BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #309
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Question for the vendor - I am about done with my second set of rear stock rotors/pads at 105,000 miles and looking to lose some weight and gain some performance on an almost-purely-street E90 that is already equipped with Stoptech STR40 front kit. Thoughts on pairing with the Essex 340mm CP5060 rear kit? I would probably swap pads up front to match the rear and do DS2500's or something similar all around to keep from mismatching pads. I would go STR40 rear as well, but I think the 355x32 rotor is the definition of overkill back there and I don't want the extra weight.
We would have to run some numbers on the StopTech front kit and see how the brake balance will play out if our rear kit was added. Can you please provide me with the front piston bores in your StopTech kit? I'm assuming you're running they're 355mm front disc? We would run the numbers and tell you how the balance would play out for you.

We agree that the 355mm rear is unnecessarily large and heavy. I don't know of anyone who has ever overheated our rear 340mm kit or had problems burning through spares at a rapid pace.

You can feel free to email me the data on the ST setup when you have it, and we'll see what we come up with. Thanks!

Quote:
(nor will I be buying a front kit, in case your salesman's impulses can't help themselves )
ps You really need to buy one of our front kits. You will be the envy of your friends at the track, and droves of women will fling themselves at you everywhere you go. You will likely begin to exert more power and influence at the office, and you'll certainly feel more energized and invigorated when you wake in the morning. Daily tasks that used to be challenging will suddenly feel effortless. Upon installation, you will suddenly feel a deep sense of peace and calm, as if what has always been missing from your life has suddenly been found and claimed. Most importantly, you will crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamenting of their women. If you're not interested in any those things, then our front brake kit definitely isn't for you.
Sorry...couldn't resist.
Appreciate 4
inTgr8r2421.50
roastbeef11571.50
Hujan566.50
      03-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #310
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

The front kit for these cars uses one of their wannabe-NASCAR 35mm thick 355 rotors. It's amazing how heavy it is. It's also amazing how little it's worn, maybe 3-4 tenths of a millimeter in 45000 miles.

Will have to pop a pad out and measure, I don't think I have my documentation from when they went on the car anymore.

No sale
      03-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #311
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
You really need to buy one of our front kits. You will be the envy of your friends at the track, and droves of women will fling themselves at you everywhere you go. You will likely begin to exert more power and influence at the office, and you'll certainly feel more energized and invigorated when you wake in the morning. Daily tasks that used to be challenging will suddenly feel effortless. Upon installation, you will suddenly feel a deep sense of peace and calm, as if what has always been missing from your life has suddenly been found and claimed. Most importantly, you will crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamenting of their women. If you're not interested in any those things, then our front brake kit definitely isn't for you.
Sorry...couldn't resist.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Results may vary. Consult your physician before beginning an Essex brakes regimen. Not valid in all 50 states. Void where prohibited.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #312
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hello Gents,

We have just formed the "Essex Designed AP Racing Brake Kit Owners Club" on Facebook.

The group will be a digital extension of what we've seen among our customers out at the track, which is like-minded car nuts parking next to each other and sharing stories, ideas, photos, setup tips, pad advice, discussing future track events, etc. Not only will group members be able to interact with other Essex brake kit owners, Essex will be offering a number of exclusive perks and opportunities that will only be available to group members. How do giveaways, discounts on spares, contests, and even unique schwag sound?

The only prerequisite to join this group is that you need to own an Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Brake Kit. To keep things fair for other members, we will ask you a couple of questions to verify kit ownership prior to approval.

