BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi SQ5

Dinan DCT Software Issues (Install)

I saw the Dinan 50% off software sale and immediately jumped on it for my 2013 M3. Went to the dealer, got an excellent price and they started the work.

At first there was some sort of issue with the username, which wasn't their fault. Once we finally got it sorted out, they hooked up the cable and went to load the DCT software and it got stuck at 0%. Tried again and same result.

Switched computers and then it said "DME is locked, contact Dinan support". Switched back computers and it was stuck at 0%. At this point I had to leave, so they unplugged everything and started the car. Dinan says absolutely nothing had been writing to the ECU or else if it were partially installed the car would not drive.

A transmission malfunction appeared on the iDrive...I forgot what it said but something about being in PARK. Restarted the car and it drove perfectly fine on the way home.

Once I got home, I pulled the codes and got:
CDB8 - Message (speed demand DKG, B8)
CD9D - Message (gear data, BA)
CDB4 - Message (transmission data 3, 3B1)
CD9E - Message (gear data 2, 1A2)
CDB0 - Message (display gear data)

I am hoping maybe SSP can chime in here and maybe explain what is going on, if anything. The car is running fine, but I have been told by the dealer they've been in contact with Dinan all day and they're saying for some reason they can't upload the tune and they think something else is maybe going on. Up until this point, I have not had any transmission related codes on the car, I checked a few months ago and there was nothing.

Could it just be throwing random codes because of the attempted flash? Ideas or things to keep an eye on? Car is my daily driver.

Car has 32k miles on it for reference.
13 Mineral White E92 M3 (Sold)
11 Melbourne Red E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFM3 View Post
I saw the Dinan 50% off software sale and immediately jumped on it for my 2013 M3. Went to the dealer, got an excellent price and they started the work.

At first there was some sort of issue with the username, which wasn't their fault. Once we finally got it sorted out, they hooked up the cable and went to load the DCT software and it got stuck at 0%. Tried again and same result.

Switched computers and then it said "DME is locked, contact Dinan support". Switched back computers and it was stuck at 0%. At this point I had to leave, so they unplugged everything and started the car. Dinan says absolutely nothing had been writing to the ECU or else if it were partially installed the car would not drive.

A transmission malfunction appeared on the iDrive...I forgot what it said but something about being in PARK. Restarted the car and it drove perfectly fine on the way home.

I am hoping maybe SSP can chime in here and maybe explain what is going on, if anything. The car is running fine, but I have been told by the dealer they've been in contact with Dinan all day and they're saying for some reason they can't upload the tune and they think something else is maybe going on. Up until this point, I have not had any transmission related codes on the car, I checked a few months ago and there was nothing.

Could it just be throwing random codes because of the attempted flash? Ideas or things to keep an eye on? Car is my daily driver.

Something's up with the flash or there is a communication issue/interruption on the bus.

You can have faults even if a flash wasn't performed. I've never run into one that we were not able to flash and that includes thousands of cars worldwide.

Clear the codes and make sure they don't return.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 2
BAMFM366.50
JYTsky92.00
      02-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Something's up with the flash or there is a communication issue/interruption on the bus.

You can have faults even if a flash wasn't performed. I've never run into one that we were not able to flash and that includes thousands of cars worldwide.

Clear the codes and make sure they don't return.
Thanks Mike!

Is this something I should be super concerned about? Could the flash/attempted flash have caused the codes?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

are you the original owner? i'm wondering if the car had been tuned before and if the previous tuner locked your dme. not says this is the same case, but a buddy of mine had a tuner flash his car and that tuner locked out his dme essentially unallowing him to reflash his car with any other tuners file... once he figured that out, said tuner wanted $$ to unlock his dme that they locked!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

I'm also curious if they upgraded the DME to the latest version first (241e?). I can only assume Dinan's flash is for the latest.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #6
Kash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 DCT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
are you the original owner? i'm wondering if the car had been tuned before and if the previous tuner locked your dme. not says this is the same case, but a buddy of mine had a tuner flash his car and that tuner locked out his dme essentially unallowing him to reflash his car with any other tuners file... once he figured that out, said tuner wanted $$ to unlock his dme that they locked!!
That's some serious ransomware
      02-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:

To me, those codes are due to the dealer never clearing after it attempted to over write the ECU file. Clear the codes and see if they return. If the car is driving and shifting then you should not have them return.

