BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #45
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impastokitsch View Post

Im on decat stock Xpipe with straight through on my MPE
This does not apply to you. The stock xpipe will not have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:56 PM   #46
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impastokitsch View Post
Am from Singapore

I was on Etuner Map and one of my buddy purchased alpine mss tune from alex 2 weeks back and he was enjoying the bubbles and flame of this map.

With tht, i have also purchased the tune few days back and im waiting for the kit to arrive

I m writing to say my buddy do not have this issues so far but could it be octane98 gas do not face such issues? Anyway Alex is good in customer service; he answer all questions within hours on the same day.

Im on decat stock Xpipe with straight through on my MPE

Cant wait for the tune to happen
Problem only occurs on x-pipe with a very forward located x joint (immediately behind the gearbox) . Other x pipes with stock located joints (near the middle, above the metal bridge/bracket) don't seem to face this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:19 AM   #47
Impastokitsch
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Problem only occurs on x-pipe with a very forward located x joint (immediately behind the gearbox) . Other x pipes with stock located joints (near the middle, above the metal bridge/bracket) don't seem to face this issue.
Just got the package with love from LA
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 04:01 AM   #48
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Stage 2 tune, BW resonated x-pipe, OEM rear section, Dinan intake, 92 oct, 6mt.

I don't notice a wild drop in power like some have mentioned, but there does seem to be slight hesitation in that rpm range (rasp more than anything). Let me know if I can be of assistance? Looking forward to positive results!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #49
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Usaf View Post
Stage 2 tune, BW resonated x-pipe, OEM rear section, Dinan intake, 92 oct, 6mt.

I don't notice a wild drop in power like some have mentioned, but there does seem to be slight hesitation in that rpm range (rasp more than anything). Let me know if I can be of assistance? Looking forward to positive results!
For me, it's not as noticeable in normal street driving. As you are mostly part throttle there. I don't drive in D mode often so that could be why. Others have mentioned something similar happening in higher gears at lower rpm trying to accelerate.

The issue is most apparent for my when launching the car at an autox event. Look at this video, you can hear it as the car stops accelerating for a split second.

On a DCT car it is when trying to launch the car smoothly. If you just stomp on the pedal the DCT will just raise the RPM and dump the clutch and you'll have a smokey burn out and won't notice this issue.

On a 6MT car I am not sure how to best reproduce this, but you would need to be at WOT at around 1500 rpm, then once over 2k is where it is usually felt.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:58 AM   #50
dmlf
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 + Many saabs

Any news from the test group ?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:25 AM   #51
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlf View Post
Any news from the test group ?
I tested it yesterday, there is a big improvement. On part throttle it's almost gone, on full throttle there is still some hesitation but definitely not even close to what was before. The car doesn't choke any more and that weird loud (intake?) rasp is gone too.
I'm not sure if I posted it, but you could cleary hear it at the beginning of this video. I floored it in 1st at low rpm and it choked for a brief second at first - that's the issue everyone is refering to here. This is now gone

10-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #52
dmlf
Rep

Ahhh ! That's great news. I'd like to be able to test this as soon as I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #53
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
I tested it yesterday, there is a big improvement. On part throttle it's almost gone, on full throttle there is still some hesitation but definitely not even close to what was before.
Did you test the first file or the 2nd revision?
Only did 1 drive on the second file and I am feeling like the first might have been better when launching it.

I need to do a few more drives to tell for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #54
gh0stE92M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
I tested it yesterday, there is a big improvement. On part throttle it's almost gone, on full throttle there is still some hesitation but definitely not even close to what was before.
Did you test the first file or the 2nd revision?
Only did 1 drive on the second file and I am feeling like the first might have been better when launching it.

