BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT

I'm suppose to finalise the sale of my 2005 Pontiac GTO tomorrow at 2:00pm. After that I'm hitching a ride to the BMW dealership to place an order for a 2013 M3

My plan is to order the following:

Space Grey
Carbon Roof
DCT
Competition package
Premium Package
Black Novillo leather
Carbon Leather Trim
BMW Apps (I use Mog and Pandora on a daily basis)
Heated Seats
**edit** Premium Sound

Not sure about the Hi beam assist, Cold weather package and XM Radio

In my opinion I think that high beam assist is for lazy folks. I'd rather keep my attention focused on the road and flip the beams myself. Is the assist worth the $250?

I've heard people say to stay away from the cold weather package as the headlight washers overspray way too much, so I plan on omitting the cold weather option, since I don't need a ski bag; however, just included heated seats. Hopefully this is the right move.

Also, I've read that Sirius Radio can be added at a later time by purchasing a license since it's already built into the car. Is this true? I will have an American Spec car; however, it will be in England for the next 2 years till I return back to the U.S, therefore, I will not need XM till then.

Any other recommendations or suggestions from the M3 veterans in here? Anything I'm forgetting? I hope to be part of the BMW clan very soon. I believe the dealership has a November or December slot available. Shouldn't be a long wait.

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
The right call on excluding the CWP and just getting the Heated Seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Is there an inventory list somewhere of all the items that are suppose to ship with the car?

For example: Amount of keys, manuals, air compressor, jack, DVDs, key chains, license plate holder, etc.

2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris View Post
Is there an inventory list somewhere of all the items that are suppose to ship with the car?

For example: Amount of keys, manuals, air compressor, jack, DVDs, key chains, license plate holder, etc.
check this out .... may not show it all ... then 2 keys and manuals are always part of it and so is the compressor to add air to your non-run flat tires
Attached Images

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Carbon Leather with a black interior will be a lot of black; for that reason I got aluminum (pardon me, "aluminium" where you are ) and I'm very happy with the contrast, but I know some don't like it or feel it's been overdone in cars in general by now.

Otherwise, I'm personally biased towards a manual transmission (my current M3 was the first manual car I'd ever driven and I'm hooked), but I'm sure you've already read at least some of the numerous threads on the subject, and I can't deny that DCT is an extraordinary piece of engineering.

I think heated seats rather than CWP is absolutely the right move (though I didn't get either one since my last car had heated seats and I never used them), and I have never once wished I had High Beam Assist. In fact if I had it on I'd probably worry that it might not turn off correctly when a car was approaching, at which point I'd be focusing on my high beams just as much as if I hadn't gotten the option in the first place -- though I admit I haven't done research into how well owners claim it works.

I'm not sure about being able to add Sirius later purely by purchasing a license. There is definitely a retrofit option, but it may involve hardware. Hopefully others more certain than I will chime in there.

The only thing I would consider adding would be the Enhanced Premium Sound option. It won't completely blow your mind, but it is definitely very good, and I believe made necessary by the fact that the base stereo is truly abysmal. Then again, I admit that I only listen to it on longer highway trips, because everywhere else I prefer to listen to the stereo located directly under the hood.

Enjoy your M3!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-23-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
silverspoon
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW... Yet.

For that exterior color I'd rather go with fox red extended leather and carbon accents... Sportier and classier IMHO...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

I got the cwp for the resale value then just get it coded and turn off the headlight sprayers and do a slew of other things while you are at it.
I second the premium sound, makes a big difference.
      09-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

As you, I ordered the heated seats alone instead of the entire CWP. My reason though is because I don't really drive my M in foul weather, and if I should, I won't go very long without washing the entire car so headlight washers would never get used. Nor, would I use my M to go skiing, so the ski bag is useless to me.

I did however opt for the auto highbeams and I like the feature. It's nice when driving down a country road at night and not having to remember to dim my lights at passing cars. But if I were trying to keep costs down, that would be one of the first options I would skip.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

I didnt order the CWP or high beam assist. I can turn my high beams on and off by myself and I dont need headlight washers or a ski bag. I do however want heated seats, so I just ordered the heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

I forgot about the premium sound option. That will also get added tomorrow.

I can't do fox red. I test drove one with red and just didn't care for the color. I guess just call me a purist. Now it would be titties if they would let me get red stitching. Unfortunately, I'm told I can't get it done at the dealership.

This is where I get torn. I've thought about the aluminum trim, but it seems like soooo early/mid 2000's.