There is a specific programming cable for the Dinan "E" chassis cars.
It is the BLUE D-CAN connector with a specific cable for USB.
There is an updated Dinan programing file that has recently been released as well. Not the actual performance tune but a programming file on the dealer end.
This more then likely is your issue and it needs to be checked and tried again.

I have watched a few E9X cars get programmed at my local Dinan shop recently so I was trying to get some first hand answer's for you.
My independent dealer said you can reach out to them for questions if you have any. They have been with Dinan for 10+ years
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #8
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_science View Post
I'm also curious if they upgraded the DME to the latest version first (241e?). I can only assume Dinan's flash is for the latest.
Every M3 flash I've seen from them is on 231E.

If the car goes in with 240E+ it will be downgraded to 231E, unless something has changed in the last couple months.

BAMFM3: I would clear the faults - if they don't return, nothing to worry about.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
are there not two seperate ecus?

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
are there not two seperate ecus?
Yes they are both separate ECU's
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #11
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
Yes they are both separate ECU's
so what does the sw of the main ecu have to do with the dct sw? i'm confused.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #12
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
so what does the sw of the main ecu have to do with the dct sw? i'm confused.
I believe there is a confusion when BPM tuning referenced another topic regarding the ECU and not the DCT module.
They are both separate computers and there is a separate programming file used when programming this platform.
Just a miscommunication on the replies above
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I believe there is a confusion when BPM tuning referenced another topic regarding the ECU and not the DCT module.
They are both separate computers and there is a separate programming file used when programming this platform.
Just a miscommunication on the replies above
that is what i thought as well. i'm getting old.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
that is what i thought as well. i'm getting old.
My eyes deceive me at times also lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To me, those codes are due to the dealer never clearing after it attempted to over write the ECU file. Clear the codes and see if they return. If the car is driving and shifting then you should not have them return.

There is a specific programming cable for the Dinan "E" chassis cars.
It is the BLUE D-CAN connector with a specific cable for USB.
There is an updated Dinan programing file that has recently been released as well. Not the actual performance tune but a programming file on the dealer end.
This more then likely is your issue and it needs to be checked and tried again.

I have watched a few E9X cars get programmed at my local Dinan shop recently so I was trying to get some first hand answer's for you.
My independent dealer said you can reach out to them for questions if you have any. They have been with Dinan for 10+ years
Yep they had the blue connector there. I just ended up contacting ESS since I have their engine tune and cable, and they hooked me up with a great deal on their DCT tune and as always were really good to me. So thank you ESS for the assistance.

I was also told that the engine/DCT computers are different and I read a thread somewhere that all M3s, 2011 and later, were factory locked by BMW and also locked after 2011 if you went to the dealer. Not sure if this is true or not, but it seems that tuners have figured a way around that, clearly. Again, could definitely be wrong here, that's just what the interwebs told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Every M3 flash I've seen from them is on 231E.

If the car goes in with 240E+ it will be downgraded to 231E, unless something has changed in the last couple months.

BAMFM3: I would clear the faults - if they don't return, nothing to worry about.
I will clear the codes and just check every once in a while to see if they return. Thank you for the peace of mind!

I was updated to the most current file by ESS before I loaded their tune, as well. I spoke to another dealer, locally to me, who said the way that Dinan tunes are loaded into the E9X M platform is old and outdated...apparently it's loaded over the internet and the file isn't stored locally on the computer like a lot of the flashes you can get here using your own cable. I would imagine just another way to make sure the dealer makes some additional money on the install fees (though my dealer said they would waive it).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yep they had the blue connector there. I just ended up contacting ESS since I have their engine tune and cable, and they hooked me up with a great deal on their DCT tune and as always were really good to me. So thank you ESS for the assistance.

