BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
E90Dave
Daily Dose of Reality
Rep
Drives: 2008 loaded DCT M3 MINT

E9X M3 ST XTA Coilover review

The E92 ranks amongst my favorite chassis of all time. The M3 was the pinnacle of Motorsport perfection, and still battles amongst the big players today.

The M3 is poised, balanced, and greatest of all - connected to the road like a gluey, gooey and sticky R compound tire on an F1 chassis.

This is my 4th E92 M3, and boy I couldn’t be happier. This ZCP coupe with 31,000 Miles is absolutely mint. Equipped with H and R race springs (which are now for sale XD) I quickly found the stock suspensions shortfalls; the soft and supple rude. That dreaded floaty feeling which makes the most unflappable chassis feel - less planted and confidence inspiring. I knew I needed some better damping and a stiffer spring rate.

Little bit of background as a break here - I’ve had the top of the top suspensions before on my 2+ dozen performance vehicles. Moton Clubsport, Ohlins TTX, JRi, Tein Super Racing Circuit, AST, etc. I know what a good damper should feel like. Well, maybe. Lol

I was skimming the forums inquiring about different suspensions and doing my research and came across a very interesting combo - the ST XTA. Seeing as these twin tube dampers are crafted in Germany alongside KW (sister company), I think it’s safe to say the parts are the same. From what I understand, they’re a hybrid of sorts. KW V2 and Clubsport. The front is stiff and linear, but the tears are progressive.

Nonetheless, one glowing review was enough for me to take the dive on a very lightly used set of these for under $1,000.

Fast forward a week and a half, and they’re installed at my local speed shop.

Wow. First things first - I’m the first to call out a bad damper. I had some BC BR installed on an M6 a few years back and almost vomited from the pathetic attempt at creating a coilover. Stiff, valved poorly, and skipped over any slight bump. Mid corner steady state also sucked as the car never felt “settled”. I also installed some Koni Yellows on an S197 once, and that was just as bad. Poorly damped.

Let’s get this out of the way first - they do NOT ride more “comfy” than stock. I don’t care what anyone says. A good shock will still retain some comfort, but by nature, it’s valved stiffer. These are no different. They soak up bumps and don’t unsettle, but they’re not a 7 series cruiser by any means. I started at half stiffness.

Corner 1: Much improved body control. Body motion on initial turn in is firm and planted, and gone is that dreaded floaty body feeling. They’re not valved too stuff where they are affected by undulations, but just right. This first corner was a tight sweeper. Taken normally at 38-39, I was promptly at 40 with far more precision and body management. The chassis finally felt “one” with the body. Steering was also noticeably more communicative.

Corner 2: Long 60 MPH sweeper. As I put more stress on these coilovers attempting to find flaws like I always do, I could not. My last set of TCK DA coilovers were definitely undersprung or undervalved, as they didn’t inspire confidence like a sport coilover should IMO. That’s not to say they were bad, but if I’m upgrading a stock comfy suspension I had better get something that feels utterly solid. These did not. I digress. The STs however extend confidence, stability, accuracy, and a “no roll attitude”. They did have a bit of softness when approaching high speeds, so it was time to tune them in.

I got to a lot, and stiffened them up. 2 clicks harder on the rear and 3 in front. Now we’re talking!

Back to a couple of switchbacks and hard sweepers and they feel even better. They’re control is excellent.

You can however, feel their slightly soft rear springs when you hit a small bump around a corner and the rear ever so slightly is a bit “slower” to react.

All of this being said, I was determined to take these at truly a high rate of speed. There are several off ramps in central Florida which are perfect for testing suspensions (banks, opposite banks, smooth road, rough road, etc).

I hit a turn which started as a sweeper and then gets progressively tighter and then straightens out a bit. I hit this corner HARD. Initially I came in hot at 55 and the car kept its composure. The Michelin super sport tires were biting hard into the pavement. As the corner got tighter I quickly lifted off the throttle to let the suspension do its job. Wow. 49 MPH in this tight, tight smooth ramp. The car was rolling ever so slightly. The kind of roll which allows the tires to dig for even more grip as they’re forced into the ground.

On exit, I rolled into the throttle and that dreary understeer was gone. The body stayed flat and ready to do its job.

Let’s conclude this way-too-Long review. These coilovers for their price are simply put, a no brainer. I wouldn’t hesitate to put these on a spirited DD or a light track car.

While they do have their limits, I feel as if the MPSS tire had a limit before these did!
2003 Quad Cab Silverado 1500 - Beast truck
2013 Audi RS5 - the "shared" DD
Appreciate 3
      07-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Thanks for the review. I feel the same, these deserve more attention from a return on investment standpoint.

BTW... Turns out I gave you the right part numbers to order to install this on your EDC car huh.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
E90Dave
Daily Dose of Reality
Rep
Drives: 2008 loaded DCT M3 MINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Thanks for the review. I feel the same, these deserve more attention from a return on investment standpoint.

BTW... Turns out I gave you the right part numbers to order to install this on your EDC car huh.

You were right!

These really are beyond words for their price.
2003 Quad Cab Silverado 1500 - Beast truck
2013 Audi RS5 - the "shared" DD
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Never heard of them before thanks for the review! I'll have to dig into these...

BTW let's see some photos of the car

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for this review. Hadn't heard of these either.

Ohlins R&T were my top contender for my daily car, but the suggested service intervals and cost are off putting.

Any idea if spacers are required, like the Apex wheels require for KW coil overs?

Also, we need pics!
      07-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Excerpt from ST's website:

In 2005, the German suspension manufacturer KW automotive GmbH, well known internationally for their KW Coilover height adjustable suspension systems, purchased both Belltech Sport Trucks and Suspension Techniques and launched KW automotive North America Inc. With the name purchase and a formal name change of the brand to it’s current nameplate of “ST suspensions”. The infusion of the technology from ST’s new parent company took ST's game to a whole new level, increasing not only its application range coverage, but adding the innovative ST Coilover program, which was modeled after a galvanized KW Variant 1 coilover design.

With this influx of worldwide technology, staff, and engineering base ST boasts one of the largest application ranges and largest distribution chains of any suspension manufacturer in North America.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
@E90Dave do you recall if your strut and spring perch clearance was reduced as compared with stock struts/spring? Really interested in these coil overs, but concerned about front clearance with 18x10 ET25 Apex wheels up front. There doesn't seem to be much info out there on these.
      07-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
VDRM3
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Anyone use an aftermarket rear strut mount with these?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #9
Swiift
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post

Would you still happen to know the part number for these I also have EDC and wanna make the switch from BC racing coils to these thanks in advance !
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 10:38 PM   #10
TheM3Chase
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiift View Post
Would you still happen to know the part number for these I also have EDC and wanna make the switch from BC racing coils to these thanks in advance !
Jumping on this thread but I believe the part number you're looking for is STS1820220857

It's the ST XTA for EDC cars but it doesn't mean it's plug and play with your EDC

I think the only true PnP EDC coilover is the bilstein b16 damptronics

I'm not sure what the difference in the ST coilover is between non edc and edc
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Love to see this! Nothing I hate more than people thinking you need to spend crazy money on coilovers for performance (or 3-Way remote MCS's on a street car). I liked these almost as much as my Fortune Auto 510's or Bilstein PSS10's that were both custom valved & monotube.

Now go try the crazy 3 way version they released!! I really want to see real world track reviews of those shocks. I assume they're just slightly modified 3-Way KW Clubsports without canisters, doubt they'd go through the R&D again for such a similar shock.