do bad stuff, and generally teach you the lay of the land and how to handle certain situations. i would never go out there your first time out without someone who knows what they are doing telling you what to do.

autocross you can do by yourself, just listen to the "walk through" and ask people who look like they know what they are doing if you can ride along and ask if they can give you any pointers or ride with you. generally find someone with a car similair to yours as their pointers will be much more to the point concerning how you need to control your car.

i started in autocross, did quite a few events, then took my 944 turbo out to the track in gingerman raceway in michigan. when i moved down here, i had my evo out autocrossing a bunch the first year and then began tracking it more and more. i don't autocross anymore but it was definately a good way to "work my way up".
'08 evo X parts car (future time attack car)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #81
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinD View Post
hey Nawaaz, since your wife disapproves of the track (as most certainly shes never been out there), take your car autocrossing first to get a feel for what it is capable of. autocrossing is way cheaper, and a good starting point. speeds are much lower, and FAR safer then the track for a rookie. tracks are generally very safe, but there are incidents that happen out there because the speeds are much higher, and it takes a lot longer to slow down (especially when your in the dirt).

if your going to try a track day first, make sure you get an in car instructor. they will yell at you when you do bad stuff, and generally teach you the lay of the land and how to handle certain situations. i would never go out there your first time out without someone who knows what they are doing telling you what to do.

autocross you can do by yourself, just listen to the "walk through" and ask people who look like they know what they are doing if you can ride along and ask if they can give you any pointers or ride with you. generally find someone with a car similair to yours as their pointers will be much more to the point concerning how you need to control your car.

i started in autocross, did quite a few events, then took my 944 turbo out to the track in gingerman raceway in michigan. when i moved down here, i had my evo out autocrossing a bunch the first year and then began tracking it more and more. i don't autocross anymore but it was definately a good way to "work my way up".
Thank you for all of your invaluable advice Kev. I'll keep autocrossing in my mind for the near future. I'm sure that'll be the safest bet since I'd really, really, really hate to mess up at a higher level of driving.

Thanks again man, and I'll see you at your shop on November 9th to do all my installs. The 9th may work out better for me since the 6th is my wife's B-day. Wouldn't want to disappoint her, ya know.

Last edited by Nawaaz; 10-27-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #82
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli024 View Post
It was totaled and yes, I did have a CSL boot. I bought a newer ZCP M3 last week though and plan to transfer all the mods from the old one and continue my track car project. Hopefully we will see you out there in February.
Were you at MSR with The Driver's Edge this past Feb? I saw a CB M3 with a CSL trunk there with the red group (I think).

Good luck with the new car. That really sucks.

Quote:
Everyone,

Sorry.
Try a driving school like Apex or TDE. Yes, its dangerous. So is walking outside. Check their safety records, its pretty good.

Remind your wife that you're a grown man!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #83
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Were you at MSR with The Driver's Edge this past Feb? I saw a CB M3 with a CSL trunk there with the red group (I think).

Good luck with the new car. That really sucks.

Try a driving school like Apex or TDE. Yes, its dangerous. So is walking outside. Check their safety records, its pretty good.

Remind your wife that you're a grown man!
I'll look into those places as well, thanks man.

btw, you know how it is with the ladies, eh...

Don't worry, I'll get my chance sooner or later. She realizes my passion.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #84
PLP
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT

Thanks to all for the feedback, I joined H2R yesterday. I drove the track with Driver's Edge in April. Sounds like there are a few guys on here that have gone to Driver's Edge events. I am familar with Driveway Austin, It seems to me to be rather expensive, especially if you want to be able to drive the grand prix course.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #85
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^That's my problem with Driveway Austin. I don't see the point to spending thousands of dollars before being officially allowed to drive the gp track. When I did my first L1 course they also told me that I wouldn't be able to do it in my M3 as the brakes weren't up to par??

The only thing that's keeping me from joining H2R is the fact that my primary residence is in Houston at the moment. If I lived in Austin all the time then without a doubt I would have joined already.

Enough thread jacking, I'm working on possibly setting up a sponsor for the 2/6 event and it seems that the event will be in the ball park of $275-300 a piece. Who ever is really interested let me know so that I can get an preliminary headcount.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #86
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
^That's my problem with Driveway Austin. I don't see the point to spending thousands of dollars before being officially allowed to drive the gp track. When I did my first L1 course they also told me that I wouldn't be able to do it in my M3 as the brakes weren't up to par??
Last time I was there there were quite a few oak trees and armco/concrete barriers just a few feet off the faster portions of the course, the slower turns had plenty of run-off.

They told you that about your brakes because if they fail your going to hit something hard. The risk-reward ratio of the Driveway is just skewed in the wrong direction, little fun for big risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #87
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^Don't think I rather have such a failure happen in one of their spec mazdas either
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #88
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Enough thread jacking, I'm working on possibly setting up a sponsor for the 2/6 event and it seems that the event will be in the ball park of $275-300 a piece. Who ever is really interested let me know so that I can get an preliminary headcount.
Count me in 100%.