If you have one of our brake kits, click this link to join our group: Meet Other Essex Brake Kit Owners Now

Thank you all very much for your continued support!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #313
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm in the cool kids club.
      12-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #314
Milas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I'm in the cool kids club.
Still saving up for it —> the day will come and I'm in the club
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11571.50
ebisu81070.50
      12-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #315
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Jeff and the Essex Team offer the best product and support in the industry. Glad to run them on the M3 and future track cars!!
      12-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #316
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Lol...thanks cool kids and aspiring cool kids. We always appreciate your support!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #317
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Can you send me a price, shipped, for front and rear to 92024! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #318
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Can you send me a price, shipped, for front and rear to 92024! Thank you!
pm sent!
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00
      01-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #319
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

PM for front kit to 94118.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #320
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Gents,
A quick note. We still have some of our CP5040/340mm rear kits available. We are moving them out to make room for our Pro5000R Radi-CAL inventory. If you are interested in this kit we can build you one for you at a hefty discount. Email me for details. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #321
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Attention Essex Designed Brake Kit Owners...Who wants some FREE AP Racing brake discs to start their 2019?!?!

Below is a brief survey about our brake kit. The survey is just a guideline, and you can write anything that you feel is relevant. For your entry to be valid you must include at least one good picture of our brake kit on your car. We encourage you to send a few. They can be action shots, paddock, etc., and we love those glowing disc pics! Please email your survey along with pic(s) to owners@essexparts.com.

We'll be sharing these reviews and pics on our blog, social media, etc. We will draw one lucky winner who will receive a pair of free replacement iron J Hook disc rings and attachment hardware. Thanks so much for participating, and good luck to all of you! Here are the survey questions:

Your experience level & driving history

How has the brake kit changed your driving experience?

Problems that the brake kit solved (e.g.- pad fade, disc
cracking, soft pedal, etc.)

Favorite product feature

Comparison to other products you’ve tried in the past

Overall ownership experience...how easy it to live with?

Customer service by Essex before and after initial sale

Documentation and ease of install

Would you buy it again, and would you recommend it to a friend?

Anything about the product that you think could be improved?

Race or event wins on our brake kit
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      05-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #322
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Long term update on the Endurance BBK:

55,000 miles and 20 track days later, I finally had to swap the rotors in my Essex BBK. While there were only very tiny heat cracks on the rotors, pretty sizable pad grooves had made a ridge in the rotor, making some parts of it pretty thin, so I decided to swap rotors in abundance of caution (realistically could have had probably 2 more track days on the rotors). I was one of the original purchasers of the V1 Essex/AP Racing Endurance BBK and have been super satisfied with it over the past 5 years. I’ve talked a lot before about the stopping power, which is amazing but these brakes are also very durable. A few of the key things that I’ve noticed about the kit that have been awesome in owning this kit:

No need for piston dust boots: Notice that people say you should have the rubber dust boots at the pistons for street use. After 55k miles, numerous fluid flushes and track use, and the street use involved canyon driving in wooded and coastal areas with lots of dust, sand, tree leaves/debris, puddles, etc and nothing ever got stuck in a piston. Dust boots will melt on the track and the pistons already have silicon seals from the inside so nothing will get stuck in the piston. Worrying about the kit not having boots on the street is a non-factor.

Extremely Durable: Twice at the track, I under estimated how much pad wear I actually had after few sessions and had metal to metal contact where I had to do a pad swap. In spite of my mistake, the rotors were actually fine (was caught early but still..was was a little surprised that the rotor was pristine)!

Run much cooler: My friends and all track E9x and F8x M3s. A few times at the track, I brought in an IR surface temperature gun and we compared temperatures among my car with the Essex endurance kit, my friends E92 with stock rotors and Pagid pads and my friend’s F80 with stock rotors and Pagid Pads. Coming off the track, my rotor surface temperatures were about 40% lower than the other two setups (about 350-400 degrees vs 580-700 degrees). That is crazy!

Brake noise: The brakes make a little more noise than stock (pads rattling, making groaning sound when you first back up especially after the rotors have been wet in the rain), but honestly after having experienced cars with stock BBKs right out of the box (brakes on GT350R or 911GT3 RS) this kit is no noisier than these stock brake kits. The rear pads now come with clips and inserting these clips really cuts down the pad rattle.

