BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

10-30-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 e92 AW/FR DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Question Plastidip - good or bad idea ?

I've seen a lot of hate for plastidipped cars on different forums, what do you guys think ? Is it a nice cheap alternative if you want some variety in the color of your car, while at the same time protecting the original paint job.

Also some people say it looks matte and fake, but I've seen some videos where they apply a lot of clear topcoats that makes it look (at least on video) the same as normal paint - anyone have experience with that ?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

I've never used the clear so can't speak to that. I have used it on emblems on my Raptor and my daughter's Jeep and it has held up great, especially on wheels. Try it, if you don't like it, peel it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
stevelp99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've done the wheels of the last few cars I've owned all with great results as long as you take your time. Ive done small parts of body panels, like side skirts and lower bumpers and it did provide extra protection from small rocks and such. There are endless possibilities which is nice, and its easy to remove.
I posted pics of my GTR that I dipped to protect the lower trim from small rocks and debris. I also did the wheels to cover up some etching that the previous owner caused. It was all done with just rattle can plasti dip matte black. It holds up well, and easy to clean and maintain.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=plasti+dip

Here's also my old X5 I first started to expierment with Plasti did with. I did the wheels, front upper and lower grilles, and hood vents. All held up through 3 North East winters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:59 AM   #4
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
So I guess most people aren't doing full dips, just using it on certain parts to protect them, makes sense since it's easy to use the spray instead of the full system.

I was thinking more in the range of what these guys are doing here -

He does mention it's a very high end technique, but the results they are able to get look pretty much like OEM paint at least on video. It's a high gloss topcoat that I don't think the other competitors have, the audi at the end looks amazing in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
stevelp99
Private
United_States
Rep

There is a place here in Houston that does full dip jobs, and on all kinds of vehicles, all have looked amazing. There's a new topcoat coming out for plasti dip applications, I believe its called auto flex, that mimics a traditional clear coat. I've been toying around with the idea of doing a full dip job, just haven't decided on color/finish or if I want to do it myself or have pearls and pigments here in Houston do it. I love the idea that its easy to do and remove and change, and all of the small dip jobs I've done have turned out quite nice.

https://www.facebook.com/PearlsandPigments

Last edited by stevelp99; 10-31-2015 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 04:26 AM   #6
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah I saw that as well - I guess January 2016 we could get our hands on it. I hope you do your whole GT-R at some point and share the results, I'm sure it would look great in any weird non-standard color - hell even the pearl color changing one on the Porsche looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
stevelp99
Private
United_States
Rep

I sold the GTR early this year when the opportunity to own an E90 M3 came about, the GTR was great, and I used it as a daily driver, but after living with it for a while I found myself craving the refinement of German cars again (interior design and materials, build quality, all the drive line noises, plus I think the v8 sounds better than the twin turbo v6). I was looking to move from a 2 door to a 4 door. I'm still looking to try out a whole dip job on the M3, and will share the results if/when I do take on this project.
Appreciate 1