BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #309
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

You heard the vid I posted though right??

It was like a ringing noise..

then again it could have been at cold start up and he was revving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #310
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped B6 View Post
You heard the vid I posted though right??

It was like a ringing noise..

then again it could have been at cold start up and he was revving it.
Yes I did notice that on the vid. When I'm outside on cold start, it's just damn loud with my guts vibrating... but I do not hear that noise.

You might want to ask Eloy at RPI.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #311
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This is what im talking about....

hear the tinnyness in the back?
Sounds almost like something is loose and rattling around. You can hear it in gogoevo's vid, too.
      06-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #312
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I have read it through the 15 pages. I just have 2 questions

1. does the CEL come on?? at all??

2. If it does come on or had, how many cases of the CEL coming on??
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #313
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeatsworld View Post
Yes I did notice that on the vid. When I'm outside on cold start, it's just damn loud with my guts vibrating... but I do not hear that noise.

You might want to ask Eloy at RPI.
I'm just about to message him... I really really hope that's just a cold startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Sounds almost like something is loose and rattling around. You can hear it in gogoevo's vid, too.
I really think something is just touching something makeing it ring like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #314
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I really think something is just touching something makeing it ring like that.
My thoughts exactly.
      06-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #315
NFDoms2k1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cute Little Convertible

Hey all, I've had the full RPI GT on for about 1000 miles, half of which I had the corresponding RPi ECU tune by Powerchip. Here are my thoughts and some answers to your questions (done very quickly so I apologize for any errors):

I ordered the exhaust in late April while RPi was still running a free delivery special. Thinking that since it was going to be free, it was going to be slow, I was very wrong. It only took like 3 business days, so the first impression I got was very solid. Opening the box, the construction of the piece was of very high quality. Very clean welds, great lines (its almost a shame this thing is hidden under the car!) good material and very lightweight. I had to wait a few days before I could get to a lift, for I needed all the help I could get as it was going to be a DIY and I am not the best with a wrench (I figured though bolt-ons are suppose to be easy). And relatively easy it was, but even with the lift it did take me about 3.5 hours with a little help (help is definitely needed to bring down the muffler section and even the front pipes, both are heavy!). If I had to do the switch again after doing it once, it probably wouldn’t take me more than 45 minutes to do the front/mid pipes and another half hour to do the full exhaust.

When I first fired it up I was a little concerned, for I was hearing that metallic gurgling sound that I had heard about on this thread, although I hadn't noticed it in any of the videos. The first day it was very bad, there was a lot of drone, and I was having a lot of problems with what almost felt like turbo lag - and I could actually hear it too, as it almost sounded as if nothing was coming out of the exhaust at those times. I didn’t know whether I had somehow screwed up the install or what, especially since the OP had such great results immediately. I checked it again and everything seemed right, so I could only attribute it to the exhaust being brand new for one, and on top of that the computer was probably confused as hell with the second O2 sensor’s readings. And just to answer the question and not jump ahead, my CEL light never went on for the 500 miles I was going tuneless.

Every time I drove it sounded better, the drone reduced, and the "lag" feeling became less frequent and less severe, but it did take about 200 miles before I actually noticed better throttle response and power increase on the butt dyno. I still wasn't thrilled about it though, and expressed my concerns to Eloy (a great engineer and solid dude by the way). In fact I probably took out some frustration I had with the exhaust on him unfairly, but even so he would always get back to me right away. He told me the S65 engine was very raspy by nature, and the since the GT Race was so free flowing it just carried the engine’s sound through more purely. For the rasp he recommended DEI wraps and new gaskets.