I was also told that the engine/DCT computers are different and I read a thread somewhere that all M3s, 2011 and later, were factory locked by BMW and also locked after 2011 if you went to the dealer. Not sure if this is true or not, but it seems that tuners have figured a way around that, clearly. Again, could definitely be wrong here, that's just what the interwebs told me.

I was updated to the most current file by ESS before I loaded their tune, as well. I spoke to another dealer, locally to me, who said the way that Dinan tunes are loaded into the E9X M platform is old and outdated...apparently it's loaded over the internet and the file isn't stored locally on the computer like a lot of the flashes you can get here using your own cable. I would imagine just another way to make sure the dealer makes some additional money on the install fees (though my dealer said they would waive it).

Nice ! The ESS tune is great as well.
I would like to try the Active Autowerke tune as it claims more performance. But i have not met anyone with an Active ECU flash.
That is true, the Dinan dealers log onto Dinan's web-server or something like that to extract the information.
ESS does something similar where you still have to be connected online and the computer will read the OEM file, send to ESS and then they send you the modified file and the program then downloads the file you receive.

To me, it all seems pretty similar aside from you having the actual file on your computer and you can then basically program it yourself once you have the cable from ESS or Active Autowerke
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #17
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice ! The ESS tune is great as well.
I would like to try the Active Autowerke tune as it claims more performance. But i have not met anyone with an Active ECU flash.
That is true, the Dinan dealers log onto Dinan's web-server or something like that to extract the information.
ESS does something similar where you still have to be connected online and the computer will read the OEM file, send to ESS and then they send you the modified file and the program then downloads the file you receive.

To me, it all seems pretty similar aside from you having the actual file on your computer and you can then basically program it yourself once you have the cable from ESS or Active Autowerke
The way Dinan does their tunes just seems archaic to me. But then again I know nothing about tuning BMWs. I used to own an Evo and using ECUFlash was so easy (the uploading part).

When I did my ESS engine tune, I was having issues reading my ECU to get the file to send to them. So I gave them my VIN, they sent me a new original file with the most recent update and also their tune. I loaded the first one, then loaded the second one and I was all set. Whole process took me ten minutes which was really awesome. Plus their customer support is amazing, I email them sometimes at really odd hours due to work, sometimes 1am, and they even reply back sometimes then and on the weekends. The customer service alone has bought my business from them.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The way Dinan does their tunes just seems archaic to me. But then again I know nothing about tuning BMWs. I used to own an Evo and using ECUFlash was so easy (the uploading part).

When I did my ESS engine tune, I was having issues reading my ECU to get the file to send to them. So I gave them my VIN, they sent me a new original file with the most recent update and also their tune. I loaded the first one, then loaded the second one and I was all set. Whole process took me ten minutes which was really awesome. Plus their customer support is amazing, I email them sometimes at really odd hours due to work, sometimes 1am, and they even reply back sometimes then and on the weekends. The customer service alone has bought my business from them.
Nice ! That is good to know about your experience with ESS
I would assume you are emailing Asborn (I'm sure I spelled his name wrong) he is the tuner that is in Norway.
I have heard good things about him.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #19
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:

There is a lot of good information in this thread. The randomness of the codes would suggest that the upload attempt was interrupted. I would recommend clearing the codes. If they come back and then the new issues can be addressed. Another good point is if you are not the first owner of the vehicle, check the DME to see if there is already a tune on the car.

That is my suggestion, to which other professionals on here have already addressed.

SSP
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice ! That is good to know about your experience with ESS
I would assume you are emailing Asborn (I'm sure I spelled his name wrong) he is the tuner that is in Norway.
I have heard good things about him.
Yep that's him; Asbjorn. Had two separate experiences with him about 1.5 years apart and both were really great. IMO customer service wins it for me since most of the tunes seem to net similair gains. I've also heard great things about BPM/Evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
There is a lot of good information in this thread. The randomness of the codes would suggest that the upload attempt was interrupted. I would recommend clearing the codes. If they come back and then the new issues can be addressed. Another good point is if you are not the first owner of the vehicle, check the DME to see if there is already a tune on the car.

