BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
ZoinksM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 DCT M3

iPOD/USB/Mini-jack/AUX = No Workie

I was in a relatively severe frontal collision that required the replacement of the front bumper, hood, radiator, sundry engine parts, etc.

The good news is;
1.) I'm ok
2.) I have the car back and it looks fantastic
3.) Mechanically, everything is running well

On a short list of minor issues that will require additional work, the one I'm trying to see if I can self-fix is the iPod integration.

When I attach an iPod to the Y-adaptor, the iPod does not show it is attached and the AUX option in the stereo menu stays grayed-out. I've tried with the iPod Classic 160GB I used previously, an iPod Nano (current gen) and a few friend's iPhones. All do the same thing, nothing.

I've also tried two thumb drives with NTFS and FAT32 file systems and normal MP3's. No joy. MP3 CD's work fine.

I haven't tried a pass-through mini-jack into the AUX port yet, but will later today. Don't think it will since I can't select AUX at all.

It would seem that the USB and/or AUX ports are dead. The body shop said they reloaded the progman setup (or whatever it is called) during the repairs. The service manager also said that they struggled a bit with the performance steering wheel during the update so I'm wondering if they could have made a mistake and inadvertently disabled the functionality.

So, long story short, is there anything I can do to remedy this? I've been without the car for quite a while, and I don't want to take it back just yet.

Thanks for your time
      06-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoinksM3 View Post
I was in a relatively severe frontal collision that required the replacement of the front bumper, hood, radiator, sundry engine parts, etc.

The good news is;
1.) I'm ok
2.) I have the car back and it looks fantastic
3.) Mechanically, everything is running well

On a short list of minor issues that will require additional work, the one I'm trying to see if I can self-fix is the iPod integration.

When I attach an iPod to the Y-adaptor, the iPod does not show it is attached and the AUX option in the stereo menu stays grayed-out. I've tried with the iPod Classic 160GB I used previously, an iPod Nano (current gen) and a few friend's iPhones. All do the same thing, nothing.

I've also tried two thumb drives with NTFS and FAT32 file systems and normal MP3's. No joy. MP3 CD's work fine.

I haven't tried a pass-through mini-jack into the AUX port yet, but will later today. Don't think it will since I can't select AUX at all.

It would seem that the USB and/or AUX ports are dead. The body shop said they reloaded the progman setup (or whatever it is called) during the repairs. The service manager also said that they struggled a bit with the performance steering wheel during the update so I'm wondering if they could have made a mistake and inadvertently disabled the functionality.

So, long story short, is there anything I can do to remedy this? I've been without the car for quite a while, and I don't want to take it back just yet.

Thanks for your time

Let's see if I can help at all. If the "AUX" feature is completely gray and unavailable, then it is most likely not a problem with the cable or your ipod. Do all the other features of the audio system work? What about your bluetooth or BMW assist?

The USB interface is controlled by the M-ULF control module. This module is located in the center trunk area underneath the TCU module. There isn't much you can check physically with the control unit, other than make sure no liquids were spilled in the trunk area near the M-ULF module. If that looks OK, then I would try disconnecting the battery negative lead for a few minutes. Sometimes this helps reset modules that have become frozen during programing. If that doesn't do it, you are going to have to have it diagnosed properly.