The big change came when I finally got it tuned. It really made a huge difference immediately. No issues with any lag or momentary power losses, the drone which was only occurring under load from 1500-2000 RPM was greatly reduced and now extremely tolerable (girls would finally ride in the car again without negative comment) and the full power increase was finally felt, and the extra hp came extremely smoothly. I also noticed the volume of the exhaust inside the car had greatly decreased (it wasn't giving me a headache anymore when I drove with the top down) while at the same time for those on the outside of the car, particularly behind me, it got even louder. Extremely loud but not in an obnoxious way, was how more than one person described it. In fact I've been at two rallys now where people have stopped their showing off to just get in behind me to listen for a few minutes. I can't tell you how many times people have then come up to me to compliment my sound and ask me what kind of exhaust I was running. And it hasn’t just been other M3s owners - I had the privilege of being the least exotic car at an exotics car show (I was involved in the charity which was benefiting so they made an exemption). There were 6 LP640s, 6 F430s, 3 Superleggaras and 3 regular Gallardos, a GCT, that crazy SSC Ultimate Aero TT, McClaren SLR, you name it. Anyway at one point I had a Murcielago pull behind me for a bit, and then when we stopped the driver found me and gave me props (granted his DD was an M5, so he was probably the only Italian car owner who had an appreciation and interest for an M exhaust).

So with the first thousand under my belt I must say that I am very happy with my exhaust. I will admit its not perfect, as at least for me the rasp is not to my taste, but many of the other GT Race owners will tell you that it suits them just fine. As such I know Eloy and team are developing some new front pipes with small, low restriction resonators on them and I will likely be getting those as soon as they are available. If anyone has any further or more specific questions, there are a whole host of us that can answer them for you, so don’t hesitate to PM me.
      06-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #316
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Got a call from Eloy today. He is shipping out my missing X pipe pronto. Hope to install the exhaust next weekend.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #317
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFDoms2k1 View Post
Hey all, I've had the full RPI GT on for about 1000 miles, half of which I had the corresponding RPi ECU tune by Powerchip. Here are my thoughts and some answers to your questions (done very quickly so I apologize for any errors):

I ordered the exhaust in late April while RPi was still running a free delivery special. Thinking that since it was going to be free, it was going to be slow, I was very wrong. It only took like 3 business days, so the first impression I got was very solid. Opening the box, the construction of the piece was of very high quality. Very clean welds, great lines (its almost a shame this thing is hidden under the car!) good material and very lightweight. I had to wait a few days before I could get to a lift, for I needed all the help I could get as it was going to be a DIY and I am not the best with a wrench (I figured though bolt-ons are suppose to be easy). And relatively easy it was, but even with the lift it did take me about 3.5 hours with a little help (help is definitely needed to bring down the muffler section and even the front pipes, both are heavy!). If I had to do the switch again after doing it once, it probably wouldn’t take me more than 45 minutes to do the front/mid pipes and another half hour to do the full exhaust.

When I first fired it up I was a little concerned, for I was hearing that metallic gurgling sound that I had heard about on this thread, although I hadn't noticed it in any of the videos. The first day it was very bad, there was a lot of drone, and I was having a lot of problems with what almost felt like turbo lag - and I could actually hear it too, as it almost sounded as if nothing was coming out of the exhaust at those times. I didn’t know whether I had somehow screwed up the install or what, especially since the OP had such great results immediately. I checked it again and everything seemed right, so I could only attribute it to the exhaust being brand new for one, and on top of that the computer was probably confused as hell with the second O2 sensor’s readings. And just to answer the question and not jump ahead, my CEL light never went on for the 500 miles I was going tuneless.

Every time I drove it sounded better, the drone reduced, and the "lag" feeling became less frequent and less severe, but it did take about 200 miles before I actually noticed better throttle response and power increase on the butt dyno. I still wasn't thrilled about it though, and expressed my concerns to Eloy (a great engineer and solid dude by the way). In fact I probably took out some frustration I had with the exhaust on him unfairly, but even so he would always get back to me right away. He told me the S65 engine was very raspy by nature, and the since the GT Race was so free flowing it just carried the engine’s sound through more purely. For the rasp he recommended DEI wraps and new gaskets.

