BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Questions to those who have painted their stock exhausts?

I've been going back and forth on the idea of changing my stock exhaust for a long time, but I just don't want to spend 2 grand on an exhaust right now since I could use the money else where (my wedding in 9 months, new house, furniture, ect..).

The plan for now is to paint the stock exhaust and to possibly change out the tips. My questions are;

1. How has the painted exhaust held up over time?
2. What's the proper way to prep and paint the exhaust for it to last?
3. Are the stock tips interchangable? Any suggestions?
4. Is there a DIY for this project?

Thanks for your input.
Nick
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"

Last edited by MMMorish; 12-30-2009 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I had the stock muffler and pipes powdercoated by a local shop for $85.

1. I didn't have it on the car that long, but it seemed to be holding up well. Apparently the powdercoater can only use specific colors, as others will not hold up to the heat well. It was matte black FYI.

2. I've refinished cheap wheels myself, but not an exhaust. In the case of the wheels, there was a special spray to be used (sold at most auto parts stores), then the wheels had to be scuffed/sanded to prep the surface, then painted with multiple coats. It's a fair amount of work to do properly.

3. The tips have rivets which can be drilled out to release them. You would then need to find another set of tips with the same diameter, drill them in the same places, and rivet them on. Shouldn't be a huge deal. The other option is to have them welded. I would be concerned about noise potentially escaping at the rivet point and causing odd sounds. So this could take some tweaking to get it right.

4. I think there is, although not super-detailed; there are a couple of owners that have posted about it.

I would definitely recommend painting it - makes the rear of the car look 100 times better.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

I think if u do a few sanding sessions from rough to smoother grit and put a few layers of header paint u should b ok. I painted some muffler tips this way on an old car i once had and let them dry for a couple days. They ended up holding up pretty well. Had them for about 7 months with no issues.

Its all in the way u prep it. But I do agree it will look 100 times better then stock.
      12-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i did what you are proposing...mainly for the same reasons, except i also didnt want added sound.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325458

some pics of mine are there, lower in the first post/
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
i did what you are proposing...mainly for the same reasons, except i also didnt want added sound.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325458

some pics of mine are there, lower in the first post/
Did you change your tips?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
+1

How did you do it? How much did it cost?
      12-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
+1

How did you do it? How much did it cost?

Yes,
i hated the fat sausage stock tips, and since my car has a black chrome theme and its easier to clean...plus wanted a bigger diameter and a slant.

they are rivetted on, and welded as well to ensure they stay secure and aligned...im anal.

Well the tips were custom made, and the install and painting together was a few hundred bucks- excluding tips..
Attached Images

12-31-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes,
i hated the fat sausage stock tips, and since my car has a black chrome theme and its easier to clean...plus wanted a bigger diameter and a slant.

they are rivetted on, and welded as well to ensure they stay secure and aligned...im anal.

Well the tips were custom made, and the install and painting together was a few hundred bucks- excluding tips..
That looks perfect! I think that is the route I'm going to go. What diameter are those tips?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That looks perfect! I think that is the route I'm going to go. What diameter are those tips?
thanks a lot
i am very happy with the results.
i believe they are the same size as stock, just much thinner, so that makes them appear much bigger, and nicer in my opinion,
the slant looks better in real life.

i am thinking about selling my current setup (if the offers make it worth it) when my new exhaust comes in spring/summer hopefully.

Last edited by niqui; 12-31-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: below post about mm measurement.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

This is Going to Sound Hoaky

I've had good results with brush on Rustoleum Hi-Heat enamel in flat BBQ black. I've used it to hide unpainted chassis and exhaust system parts that can catch your eye (not in a good way) when looking at car (usually from the back). This isn't a concours solution, but it's a quick and easy spot solution. It's held up on our Accord's muffler and rear exhaust piping for 9 years. I don't think it would be a good solution for the M3 muffler as it's too big and too exposed.
      12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

Quote:
thanks a lot
i am very happy with the results.
i believe they are 83mm like stock, just much thinner, so that makes them appear much bigger, and nicer in my opinion,
the slant looks better in real life.

i am thinking about selling my current setup (if the offers make it worth it) when my new exhaust comes in spring/summer hopefully.
they look about the same size as stock but stock is 75mm. If you want to get an idea of what 83mm looks like, eisenmann's lemans tips are 83mm.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
they look about the same size as stock but stock is 75mm. If you want to get an idea of what 83mm looks like, eisenmann's lemans tips are 83mm.
ok
thks, they are supposed to be around the same as stock, but thinner, so they look bigge,r