BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #11837
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Unless I'm missing something, 265/660-18 Pirelli slicks should fit my 18" Apex EC7 square setup on stock ZCP suspension, right?

275/35-18 NT01s rub a little up front close to full lock but that's not a worry on track.
Are you able to get 645's instead? The 660's should work but you'll have even less clearance than with the NT01's.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #11838
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I have the true coilover rear on my CS, do it!!
Did you do any re-enforcements?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #11839
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Are you able to get 645's instead? The 660's should work but you'll have even less clearance than with the NT01's.
Found a good deal on a used set so it's more of a "making it work" situation. Luckily, no tight corners at my local track so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #11840
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Did you do any re-enforcements?
Nopes. The F8X uses an eye-to-eye rear shock. It has a large plate to distribute the forces.

Quite different from the E9X generation!
Appreciate 1
tdott3956.00
      04-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #11841
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Question for all the carbon fiber plenum folks in here... I was on Burkhart ordering some Do88 goodies and spotted this Karbonius motorsport Plenum, has anyone had any experience with this or similarly designed intakes? It looks very similar to the M24 version that's 2x the price.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #11842
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_M3 View Post
Question for all the carbon fiber plenum folks in here... I was on Burkhart ordering some Do88 goodies and spotted this Karbonius motorsport Plenum, has anyone had any experience with this or similarly designed intakes? It looks very similar to the M24 version that's 2x the price.

Curious as well. I've looked into the M24 one, but didn't want modify the radiator setup like the M24 one requires. I haven't come across anything that would allow this race style intake without modification for a frontal intake setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #11843
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

i'm not sure what they intended to go on the "mouth" of that version of the plenum, but maybe a filter? i've never seen a scoop for the karbonius version.
either way, it would require ditching the a/c and tilting the radiator forward for filter clearance.
      04-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #11844
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm not sure what they intended to go on the "mouth" of that version of the plenum, but maybe a filter? i've never seen a scoop for the karbonius version.
either way, it would require ditching the a/c and tilting the radiator forward for filter clearance.
Yeah I'm stumped by it too. I would expect it to come with the scoop but the site does not show any. I think I saw in another thread that someone on here is running the Geoff Steel intake that's similarly routed? I would be very interested to see what power/temperate gains come from this type of intake setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #11845
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I'm stumped by it too. I would expect it to come with the scoop but the site does not show any. I think I saw in another thread that someone on here is running the Geoff Steel intake that's similarly routed? I would be very interested to see what power/temperate gains come from this type of intake setup.
Most from what I've seen, including the Geoff Steel one, feed into a filter located in the kidney grills. Almost all of them require tilting of the front coolers - radiator and oil cooler. That makes the job a lot more involved to fad up new mounts and reposition everything accordingly. I've read that this race style intake, with proper tuning, can be about 30whp - which is why I was intrigued.

Picture for reference:
Appreciate 1
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      04-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #11846
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
A lot of early cancellations and events rescheduled for 2021 so that might be this year's track season done. I was hoping to wear out my NT01s before I tried these decently worn Pirelli DH slicks.

I'll have to go further south in search of events.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #11847
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Most from what I've seen, including the Geoff Steel one, feed into a filter located in the kidney grills. Almost all of them require tilting of the front coolers - radiator and oil cooler. That makes the job a lot more involved to fad up new mounts and reposition everything accordingly. I've read that this race style intake, with proper tuning, can be about 30whp - which is why I was intrigued.

Picture for reference:
Yes to all of this with the Karbonius racing air box. To me this box works best if you are already planning on doing quite a bit of rearranging in the front. They do not have a "mouth" or filter assembly like roastbeef said so would have to completely fab it. And like tsk94 mentioned the radiator has to be lowered and tilted forward. Quite a bit of custom fab work involved here. The M24 box has the "mouth" & the Geoff Steele intake can work with the oem air box - so both would just require the radiator work. But...

Here's the type of logic that causes builds to spiral out of control...

If you are going through the time and trouble to lower and angle the radiator why not do what you can to maximize the cooling? Lets go ahead and open up the airflow quite a bit to the radiator. The oil cooler blocks the flow quite a bit - its got to go... Now the radiator is pretty tall - can't lower or angle that much - what now? Custom radiator might do the trick... Ok that might work but now we are still restricted by the size of the opening in the bumper. Custom bumper you say? Why not... So now we have room to go straight back from the kidney grills to the air box - just a simple matter of building the intake and incorporating a filter. Oh hey - since we are controlling the dimensions of the intake we can design it with chimneys coming from the radiator in mind. Maybe some dual fans & can route each one out through the vents in the hood - sure, why not. Oh wait - what are we supposed to do with the oil & DCT coolers??? Ah f@*! it - lets try it.