I understand its gonna be way too much black inside; however, I'm hoping that the premium sound speaker grills with the silver rings will accent the interior some.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I don't have CWP, but I do have heated seats. And at times, I do need it. I have a weak back, and sometimes those seats can be beneficial when I am in pain in the lumbar area.
Well, early congrats on your ordering.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions
I don't have CWP, but I do have heated seats. And at times, I do need it. I have a weak back, and sometimes those seats can be beneficial when I am in pain in the lumbar area.
Well, early congrats on your ordering.
That's a good idea. I'm mostly getting the heated seats for he wife. She is cold natured, and it usually gets quite cold in England. Can't wait to get back to the U.S.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss
As you, I ordered the heated seats alone instead of the entire CWP. My reason though is because I don't really drive my M in foul weather, and if I should, I won't go very long without washing the entire car so headlight washers would never get used. Nor, would I use my M to go skiing, so the ski bag is useless to me.

I did however opt for the auto highbeams and I like the feature. It's nice when driving down a country road at night and not having to remember to dim my lights at passing cars. But if I were trying to keep costs down, that would be one of the first options I would skip.
Ah yes. I remember when I bought my GTO brand new, I was waxing and washing it every week. It paid off after 7.5 years. The paint still looks phenomenal.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Is it correct that the rear seats only fold down if the car has the Cold Weather Pkg?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

i bought mine used,and didn't want the cold weather package,and agree about not needing the auto high beams.i love my sunroof,it only adds about 25 lb.,but the carbon roof looks great.mine came with the base hifi sound,so i upgraded the speakers with the bsw ones.
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/

you can get a better sounding system for less than the $1900 for premium.i also didn't want nav/idrive,which you have to have to get premium sound.the carbon leather is beautiful,i just bought it separately,but i agree that it's a lot of black with black interior.

you'll enjoy the car,it's a civilized beast
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I have black and carbon interior and
I love it but it's also on a white car. It's very premium without being flashy. Regarding CWP, I hate my headlight washers. Thankfully if you turn headlights to off, it won't spray the lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is where I get torn. I've thought about the aluminum trim, but it seems like soooo early/mid 2000's.

I understand its gonna be way too much black inside; however, I'm hoping that the premium sound speaker grills with the silver rings will accent the interior some.
The premium sound grilles will definitely help -- but they also go PERFECTLY with brushed aluminum. I dunno, I agree aluminum isn't the "in" thing anymore, but I'd rather have something that complements the overall interior even if it's a tad dated than something ultra-modern that doesn't work as well. Besides, it's not as if mid-2000s was very long ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Is it correct that the rear seats only fold down if the car has the Cold Weather Pkg?
No. At least for US spec, all E92s have fold-down rear seats standard, and they're a standalone option for the departed E90. They might have also been part of the CWP on the E90, but I don't recall.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post

No. At least for US spec, all E92s have fold-down rear seats standard, and they're a standalone option for the departed E90. They might have also been part of the CWP on the E90, but I don't recall.
Good to know... Even though I may not need the seats to fold down, you never know when you might need to stick in a 2x4 in the car
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #19
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Yeah no need for cold weather.
      09-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #20
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
The premium sound grilles will definitely help -- but they also go PERFECTLY with brushed aluminum. I dunno, I agree aluminum isn't the "in" thing anymore, but I'd rather have something that complements the overall interior even if it's a tad dated than something ultra-modern that doesn't work as well. Besides, it's not as if mid-2000s was very long ago....
So I made a comparison image, and I gotta say, I do like the aluminum contrast; however, the carbon leather just looks very new and modern.

I think I'll go with the carbon leather. If I change my mind, I guess I can always have someone wrap them in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ Sounds good OP, but if you decide you don't want carbon leather down the road, I'd recommend just buying the actual aluminum trim pieces rather than wrapping what you have. Or you could offer a trim trade on these boards in case someone with aluminum wants your carbon leather. Carbon leather is pretty popular, so that should definitely be possible.

Of course at the end of the day, as I've driven more cars and gotten more into cars in general, I've noticed that I pay practically no attention to details like this anymore. When you're the type of person who usually drives a car for the enjoyment of the drive, the only things that really matter are the feel of the steering, shifter, clutch, brake, throttle, seats, overall handling, power, engine note, (maybe) visibility, (maybe) air conditioning, and (maybe) stereo. Everything else like extended leather, trick navigation systems, and other techno gadgetry are just dressing. Enjoy!

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 09-24-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Good to know... Even though I may not need the seats to fold down, you never know when you might need to stick in a 2x4 in the car
Yeah, 2008 E90s had fold down rear seats with CWP only.
Appreciate 0