BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

04-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 competition

Selling my 2013 M3 comp, ??? SO CAL

hi all.
i guess this is more of a needing opinions than a sale thread. but im so torn on what to do, i was wondering thoughts on my situation. i know in the end im the only who can make the decision, but im throwing the idea out there and if someone were to offer me a good price on my M, it way sway me.

So my situation is, i find myself in a financial area that if i dont buy a new car soon, then i may not get to, for a long time. Due to kids/school and jobs etc. but as of right now i can afford a new car, and think i should do it soon.

So, as much as i love my M, new M cars , in my opinion, are WAY over priced. I was looking at GTR level cars, a used 2017 ish mode. But for that money, or even less, im now looking at a new or one year old Chevy ZL1 or 1LE. My friend has one and he loves it, and ive driven it and i like it as well. its a beast and has all the options i like. i wont get into comparing M cars to the Camaro, but needless to say, the ZL1, for the money, destroys any M car for that money.

i am leaning more to the 1LE, due to the few track days i do now and then. plus i really like the look and options it comes with. for the money you cant go wrong. It wont be a DD, more of a weekend car and maybe drive it work a few times a week.

But for around 60k i can get a new zl1 and im sure be very happy with that. who knows, im going to test drive them and see what i like. i really miss driving a 3 pedal car, so the 1LE is very tempting.

I do find it hard to get rid of my M3, its been the best car. never had any issues, its been the best car for years. love it. so why do i want to sell it, well to be honest, its kind of slow. my friends ZL1 destroys me, my car cant keep up at any speed. ive never tracked it, it was my original plan, but never got to. i do plan on doing some track days soon and the zl1 or 1LE would be a great track car.

i would love a new M3, but they are close to $90k i cant afford that, and to be honest, thats way over priced for what you get. so below is the info on my M3. if anyone is interested let me know ill entertain offers and go from there. and if anyone has an opinion on the cars ive talked about please feel free to post up.

2013 M3 competition. all stock, never modded, never raced. no accidents, all original, except for ZITO wheels.

36000 miles, Melbourne red.
DCT
parking sensors
MPE ( M performance exhaust )

new tires
new brake pads
oil changed every 5k miles.
M performance flat bottom steering wheel
EAS installed alum paddle shifters
very well cared for
garaged
2nd owner
non smoker
no animals in car ever
no kids in car

( Small door ding on drivers side ) ( small crack in windshield, filled in )
paint is 9.0 out of 10 easy, interior is 9.5 out of ten.

looking to get $40K OBO

here is a pic.

Last edited by patrick smith; 04-06-2019 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Put it on Autotrader or Cars.com, you won't get nothing but low ballers in this forum. Don't rely on just the forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Put it on Autotrader or Cars.com, you won't get nothing but low ballers in this forum. Don't rely on just the forums.
ya ill need to take the next step if im serious about selling it. maybe even KBB.com etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

You wrote a lot. And the only legitimate answer you had for wanting to sell the car is that it is slow.

I'm just not sure how much more power you really need for street use? And if you really want to track the car and want some more low end than just put a blower on it and your car will be more than capable for a couple thousand bucks. It just seems like a bad idea to get rid of a car that has been headache free.. remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side .And the car is by no means slow as talked about in lengths in other threads. You just need to drive the car differently aka rev it out and it gets going.

Just my .02 from a bias e9x owner hehe
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Sell the slow M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Chasing the faster car will make you change cars every few years to fill that void that you want.

Last edited by bvrider1; 04-07-2019 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
You wrote a lot. And the only legitimate answer you had for wanting to sell the car is that it is slow.

I'm just not sure how much more power you really need for street use? And if you really want to track the car and want some more low end than just put a blower on it and your car will be more than capable for a couple thousand bucks. It just seems like a bad idea to get rid of a car that has been headache free.. remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side .And the car is by no means slow as talked about in lengths in other threads. You just need to drive the car differently aka rev it out and it gets going.

Just my .02 from a bias e9x owner hehe
i thought about a blower, but moding cars never works out well, most of the time. plus the SC kits ive seen cost well around 10k, done right. then if your engine can handle it it may last a few years. as all the rod bearing issues can came into play. i had a fully built Suby STi that i tracked, and im kind of done moding cars, like that. ill just buy one thats ready to go.

i know the grass can be bad on the other side, thats one of the reasons holding me back, i would shoot myself if i got a chevy and it was lemon.

i guess "slow" is a relative term, compared to what right. speed is one of the factors here, another is all the cool tech you find in the new cars. i like that, infotainment system, back up cameras, video recording, apple car play, driving modes, digital read outs etc, its all very cool.

im not dissing my M, believe me, its a awesome car, if i get "stuck" with it and keep it for another 5-10 years, i wont be a sad about it.

i guess at some point , like most people, you want a change and want to try something different. seems like all my car friends have moved over to other cars, Zl1, Demon, GT3 etc, i might be feeling like im getting left behind....

ill figure it out at some point.. until ill still enjoy driving my M, its awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep

You have to sit down and ask yourself what your priorities are as far as a car goes. Do you want the newest and the greatest tech? Apple play, updated navigation and interface system? If yes, then just go ahead and get into a brand new car.

My friend is contemplating the same thing, he has an e46 m3 and it was and is his favorite car of all time but the aging technology, no Bluetooth, dated sound system has him contemplating getting the new m3s or even a e9x... he asked me what I would do and I told him the same thing.. do you want new gadgets, bells and whistles? If yes, then go and get a brand new car lol.