Super satisfied with the kit and given my car now has 100k miles, will probably be the last set of fronts that I’ll need as won’t be tracking the car as much as my last set and plan to drive this car for another 50k-60k miles. I recently got a 911 GT3RS and plan to replace the PCCB with the Essex/AP racing rotors while keeping the stock Brembo calipers. Also, I used to have a GT350R and the race versions of the car the FP350S and Shelby Mustang GT4, cars that consistently some of the fastest in their race series, both carry Essex-designed AP racing rotor kits. While the stock brakes of the 350R were fantastic (I told Essex they should make a rotor only solution while keeping the stock caliper), they did run extremely hot and I think just used size as a way to dissipate heat.

Awesome job, Essex/AP Racing. Thx for 55,000 blissful miles
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #323
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post

55,000 miles and 20 track days later, I finally had to swap the rotors in my Essex BBK. While there were only very tiny heat cracks on the rotors, pretty sizable pad grooves had made a ridge in the rotor, making some parts of it pretty thin, so I decided to swap rotors in abundance of caution (realistically could have had probably 2 more track days on the rotors). I was one of the original purchasers of the V1 Essex/AP Racing Endurance BBK and have been super satisfied with it over the past 5 years. I’ve talked a lot before about the stopping power, which is amazing but these brakes are also very durable. A few of the key things that I’ve noticed about the kit that have been awesome in owning this kit:

No need for piston dust boots: Notice that people say you should have the rubber dust boots at the pistons for street use. After 55k miles, numerous fluid flushes and track use, and the street use involved canyon driving in wooded and coastal areas with lots of dust, sand, tree leaves/debris, puddles, etc and nothing ever got stuck in a piston. Dust boots will melt on the track and the pistons already have silicon seals from the inside so nothing will get stuck in the piston. Worrying about the kit not having boots on the street is a non-factor.

Extremely Durable: Twice at the track, I under estimated how much pad wear I actually had after few sessions and had metal to metal contact where I had to do a pad swap. In spite of my mistake, the rotors were actually fine (was caught early but still..was was a little surprised that the rotor was pristine)!

Run much cooler: My friends and all track E9x and F8x M3s. A few times at the track, I brought in an IR surface temperature gun and we compared temperatures among my car with the Essex endurance kit, my friends E92 with stock rotors and Pagid pads and my friend’s F80 with stock rotors and Pagid Pads. Coming off the track, my rotor surface temperatures were about 40% lower than the other two setups (about 350-400 degrees vs 580-700 degrees). That is crazy!

Brake noise: The brakes make a little more noise than stock (pads rattling, making groaning sound when you first back up especially after the rotors have been wet in the rain), but honestly after having experienced cars with stock BBKs right out of the box (brakes on GT350R or 911GT3 RS) this kit is no noisier than these stock brake kits. The rear pads now come with clips and inserting these clips really cuts down the pad rattle.

Super satisfied with the kit and given my car now has 100k miles, will probably be the last set of fronts that I’ll need as won’t be tracking the car as much as my last set and plan to drive this car for another 50k-60k miles. I recently got a 911 GT3RS and plan to replace the PCCB with the Essex/AP racing rotors while keeping the stock Brembo calipers. Also, I used to have a GT350R and the race versions of the car the FP350S and Shelby Mustang GT4, cars that consistently some of the fastest in their race series, both carry Essex-designed AP racing rotor kits. While the stock brakes of the 350R were fantastic (I told Essex they should make a rotor only solution while keeping the stock caliper), they did run extremely hot and I think just used size as a way to dissipate heat.

How about heavy salt exposure? My PFC Z54 and Z45 kit from Bimmerworld have experienced significant corrosion due to salt exposure.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #324
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post

How about heavy salt exposure? My PFC Z54 and Z45 kit from Bimmerworld have experienced significant corrosion due to salt exposure.
I live in a coastal climate and have seen only a little rusting on the bolt heads but the rest of the bolt and caliper are fine so haven't changed anything out. I daily drive and park indoors so rotors are always looking great. It's pretty easy to order new bolts from Essex if becomes an issue.
Appreciate 1
Milas29.50
      05-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #325
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I would expect to see some corrosion of any kit due to salt exposure. The hardware, maybe even the anodization itself will react to salt and chemicals. In addition the stainless pistons are resistant to corrosion but eventually some will form. I'm sure Essex will be able to speak more intelligently on the topic.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #326
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hello Folks,

Essex Parts Services has been a loyal supporter of this forum for quite some time, so we'd like to offer this great opportunity to forum members! Please let us know if the description below sounds like you or a friend of yours.

