BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #133
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Also, BMW manuals aren’t the best. I’ve owned two Z4 and E46 M3) and both were pretty sloppy to shift. Porsche is waaaaaay ahead in this regard.
Absolutely true. Stock BMW manuals are absolutely garbage feeling, the main reason why I avoided them for so long. Notchy, imprecise, and rubbery. Yuck.

I actually stumbled upon this thread here These guys claims it can be fixed!

Without ever experiencing a BMW manual with a proper shift kit, I took a big gamble and bought a 6MT E90 M3, then called up Ronald @ AutoSolutions to order one of his shifters while my E90 was still in transport lol.

After installing the kit, my reaction was

Felt like someone removed the OEM transmission and installed a crossbreed from a GT350 and an S2000. It's probably one of the best shifters now, feels real mechanical with extremely accurate rifle bolt action feeling. All vagueness is gone, that terrible rubbery feeling? GONE. It just clicks into place and it still blows my mind every time I drive the car.

Video credit goes to another forum member.

Last edited by DanMpower; 10-18-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
MJBO2496.00
      10-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #134
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yeah, I'll add to my previous post that I drove a 6MT and wasn't thrilled before I bought my DCT. I'd love to try an AS kitted version
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #135
e46IX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E92 M3, F80 M3

*sigh* I wish I has tried an AS SSK on my 6MT E90 before I sold it. I had one on my E46 M3 and it was a massive improvement.. and the Getrag 420G in the 46M is considerably worse than the Getrag unit in the E9X M3. I have a DCT E92 now... I may consider swapping to manual if I miss it too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #136
djsilverjohnson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

We used a UUC ultimate kit in my wife's E46 5-speed convertible and it made a big difference without feeling too metallic.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:31 AM   #137
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
*Warning, completely subjective opinion ahead*

I'm going on 5 M3s here, 3 were DCT, and 2 were 6MT. Had my F80 for over 2 years, during that ownership I added a couple of E92 M3 DCTs to the stable. The E92s never stayed more than 3 months after the honeymoon phase, frankly, I expected them to be much more fun considering the hype. I nearly gave up on the platform and jump to an E46...

In comes the E9x M3 with a 6MT modded with a great aftermarket shifter, the driving dynamics were enough to make me sell my F80 instantly with zero regrets. This magical combo has given me such an insane amount of driving pleasure, it's amazing what a difference transmission choice makes on this car for me. I'm not out chasing numbers, I left the F80 because it was such a digital and sterile driving experience, it was fun because it was fast. I wanted my DD to be fun because it was visceral and analog, I wanted it to tickle all my senses; a naturally aspirated V8 that revs to 8400 mated to a manual 6spd gives me EXACTLY what I was searching for.

I'm not sure if anybody else does this but when I had my DCT equipped E92 M3s, driving around town I would purposely lift, pretend I had a clutch pedal, then upshift with the DCT knob before getting back onto the throttle trying to replicate that "manual" feeling. My wife would always ask me WTF am I doing.
I lift for a down shift. makes the DCT predict the next gear (next lowest) correctly so the shift feels responsive when down shift. If you think about it though, I might be getting to that lower gear slower this way than just down shifting with my foot on the throttle rather than take a moment to lift then shift. But whatever, I like the shift to happen instantly when I give the car an input, so this feels good to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:39 AM   #138
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Also, BMW manuals aren't the best. I've owned two Z4 and E46 M3) and both were pretty sloppy to shift. Porsche is waaaaaay ahead in this regard.
Absolutely true. Stock BMW manuals are absolutely garbage feeling, the main reason why I avoided them for so long. Notchy, imprecise, and rubbery. Yuck.

I actually stumbled upon this thread here These guys claims it can be fixed!

Without ever experiencing a BMW manual with a proper shift kit, I took a big gamble and bought a 6MT E90 M3, then called up Ronald @ AutoSolutions to order one of his shifters while my E90 was still in transport lol.

After installing the kit, my reaction was

Felt like someone removed the OEM transmission and installed a crossbreed from a GT350 and an S2000. It's probably one of the best shifters now, feels real mechanical with extremely accurate rifle bolt action feeling. All vagueness is gone, that terrible rubbery feeling? GONE. It just clicks into place and it still blows my mind every time I drive the car.

Video credit goes to another forum member.
That shift action does look great
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:43 AM   #139
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

These cars absolutely need an SSK and it would be my first mod to a 6MT car. My E46 was a 6MT (wouldn't have it any other way) and had a Rogue Octane SSK, transformed the total meh shifting experience (along with a UCP pedal) into a highlight of the car (a Dinan S3+ with lots of goodies!).

I do really like the DCT. 2+ years with it now and still love it every time, it just fits the car and my preferences these days. Maybe in 10 years I'll wish it were a 6MT, but I bought the car for now and not then, and wouldn't change it now.

I remember driving an E9XM for the first time and I got in it thinking "okay too bad it's a flappy paddle DCT, but let's see what this engine/chassis is all about." And I left thinking about how good the engine/DCT combo was. It's still the highlight of the car IMO. But 6MTs have their place too! Not hating either way.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:15 AM   #140
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
I remember driving an E9XM for the first time and I got in it thinking "okay too bad it's a flappy paddle DCT, but let's see what this engine/chassis is all about." And I left thinking about how good the engine/DCT combo was. It's still the highlight of the car IMO. But 6MTs have their place too! Not hating either way.
Having spent a bit of time driving the newer M cars with the 8-speed auto, makes me sad the new M3/M4 have ditched the DCT. For tootling around town the new boxes are great, super smooth, but they just aren't aggressive enough when you want to have fun.

The M8 Competition wouldn't downshift anywhere near high in the rev range, and never had that neck-snapping speed of my DCT. Awesome car though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wyatth3544.00
      10-20-2020, 06:35 AM   #141
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

^ Agreed, personally not as much experience with the new 8ATs, but the little I have plus by most accounts, they are smooth and fast but not as visceral or special feeling. They just feel like a really good AT whereas the DCT feels and drives like a manual but without the manually-operated clutch pedal.
I simply would not have bought this car if the paddle option was a ZF8 (or perhaps I'd be in a 6MT). 6MT guys can preach ad nauseam about how boring/lazy/untalented/auto-feeling/flappy a DCT car is, but most of that is just dick wagging to feel good about what they have. In fact, 2 friends and fellow members with 6MTs have said they wish their car was DCT!
Both options are great on this car and the F80. Same cannot be said for the E36, 46, or G80!
Appreciate 0