Just don't let it be completely based off of how much power it produces, because then you'll be flipping cars after each release of a car with slightly better power..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:16 AM   #9
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

OP it doesn't have to be a supercharger, get some test pipes and a tune, the car becomes infinitely more fun to drive.

I'll admit before whenever I get out of my F80 and into my stock E92, it felt like a Honda Civic. After TP's and a tune, it really wakes up the E92 and it doesn't feel so slow anymore. Feels decently quick now, those simple mods will make you fall in love with your E92 all over again. I also enjoy driving the E92 because of the noise, so get rid of that MPE and get yourself a real exhaust like an Eisenmann race and you'll be all smiles.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #10
cae93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick smith View Post
hi all.

Look at that picture and tell me you want a Camaro.... you have to be insane. I looked at a bunch of US cars for the same reason before I bought my M but couldn't get past that feeling of "silverado" in the interior.

And as for apple play compatibility.... really .....

A friend of mine at work recently bought a new(er) 430 rather than an E9x M for exactly the same reasons you mention, basically having "all the cool new stuff inside". 3 months on and he's in my office on a regular basis staring out the window at my car, biggest case of buyers remorse I've ever seen.

Keep your M, it looks amazing, 3 years from now your Camaro will look old and quirky.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

For the street, I think the M3 has way more than enough power. It only takes a few seconds before you are way beyond street legal speeds. And in reality, we all know that it's rare to be able to really wring this car out on the street.

On the track, I would also argue that the M3 has more than enough power as well. At Big Willow this last weekend, I hit 135 on the front straight and 129 on the back straight. My min speed through turn 8 was 117. At ACS, I routinely hit 145 on the front straight and about 120 through turns 1-2. Bad things can happen if I ever wreck at those speeds. Do you really want to be going faster?
Appreciate 1
Siajoon1859.50
      04-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cae93 View Post
Look at that picture and tell me you want a Camaro.... you have to be insane. I looked at a bunch of US cars for the same reason before I bought my M but couldn't get past that feeling of "silverado" in the interior.

And as for apple play compatibility.... really .....

A friend of mine at work recently bought a new(er) 430 rather than an E9x M for exactly the same reasons you mention, basically having "all the cool new stuff inside". 3 months on and he's in my office on a regular basis staring out the window at my car, biggest case of buyers remorse I've ever seen.

Keep your M, it looks amazing, 3 years from now your Camaro will look old and quirky.
well i guess thats why i still have my M and have not traded it in.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
For the street, I think the M3 has way more than enough power. It only takes a few seconds before you are way beyond street legal speeds. And in reality, we all know that it's rare to be able to really wring this car out on the street.

On the track, I would also argue that the M3 has more than enough power as well. At Big Willow this last weekend, I hit 135 on the front straight and 129 on the back straight. My min speed through turn 8 was 117. At ACS, I routinely hit 145 on the front straight and about 120 through turns 1-2. Bad things can happen if I ever wreck at those speeds. Do you really want to be going faster?
i always want to go faster.
good speeds at willow, thats a little below what i was doing in my fully build Suby STI track car. so that not bad at all. maybe i need to do a few things to my M to renew my love for it. maybe some carbon parts, race wheels/tires, might hold me over for a few years. maybe save up for a GTR .
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick smith View Post
i always want to go faster.
I can appreciate that.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #15
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post

Preach!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #16
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
This is important.

The 3 series BMW is one of the most timeless (production) car designs to have ever existed up to this point in history. I'd say rivaled only by the Porsche 911. The M3 is a better take on that timeless design.

Don't believe me? Every GD car comes with Halos now.

Put a 2008 M3 next to a 2008 Camaro, 2008 mustang, 2008 CTS-V, 2008 Vette and the M3 will look like a masterpiece next to some, disposable design that has bland design with rental car quality interior.

Shit. Put a 1988 e30 M3 next any 5 year old car today and the e30 will win every time.

The M3 is a Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair, most everything else Rooms To Go suburban bullshit that looks boring and dated after a few years.
      04-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #17
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Quote:
This is important.

The 3 series BMW is one of the most timeless (production) car designs to have ever existed up to this point in history. I'd say rivaled only by the Porsche 911. The M3 is a better take on that timeless design.

Don't believe me? Every GD car comes with Halos now.

Put a 2008 M3 next to a 2008 Camaro, 2008 mustang, 2008 CTS-V, 2008 Vette and the M3 will look like a masterpiece next to some, disposable design that has bland design with rental car quality interior.

Shit. Put a 1988 e30 M3 next any 5 year old car today and the e30 will win every time.

The M3 is a Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair, most everything else Rooms To Go suburban bullshit that looks boring and dated after a few years.
I definitely can't deny the classic looks of the BMWs even when I go to Beemer Fest and see the older ones there they still look really good and that's for sure true because I see older Camaros and my ex had a Camaro and now they look horrible five or 10 years down the road I don't know the ZL1 is actually pretty good looking I think but I can't deny the BMW E 92 will still look good five or 10 years down the road
      04-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #18
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep

well just a little update. im now looking at other M3 models. ive got my eye on a 2018 white M3 competition. 13k miles. its come off a 1 year lease. looks clean, not sure white is my first choice in color, but it looks really clean.

if im not mistaken the 2018 M comp , has the 444 hp motor?
Appreciate 0