BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #45
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
S65 engine temp gets extremely hot even at high speed circuits like Suzuka, can't imagine what the bearing temperature would look like doing 1-5mph with barely any cooling. This one was a VANOS chain but can't imagine the bearing condition would be good with this usage either.

10-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #46
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
As a new owner of 2 weeks, this thread fills me with dread.

So not only do I have to consider RB’s but even if I change these, the main bearing can go also?!
Very rare compared to rod bearing failure. And too expensive to change preventatively if you have to pay labor. Not worth worrying about.
Umm so what causes it and how is it prevented? Geeze this thing makes me nervous now.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #47
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
threads like this make me feel better for doing my RBs right after I purchased the car, not doing donuts, or revving the engine while cold, or drifting the damn thing lol
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #48
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

230k Kms, no issues ever! Change my rod bearing at 160k kms for the hell of it. They came out pristine btw.
      10-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #49
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
230k Kms, no issues ever! Change my rod bearing at 160k kms for the hell of it. They came out pristine btw.
Pristine at 160k km? Did you ever share some pics??
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #50
JBG84
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
I religiously took care to avoid all those things and I don't have a supercharger. There was no reason at all for this. I've owned the car for 4 years since it had 12k miles... unless previous owner absolutely beat the crap out of it, which it didn't look like since the engine, exterior and interior were pristine, then there's no reason for this other than a premature RB failure.

Edit: stock redline.
Sorry to hear. But you ponder, how many of those miles were track?

I was looking to purchase one 10K miles, pristine inside and out. Owner claimed no person had ever been in the back seat. However, given the car he was replacing it with was a Porche GT3... I'd say more than likely his had seen track time.

You have to ask yourself. How much of the engines life has likely been spent above 5000rpm.

The M3 that I did end up buying, the M-drive came programmed on Lv 5. That lets the engine hit 8000rpm routinely before upshifting (upon full-throttle). IMO I see no need for that, Lv 3 still gets you to 7000rpm that's plenty power/noise to enjoy without unnecessary motor/oil stress. So for me, that's a warning sign and am all prepped to do rod and main bearing replacement in near future.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:27 AM   #51
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
I religiously took care to avoid all those things and I don't have a supercharger. There was no reason at all for this. I've owned the car for 4 years since it had 12k miles... unless previous owner absolutely beat the crap out of it, which it didn't look like since the engine, exterior and interior were pristine, then there's no reason for this other than a premature RB failure.

Edit: stock redline.
Sorry to hear. But you ponder, how many of those miles were track?

I was looking to purchase one 10K miles, pristine inside and out. Owner claimed no person had ever been in the back seat. However, given the car he was replacing it with was a Porche GT3... I'd say more than likely his had seen track time.

You have to ask yourself. How much of the engines life has likely been spent above 5000rpm.

The M3 that I did end up buying, the M-drive came programmed on Lv 5. That lets the engine hit 8000rpm routinely before upshifting (upon full-throttle). IMO I see no need for that, Lv 3 still gets you to 7000rpm that's plenty power/noise to enjoy without unnecessary motor/oil stress. So for me, that's a warning sign and am all prepped to do rod and main bearing replacement in near future.
That's garbage. I'm not seeing engines fail more often on cars that are tracked. If you're worried about abuse it would be high revs when the engine is cold, but you'll never know unless you're the only person who ever drove the car, and the bearings could still fail because there is a design flaw.

Furthermore I think the point of the engineering if this car is to rev it all the way out, because that's where the power is. They could have made a low revving V8 but they didn't. There's plenty of turbo cars that give you nothing more when you rev them out and are more fun in the mid range, but that's not the s65. I mean it's your money and your choice on how to drive the car you buy, but I feel you are misunderstanding this platform and what is and isn't harmful to it.
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #52
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower603 View Post
@Assimilator1: Count it!
Thanks , but unfortunately your tag is broken and so I didn't get a notification.
I don't know how to tag either, can someone tell us?

Btw folks, feel free to tag me if ...... when the next engine failure happens, I rarely look through all the new threads but I do get notifications (hmm, I need to activate email notification[edit]I had anyway, but it doesn't work!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
It is in the S65 technical information.

Meanwhile, Vettes for example have had dry sumps for many years. In the C8 development interviews the Jueutcher guy (hard name I can't spell) said they had improved their dry sump system since the C7 gen and this time they had lost many fewer engines. He quoted their lateral G handling for the C8 gen at 1.25g. Really makes me wonder what the C7 had.

'Dry sump' is yet another word in the long list of words that mean very little. Right along 'purpose built sports car'. It checks a box but provides very little actual information.
I would think the G pulled at the front end of the car during a donut is very small anyway, sometimes 1 front wheel is near enough stationary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Oh? Can you show us some photos? If that's the case then I'll add you to the list of (so far) 2 OEM sets out of 525 which have come out pristine!
But often people mistake the moderate wear on the LCI bearings as pristine, when they're not.

Last edited by Assimilator1; 04-20-2021 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0