Essex Parts Services is seeking an experienced digital marketing expert, who also happens to be a rabid automotive enthusiast. Your goal at Essex will be to develop and implement the company’s digital strategy to achieve sales, profitability, and website traffic objectives. To be successful in this role you will need to be an outstanding communicator via all mediums, possess in-depth knowledge of a wide range of the latest digital marketing tools, be extremely creative, and have intimate familiarity with a hardcore auto enthusiast’s mindset.

Core responsibilities include but are not limited to:

· Digital Marketing Strategy Development: Analyze customer behavior and motivations and leverage those insights to develop the company’s overall digital marketing strategy. Define success metrics, determine optimal media mix, and create and maintain a robust marketing calendar across all channels.
· Creative: Create photos, videos, emails, social media posts, articles, graphics, and banners to properly convey our brand image and intended message to potential customers.
· Execution: Build, develop, and implement the current and emerging digital platforms necessary to reach potential customers, while creating deliverables that resonate with our target audience.
· Measurement: Monitor campaign performance, report findings, and perpetually adjust plans to maximize reach. Thoroughly leverage data to drive future initiatives.
· SEO: Perpetually refine our website, social media properties, and all other digital presentations with the objective of increasing awareness and keeping Essex at the top of relevant search rankings.

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities

· At least several years of digital marketing experience
· Proven ability to manage complex projects
· Demonstrated proficiency with SEO and Analytics
· Expertise at crafting impactful emails
· eCommerce and web administration experience

· Deep knowledge of social media platforms, and the ability to skillfully interact with customers on them
· Photography, photo editing, video editing

Are You A Good Fit?

In a time when corporate loyalty is nearly a thing of the past, the Essex team remains a tight-knit unit working towards a unified goal. Many of our staff members have been with us for over a decade, and our company has a familial feel. We are looking for someone who shares our values and wants to find a long-term home in their daily work life. Our business has grown steadily for years and will continue to do so based on a wide range of initiatives we are currently developing. Whomever fills this role will have the opportunity to grow with us, but they will need to wear many hats. Our culture is not one of hand-holding and micromanagement. To succeed in this role, you will need to think and act independently, and you will need to perpetually produce results. The more versatile, motivated, and capable you are, the more opportunity you will have to achieve your professional goals during your tenure with us. Finally, if you aren’t a real ‘car person’ to the core, please don’t waste your time and ours by trying to fake it. You won’t have much fun here, and we will know within two minutes of meeting you. If you think 2JZ is a rapper, this isn’t the job for you!

Please send a cover letter and resume to support at essexparts.com

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #327
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Gents,
A quick note. We still have some of our CP5040/340mm rear kits available. We are moving them out to make room for our Pro5000R Radi-CAL inventory. If you are interested in this kit we can build you one for you at a hefty discount. Email me for details. Thanks!
Jeff:
Could you expound on the rationale for discontinuing this kit?

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:12 AM   #328
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Jeff:
Could you expound on the rationale for discontinuing this kit?
Sure thing. The CP5040 was part of AP's Pro5000 line of conventional calipers. AP has moved away from the conventional caliper designs for the most part, and they've discontinued the CP5040 caliper around which this brake kit was based. The Pro5000 line has been replaced with the Pro5000R line, which leverage the Radi-CAL design. We no longer have access to the CP5040 caliper, so we can no longer produce the kit. There wasn't a whole lot more behind the move than that.