So to me if this sounds like your way of thinking then the Karbonius racing air box might be for you.
Appreciate 5
//steve\\1074.00
tsk941525.00
M3MPH1S592.00
Bartledoo2691.50
SYT_Shadow11500.00
      04-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #11848
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Yes to all of this with the Karbonius racing air box. To me this box works best if you are already planning on doing quite a bit of rearranging in the front. They do not have a "mouth" or filter assembly like roastbeef said so would have to completely fab it. And like tsk94 mentioned the radiator has to be lowered and tilted forward. Quite a bit of custom fab work involved here. The M24 box has the "mouth" & the Geoff Steele intake can work with the oem air box - so both would just require the radiator work. But...

Here's the type of logic that causes builds to spiral out of control...

If you are going through the time and trouble to lower and angle the radiator why not do what you can to maximize the cooling? Lets go ahead and open up the airflow quite a bit to the radiator. The oil cooler blocks the flow quite a bit - its got to go... Now the radiator is pretty tall - can't lower or angle that much - what now? Custom radiator might do the trick... Ok that might work but now we are still restricted by the size of the opening in the bumper. Custom bumper you say? Why not... So now we have room to go straight back from the kidney grills to the air box - just a simple matter of building the intake and incorporating a filter. Oh hey - since we are controlling the dimensions of the intake we can design it with chimneys coming from the radiator in mind. Maybe some dual fans & can route each one out through the vents in the hood - sure, why not. Oh wait - what are we supposed to do with the oil & DCT coolers??? Ah f@*! it - lets try it.

So to me if this sounds like your way of thinking then the Karbonius racing air box might be for you.
Haha. It's definitely a slippery slope! Is this the route you're going with your car?
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4727.50
      04-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #11849
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Haha. It's definitely a slippery slope! Is this the route you're going with your car?
Just going to leave it like this...

If in a couple of months my car shows up like this - then yes. If in a couple of months it doesn't - well then we royally botched it
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #11850
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just going to leave it like this...

If in a couple of months my car shows up like this - then yes. If in a couple of months it doesn't - well then we royally botched it
I hope it works out! Are you using the Geoff Steel kidney grill intake or doing a custom one?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #11851
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I hope it works out! Are you using the Geoff Steel kidney grill intake or doing a custom one?
I second this! Please take pics of how you end up routing this. Have you figured out what you're doing for tuning?
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4727.50
      04-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #11852
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Think we would get the most benefit from fabbing it ourselves. We can funnel the air straight back to the inlet of the Karbonius box without having to mess with the bends. Also gives us more room to run chimneys (if we want to) since the inlet is centered and not offset on the driver's side. Chimneys are the last item on the priority list here but want to keep the option open. Going to have our hands full with the bumper & intake as it is.

Quote:
I second this! Please take pics of how you end up routing this. Have you figured out what you're doing for tuning?
Right now we are running an Epic tune. Once we have this done - and a couple of other things that we have in the works - we will definitely have to spend some time dyno tuning. At that point will decide which direction to go to accommodate the dyno time & what we need done.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #11853
OG Shark
Rep

Hankook F200 - C52 medium compound thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #11854
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
@OG Shark I have done the Geoff Steel intake and many other track upgrades. Check out my build thread and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Def have to do a shorter radiator. I cut the bumper and ducted everything to the radiator. The oil coolers are in the lower left and right. One in the old intake location and the other in front of and below the DCT cooler.

Power steering is electric so the cooler is eliminated and AC is out. So yes the rabbit hole is real.

Have an epic race tune but haven't had it on a dyno.
Attached Images

04-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #11855
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
@OG Shark I have done the Geoff Steel intake and many other track upgrades. Check out my build thread and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Def have to do a shorter radiator. I cut the bumper and ducted everything to the radiator. The oil coolers are in the lower left and right. One in the old intake location and the other in front of and below the DCT cooler.

Power steering is electric so the cooler is eliminated and AC is out. So yes the rabbit hole is real.

Awesome, how's it hold up in the Georgia heat?

That is pretty much what we are going for too but in a bit different manner with the oil & DCT coolers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #11856
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post

Awesome, how's it hold up in the Georgia heat?

That is pretty much what we are going for too but in a bit different manner with the oil & DCT coolers.
Fine so far. 90 degree days with humidity car operates with in expected temperatures.
      04-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #11857
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Does anyone have feedback on Toyo RR vs. Maxxis RC1 R2 vs. Nankang AR-1, all in same sizing? Planning to run 295/30/18 RR as a test, have been running AR-1 lately. Heard good things about RR..... but on our heavy cars? No clue
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #11858
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
Does anyone have feedback on Toyo RR vs. Maxxis RC1 R2 vs. Nankang AR-1, all in same sizing? Planning to run 295/30/18 RR as a test, have been running AR-1 lately. Heard good things about RR..... but on our heavy cars? No clue

LMAO, I was just about to post a question asking about the RR. I'm considering switching to it for TT.

My basic understanding of the RR is that it's faster than an R888R or NT01, but slower than a Hoosier (hence the lower price). NASA puts it in the same category as 100TW+ tires which has a modifier of 0.6 for TT. That should give you some indication of how it performs.

I don't see why the RR would be an issue for a "heavy" car. If you can get a big enough tire and manage the heat, it should be okay...?
kyippee1073.00