The big change came when I finally got it tuned. It really made a huge difference immediately. No issues with any lag or momentary power losses, the drone which was only occurring under load from 1500-2000 RPM was greatly reduced and now extremely tolerable (girls would finally ride in the car again without negative comment) and the full power increase was finally felt, and the extra hp came extremely smoothly. I also noticed the volume of the exhaust inside the car had greatly decreased (it wasn't giving me a headache anymore when I drove with the top down) while at the same time for those on the outside of the car, particularly behind me, it got even louder. Extremely loud but not in an obnoxious way, was how more than one person described it. In fact I've been at two rallys now where people have stopped their showing off to just get in behind me to listen for a few minutes. I can't tell you how many times people have then come up to me to compliment my sound and ask me what kind of exhaust I was running. And it hasn’t just been other M3s owners - I had the privilege of being the least exotic car at an exotics car show (I was involved in the charity which was benefiting so they made an exemption). There were 6 LP640s, 6 F430s, 3 Superleggaras and 3 regular Gallardos, a GCT, that crazy SSC Ultimate Aero TT, McClaren SLR, you name it. Anyway at one point I had a Murcielago pull behind me for a bit, and then when we stopped the driver found me and gave me props (granted his DD was an M5, so he was probably the only Italian car owner who had an appreciation and interest for an M exhaust).

So with the first thousand under my belt I must say that I am very happy with my exhaust. I will admit its not perfect, as at least for me the rasp is not to my taste, but many of the other GT Race owners will tell you that it suits them just fine. As such I know Eloy and team are developing some new front pipes with small, low restriction resonators on them and I will likely be getting those as soon as they are available. If anyone has any further or more specific questions, there are a whole host of us that can answer them for you, so don’t hesitate to PM me.

So basically before its tuned the sounds not as good. Is the drone sound very loud??

Please update if you do get any CEL coming on. Did you use a RPI tune?? or another brand??
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #318
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I heard this exhaust and saw it dyno'd in person at RPI's shop and it sounded freakin AMAZING, and with legit power gains on a dyno dynamics!! Great job RPI!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #319
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

What are they meaning with the DEI (?) wrap and gaskets to get the raspiness down?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #320
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

Yeah I don't know how wrap on the outside of the pipe or new gaskets will fix rasp. If new gaskets are needed they should have been included.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #321
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Yeah I don't know how wrap on the outside of the pipe or new gaskets will fix rasp. If new gaskets are needed they should have been included.
We need the vendor or Eloy to get on here and laid all this to rest.

I really want an exhaust but the way it's looking I might go Gintani.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #322
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Gosh.. even more ringing..

In that video too.. its hard to hear but there is ringing as well.

This is a disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #323
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

Am I the only one who doesn't buy an exhaust based on sound? I buy for horsepower and then price.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #324
NFDoms2k1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
So basically before its tuned the sounds not as good. Is the drone sound very loud??

Please update if you do get any CEL coming on. Did you use a RPI tune?? or another brand??
Quote:
As you see from the thread some people have a lot of rasp right off the bat, while others who get the system don't. New gaskets aren't necessary, which is why they are not included in the kit - its left up to your discretion if you need them or not (and they are not expensive and available at most BMW service centers). DEI wraps aren't necessary either, its up to your discretion as well, and they help keep heat in the exhaust and buffer the vibrational noise going through the front pipes.
      06-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #325
NFDoms2k1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

DEI Wraps:
http://www.dudiakracingproducts.com/...5889_5890_5892

There is also some silicone spray on the same website which helps as well.
      06-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #326
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFDoms2k1 View Post
As you see from the thread some people have a lot of rasp right off the bat, while others who get the system don't. New gaskets aren't necessary, which is why they are not included in the kit - its left up to your discretion if you need them or not (and they are not expensive and available at most BMW service centers). DEI wraps aren't necessary either, its up to your discretion as well, and they help keep heat in the exhaust and buffer the vibrational noise going through the front pipes.
Thanks!! I'll make sure to look into the gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #327
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't buy an exhaust based on sound? I buy for horsepower and then price.
You're not alone!

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #328
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Ditto, I think RPI sounds good too.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #329
kei1225
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

With just the axle back, is it more quiet than the full exhaust?
If so, is it louder than the eisenmann race?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #330
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kei1225 View Post
With just the axle back, is it more quiet than the full exhaust?
If so, is it louder than the eisenmann race?
An axle back alone will be quieter than the same axle back w/ xpipe.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0