That is my suggestion, to which other professionals on here have already addressed.

SSP
I cleared them and so far they haven't returned.

The car was defintely tuned by someone, I contacted a few tuners (ESS, BPM, Turner) and they had no record of it. Cold start had been eliminated and cold start RPM was 4.5k vs the normal ~6k.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, that's why these forums are so great.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #21
merakulous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Dinan DCT failed me too

I brought my 2012 M3 Coupe to the BMW dealer last Friday for the Dinan 50% off the ECU and DCT tunes. I really only cared about the DCT but figured while it's there let them also do the ECU. It's supposed to take .5 hours for each. After 3 hours in the waiting room they tell me they had communication problems and couldn't get the computer to talk to my car, but they've fixed that and are now uploading but it may take a while. So they gave me a loaner. I'm expecting to come back later that day for my car. However, they called late in the day to say they couldn't get the DCT tune to load. It would just get stuck at 0% and they eventually got a message my DME was locked and to call Dinan. They said they couldn't even start my car. Ugh. I immediately emailed a link to this thread to the SA.

Over the course of a frustrating week, it seemed my car was not a priority to the dealer or to Dinan. I'd call multiple times with no return calls. The SA kept saying "we've got multiple calls into Dinan and we're waiting on them to call us back." Finally, yesterday I told them if they couldn't get the DCT tune to load, just put it back to stock and forget it.

I've finally got my car back this morning, but only with the ECU tune installed, and $385 poorer. I would never have done just the ECU tune because it seems like most everyone says it's hardly noticeable. I really just wanted the DCT improvement. But apparently Dinan is still living in the dark ages with their software and upload procedures.

Anyway, now I guess I'll just go with someone else who can do the remote upload of the GTS DCT tune and maybe Euro MDM. Any suggestions on who can do it? I already have the K+DCAN cable.

Rant over. Now I feel better.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #22
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by merakulous View Post
I brought my 2012 M3 Coupe to the BMW dealer last Friday for the Dinan 50% off the ECU and DCT tunes. I really only cared about the DCT but figured while it's there let them also do the ECU. It's supposed to take .5 hours for each. After 3 hours in the waiting room they tell me they had communication problems and couldn't get the computer to talk to my car, but they've fixed that and are now uploading but it may take a while. So they gave me a loaner. I'm expecting to come back later that day for my car. However, they called late in the day to say they couldn't get the DCT tune to load. It would just get stuck at 0% and they eventually got a message my DME was locked and to call Dinan. They said they couldn't even start my car. Ugh. I immediately emailed a link to this thread to the SA.

Over the course of a frustrating week, it seemed my car was not a priority to the dealer or to Dinan. I'd call multiple times with no return calls. The SA kept saying "we've got multiple calls into Dinan and we're waiting on them to call us back." Finally, yesterday I told them if they couldn't get the DCT tune to load, just put it back to stock and forget it.

I've finally got my car back this morning, but only with the ECU tune installed, and $385 poorer. I would never have done just the ECU tune because it seems like most everyone says it's hardly noticeable. I really just wanted the DCT improvement. But apparently Dinan is still living in the dark ages with their software and upload procedures.

Anyway, now I guess I'll just go with someone else who can do the remote upload of the GTS DCT tune and maybe Euro MDM. Any suggestions on who can do it? I already have the K+DCAN cable.

Rant over. Now I feel better.
You probably want to look at this thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863945

The relevant point is that you want to get one of the tuners to do the GTS DCT update, not someone with INPA on their laptop, because you need someone who has modified the shift speed up to 100ms or 110ms from the 90ms shift of the BMW code which was written for a DCT with an oil cooler on it in the actual GTS model.

I contacted Alex@Alpine and he can use any functional coding cable for the transmission software and MDM coding. I will be using his services myself once I get my Dinan update issues worked out.
Appreciate 0