Our replacement kit for the CP5040/340mm kit is even more awesome:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...49-34028-e90m3

It uses the same disc and same piston sizes, except it's mated to a Radi-CAL rather than a conventional caliper. That means it's lighter, stiffer, flows more air, etc. There is no downside to the new kit vs. the old kit, except that it is slightly more expensive. The CP9449 kit can be mated to any of our front kits, conventional or Radi-CAL, so there's no worry about compatibility. In other words, if you had our old CP5060/355mm kit on the front of your car, you can add the CP9449 Radi-CAL rear kit without any negative impact on brake bias, etc.

Please let me know what other questions you have. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #329
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:

Please let me know what other questions you have. Thanks!
Thank you for your response, Jeff.

To confirm, those of us with the CP5060/40 kits that need replacement parts would need to purchase from the 966X/9449 bin?

How has this inventory change affected the "lifetime rebuilding" that was included w/ our purchase of the 5060/40 kit?

The major attraction to the original kit for a lot of us were its huge weight savings over stock & competitors, not to mention the bare-bones, no-bling, all-business, anodized caliper finish...I imagine there's a trade-off in weight-savings between the good 'ol Pro 5000 and the fancy "R"? You mentioned it's lighter, but how does that reconcile against the advertised 18lbs of unsprung weight saved over stock on the 5060 vs the 12lb savings listed on the 9668? Seems like they got heavier, no?

Your insight is much-appreciated.
Kind Regards,
OC

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB

Last edited by OC ///M; 12-19-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #330
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Thank you for your response, Jeff.

To confirm, those of us with the CP5060/40 kits that need replacement parts, would need to purchase from the 966X/9449 bin?

How has this inventory change affected the "lifetime rebuilding" that was included w/ our purchase of the 5060/40 kit?

The major attraction to the original kit for a lot of us were its huge weight savings over stock & competitors, not to mention the bare-bones, no-bling, all-business, anodized caliper finish...I imagine there's a trade-off in weight-savings between the good 'ol Pro 5000 and the fancy "R"? You mentioned it's lighter, but how does that reconcile against the advertised 18lbs of unsprung weight saved over stock on the 5060 vs the 12lb savings listed on the 9668?

Your insight is much-appreciated.
Kind Regards,
OC

Hi OC,
No worries at all, and thanks for your continued support! The Pro5000R calipers use many of the same components as the prior Pro5000 line. For example, the pistons in the CP9660 are identical to those in the CP5060, and the ones in the CP9449 are identical to those in the CP5040. As are the AKB springs, piston seals, bleed screws, etc. They're just stuffed in a sexier body! I therefore don't foresee any issues with servicing down the road. We (Essex) are AP's only caliper recertification center outside of their home base in England. Essex has been in business since 1983, and we have no plans of going anywhere. Most of our staff has been here for at least a dozen years (like myself). Our aftermarket program has been growing at a staggering rate, and we fully intend to continue our support in the same manner that we've been, which is bending over backwards to make sure our customers have the best possible experience with our brake kits. That means for the life of the product. Many of our customers are now on their second or third Essex/AP Racing brake kit as they change to new cars, which is pretty cool.

As for the parts themselves, the Pro5000R calipers are only slightly lighter than the older Pro5000 calipers. The differences are under a pound in all cases I believe. On your specific example, the CP5060 caliper was mated to a 355x32mm front disc (the first system we launched for the e90 chassis had a smaller disc). Our subsequent Pro5000R Radi-CAL kits moved to a larger diameter and thicker 372x34mm front disc (because that's what people requested). The 372mm disc weighs about 3-4 lbs. more than the 355mm disc (depending on the specific hat). That's where the quoted 6 pounds of weight difference lies.

Even with the larger 372mm discs, our kit is lighter than all the other kits out there, and much lighter than stock. Now it just has a bit more durability baked in. They'll run a little cooler than the 355mm, and need less frequent replacements. We also made sure that the 372mm front kits still fit inside all the popular 18" track wheels, and the CP9668 caliper option also allows for a full inch thick pad (which is again something people requested).

You can see the details on the two Pro5000R front caliper options in this article I wrote:

Sibling Rivalry: Which AP Racing Radi-CAL is Right for Me, the CP9660 or CP9668?

Let us know what other Q's you have...happy to help!
Appreciate 0