I need to do a few more drives to tell for sure.
I tried the second file and it has improved partial throttle but wot still hesitates a little bit from 2k-3k then it drives normal. I have a 6mt and if I wot at 2.5k rpm it isn't as noticeable, but from 2k it's still there but not as bad as before. I'm hoping the next file will be better.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #55
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm going to retract some of and add on to my previous post. It absolutely bogs until 2.5k rpm. Did a 3rd gear roll around 1/2 throttle, and that's all I needed to confirm. Took a video but it probably wouldn't help much. I honestly thought it was just the engine power curve but putting 2 and 2 together makes much more sense now. I'm also about certain the rasp is a byproduct of it.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 04:46 AM   #56
dmlf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Usaf View Post
I'm going to retract some of and add on to my previous post. It absolutely bogs until 2.5k rpm. Did a 3rd gear roll around 1/2 throttle, and that's all I needed to confirm. Took a video but it probably wouldn't help much. I honestly thought it was just the engine power curve but putting 2 and 2 together makes much more sense now. I'm also about certain the rasp is a byproduct of it.
Alex@Alpine is curently working on a solution to this issue, be patient and I'm sure he will be able to provide a solid tune for this.
Appreciate 1
m3jala543.50
      11-03-2020, 05:04 AM   #57
gh0stE92M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So any updates from people that have gotten on the test file with alpine? Or has this issue died out? Still considering going with epic tune if this doesn't get resolved or just change out the whole system I'm running.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:49 AM   #58
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stE92M3 View Post
So any updates from people that have gotten on the test file with alpine? Or has this issue died out? Still considering going with epic tune if this doesn't get resolved or just change out the whole system I'm running.
It's much better, the issue is 90% gone for me. I sent Alex some logs after testing revision #2. It's much more livable now. I just feel a very slight change at that rpm. It's not a hesitation anymore where the car stops accelerating. It's more of a change over like when Vtech kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #59
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

What I'd like to see now is a comparison of the Epic tune vs Alpine tune w/ the BW x-pipe. I'm sure there's not much difference but it would be nice to compare the two.
      11-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #60
fth001
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

Quote:
It's much better, the issue is 90% gone for me. I sent Alex some logs after testing revision #2. It's much more livable now. I just feel a very slight change at that rpm. It's not a hesitation anymore where the car stops accelerating. It's more of a change over like when Vtech kicks in.
Agreed, I was able to put my BW pipe back on this weekend and test out the new tune. I would say that it's much better now. I can accelerate hard in 3rd and 4th now and not put my car in limp mode. You can still feel a little hesitation but its gone almost immediately under throttle. Just need to add the burbles back in this tune and I think we're good.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #61
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
What I'd like to see now is a comparison of the Epic tune vs Alpine tune w/ the BW x-pipe. I'm sure there's not much difference but it would be nice to compare the two.
How would you compare the two objectively? Usually dynos don't start until after 3k.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #62
gh0stE92M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's funny when I offered to send Alex logs he said logs aren't gonna fix the issue. Glad it's working better for you. Hope he gets this sorted out.
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2620.50
      11-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #63
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's funny when I offered to send Alex logs he said logs aren't gonna fix the issue. Glad it's working better for you. Hope he gets this sorted out.
And logs aren't still going to fix the issue. The vehicle is in a transitional period from part throttle to full throttle. Only back and forth testing is going to fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #64
gh0stE92M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And logs aren't still going to fix the issue. The vehicle is in a transitional period from part throttle to full throttle. Only back and forth testing is going to fix the issue.
I totally agree with you that logs aren't going to fix the issue, but using the logs as a tool to actually see what's going on during that transitional period will help instead of "tell me whats happening". With previous cars I've owned whenever there's an issue with how the car runs my tuner would ask for logs to be able to replicate the issue so he could see what the car is actually doing. I maybe new to the whole bmw dme scene but I've been around cars and building them for some time. Call me old school but logs help to figure out the problem and help you as the tuner to solve the problem. Making a generic tune for a platform is fine, but from my experience every car is different, and every car runs differently. Hence why each issue varies a little.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #65
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I totally agree with you that logs aren't going to fix the issue, but using the logs as a tool to actually see what's going on during that transitional period will help instead of "tell me whats happening". With previous cars I've owned whenever there's an issue with how the car runs my tuner would ask for logs to be able to replicate the issue so he could see what the car is actually doing. I maybe new to the whole bmw dme scene but I've been around cars and building them for some time. Call me old school but logs help to figure out the problem and help you as the tuner to solve the problem. Making a generic tune for a platform is fine, but from my experience every car is different, and every car runs differently. Hence why each issue varies a little.
The problem was identified. Going back and forth between logs will not do anything at all period. I am sorry you are unhappy with this answer but this specific problem isn't going to get fixed by multiple logs from the car.

You can ask every single person in the test group, I did not ask any of them for logs. The gentleman above and another gentleman from overseas volunteered their logs without me asking them.

If you still keep in contact with your respected tuner ask if the transition period from part throttle to full throttle can be fixed through multiple logs. Yes, you will see the original problem in the log but at the end of the day only user feedback will tell you if the problem is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #66
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
How would you compare the two objectively? Usually dynos don't start until after 3k.
that's a good point. I've not had a car dyno'd in a while. Not sure other than logs but even still, same environment, temps, etc. could wreak havoc.