BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
seatbelt pre lci vs lci question (pic inside)

So, I'm taking apart some seatbelts, and do not understand why some of them have these yellow/white wire plugs. Can someone help? It is found in both E90 and E92.

A LOT of other seatbelts do not have them. It doesn't seem like an add-on thing and is an entirely different unit.

Is it maybe an LCI thing? Is it only found in LCI seatbelts or like a 2010+ thing?

03-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Yes I believe the older ones are mechanical locking only and the newer ones lock automatically if the airbag deploys...
      03-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Yes I believe the older ones are mechanical locking only and the newer ones lock automatically if the airbag deploys...
Ah, so it's a mechanical locking device for the seatbelt..
Like a restraint system. Thanks!
      04-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

It depends on where the manufacturer installs the 'pre-tensioner'.
Some manufacturers install it on the buckle, like Ford/Mazda.
When you get in a front end collision and the seat belt locks mechanically, and the buckle pops a discharge (like an airbag) which pulls the seat belt tighter to remove slack to reduce body movement.

Some manufacturers put it in the seat belt mechanism itself and perform the same action, once it locks, it discharges to ratchet it back and tighten the seat belt.

I've also seen some manufacturers do both.

Probably lci/pre-lci changed where they located the pretensioners.
I know my 2013 e92has it in the buckle, if you remove the seat, and look at the buckle, it'll have a similar connector and a long tube on the bottom, that's the pretentioner discharge.
I haven't taken my seat belt out so, there's apparently one on the seat belt as well.

(Apologies for any miss-spelling, typing on my phone at the bar)

Side note: son of a bitch I just noticed this post was a month ago. I'll leave this for future readers information.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #5
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-los View Post
It depends on where the manufacturer installs the 'pre-tensioner'.
Some manufacturers install it on the buckle, like Ford/Mazda.
When you get in a front end collision and the seat belt locks mechanically, and the buckle pops a discharge (like an airbag) which pulls the seat belt tighter to remove slack to reduce body movement.

Some manufacturers put it in the seat belt mechanism itself and perform the same action, once it locks, it discharges to ratchet it back and tighten the seat belt.

I've also seen some manufacturers do both.

Probably lci/pre-lci changed where they located the pretensioners.
I know my 2013 e92has it in the buckle, if you remove the seat, and look at the buckle, it'll have a similar connector and a long tube on the bottom, that's the pretentioner discharge.
I haven't taken my seat belt out so, there's apparently one on the seat belt as well.

(Apologies for any miss-spelling, typing on my phone at the bar)

Side note: son of a bitch I just noticed this post was a month ago. I'll leave this for future readers information.
You've actually been very insightful. And, thankfully I did also find this information not too long ago too. It makes sense now! I have found that 2008-2010 had the buckle and retractor itself.
2010 (some)-2013 have the pre-tensioner wire.
      04-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Glad I could help, even if late, hahaha
Appreciate 0