BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

04-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
wangxiangg
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Borrow racing pads for a week or two

My 2011 M3 recently started to have excessive shaking during (medium to hard) braking, after I left the car sit for 2 weeks during the wet winter, and all the rotors rusted heavily. Took it to dealer and Northeast Motorsports, and both of them recommend replacing the front rotors/pads (dealer quoted $1400) and see if the problem goes away. Neither put my car on the lift and measured using a dial indicator.

I am not sure if I am down to spend $1400 already to see if it will fix my problem. Did some research and came across Dean's thread:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384226

The pad deposit theory made a lot of sense and I would like to try it out first before replacing rotors.

I wonder if anyone local (near Hoboken NJ) has a spare set of racing pads they can lend to me (for a fee that's hopefully less than a new set ) for a week or two (of street driving), in order to get rid of the pad deposit as described in Dean's thread.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I have a set of front and back EBC yellowstuff that I used for a track weekend I'll sell you for $55 shipped. If your interested I'll dig them out the attic and send you some pics. They're noisy and dusty and grabby.. should do the trick for what you need. Like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Yellows...-/252979299613
      04-11-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
wangxiangg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I have a set of front and back EBC yellowstuff that I used for a track weekend I'll sell you for $55 shipped. If your interested I'll dig them out the attic and send you some pics. They're noisy and dusty and grabby.. should do the trick for what you need. Like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Yellows...-/252979299613
Thanks for the recommendation! Let me look into them and also please give me a few days to see if anything turns up locally.
Appreciate 1
puno_049.00
      04-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Someone out there has got to have a used set that has enough material for your purposes. I have several that'd I'd give you but they aren't sized for the OEM caliper. Try posting in the track section.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Use a Flex Hone for rotors to knock down the deposits.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy674.50
      04-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
wangxiangg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
Someone out there has got to have a used set that has enough material for your purposes. I have several that'd I'd give you but they aren't sized for the OEM caliper. Try posting in the track section.
Good suggestion! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
wangxiangg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Use a Flex Hone for rotors to knock down the deposits.
Thanks! Will look into this.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
furry
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Have a set of new track pads if you're interested, PFC 06. $150
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
wangxiangg
Rep

Hi guys, quick update:

Dean from the original thread was kind enough to offer his racing pads for rental, however he reminded me that I needed to check for rotor thickness before attempting his method. Since I can feel the lips on my rotors quite easily (didn't measure with a micrometer), I've decided to just replace the rotors.

Thank you all for the offers/tips!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
For ~$250/rotor for the Zimmermans, and $80 for pads (I like the Stoptech Sport pads and run them year round), you can DIY this quite easily. It's really not a difficult job. Will save you a ton of money.
      04-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
daarts
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If your rotors are above minimum thickness, why not just try heat cycling/rebedding the brakes first before swapping to race pads? There are various methods but pretty much a couple sets of 8-10 hard stops (just before abs) from 60 to 10mph should do it then let the brakes cool by driving at highway speeds for a few minutes.

This has worked for me in the past.
      04-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
wangxiangg
Rep

yes and I can buy from FCP Euro to take advantage of their lifetime replacement policy.

But the PFC DD v3 rotors are starting to grow on me. Probably overkill for me though since I don't track. Decisions decisions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
For ~$250/rotor for the Zimmermans, and $80 for pads (I like the Stoptech Sport pads and run them year round), you can DIY this quite easily. It's really not a difficult job. Will save you a ton of money.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy674.50
      04-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
wangxiangg
Rep

Thanks for sharing the experience!

I actually thought about it too, but quite concerned with the shaking under hard braking. Mine is pretty bad... Would it damage the suspension or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daarts View Post
If your rotors are above minimum thickness, why not just try heat cycling/rebedding the brakes first before swapping to race pads? There are various methods but pretty much a couple sets of 8-10 hard stops (just before abs) from 60 to 10mph should do it then let the brakes cool by driving at highway speeds for a few minutes.

This has worked for me in the past.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
daarts
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangxiangg View Post
Thanks for sharing the experience!

I actually thought about it too, but quite concerned with the shaking under hard braking. Mine is pretty bad... Would it damage the suspension or something else?
A little tricky in that case. Mine was mostly pad deposit and actually smoothed out with harder braking as opposed to normal street driving. If it's that bad then maybe not the best idea.
      04-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #15
wangxiangg
Rep

Quote:
A little tricky in that case. Mine was mostly pad deposit and actually smoothed out with harder braking as opposed to normal street driving. If it's that bad then maybe not the best idea.
Were you able to see/feel the uneven pad deposit on the rotors though? And when you brake hard, did your steering wheel shake, and you could hear a lot of road noise like you were driving on an uneven road?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #16
daarts
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Were you able to see/feel the uneven pad deposit on the rotors though? And when you brake hard, did your steering wheel shake, and you could hear a lot of road noise like you were driving on an uneven road?
Yes, I had all those issues. Interior felt like it was going to rattle apart lol. That said mine took place after a pretty hard run here in SoCal. Not sure if having the car sitting for a while would affect it differently.

If you are worried, I would try to find an opportunity for slightly harder braking from a slower speed first to see if it will be safe to attempt rebidding. My noise/vibration was nowhere near as bad when braking hard than when pressing more lightly.

Worst case, track pads are always an option, but might not be necessary is this approach works and can be done safely.
      04-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
wangxiangg
Rep

Ok sounds good! Yeah I felt my car was going to fall apart as well, haha.

To be honest I think the shaking has gotten better, so I might as well give the rebedding technique a go!

Thanks again for sharing!

Quote:
Yes, I had all those issues. Interior felt like it was going to rattle apart lol. That said mine took place after a pretty hard run here in SoCal. Not sure if having the car sitting for a while would affect it differently.

If you are worried, I would try to find an opportunity for slightly harder braking from a slower speed first to see if it will be safe to attempt rebidding. My noise/vibration was nowhere near as bad when braking hard than when pressing more lightly.

Worst case, track pads are always an option, but might not be necessary is this approach works and can be done safely.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #18
daarts
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok sounds good! Yeah I felt my car was going to fall apart as well, haha.

To be honest I think the shaking has gotten better, so I might as well give the rebedding technique a go!

Thanks again for sharing!
Good luck!