BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

06-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Stand Up Paddle boarding....

Anyone SUPing?

If so, where are your favorite spots?
      06-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

My best friend has been doing it last 4 years or so. He surfs with his too. Has done the lap of manhattan the last 2 years. He has been trying to get me to do it. Looks like a pita.
      06-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

It's pretty fun actually. Here in FL with the water so clear it cool to see all the marine life while gliding along.

Been jonesing to take it surfing. Never been surfing on such a large board. Will be heading to the east coast soon! However you don't need a large wave to surf or even one at all.....

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 06-04-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Dang, i figured there would be a lot of members paddling, especially with the large number of Cali members....

Here are the boards we picked up....

Not a great pic of the boards. It was actually a pic of the pulley system i came up with the store the boards between the garage doors.

06-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

^^ good thinking and great execution

anyone here surf montauk/smith point? always nice to meet new people
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
deanmc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
Yeah, out here in So Cal, SUPers are liabilities...it's not fun when some dumbass loses his 60lb board and it's flying at your face while you're paddling out because the guy doesn't know how to surf. They need to stay out of the lineup.
      06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

I figure that would be more of a problem with surf. There needs to be some etiquette lessons that come with the boards. However, not sure what kind of boards are being used out there. My floating dock 12'x33"only weights 27lb; wife's 11'6" only weighs about 22lb.

I'm sure there's enough surf to go around.
      06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Just got back from 2 weeks in Maui. There are alot more of them than I thought! They were everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

shit looks retarded, if you're going to do that behind the boat you might as well wakeboard
      06-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Yeah. Wake surfing is why people get these boards....
      06-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Yeah. Wake surfing is why people get these boards....
well if they get it to paddle standing up with no wake, even more retarded
      06-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

06-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Anyone SUPing?

If so, where are your favorite spots?
is it hard to do? always see people doing it and it looks easy but once my dumbass gets on one, i'll probably eat shit
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

It's not that difficult. Get the right size board and you'll be fine. If you're a big guy with a small board it won't be comfortable. But get a large board and it'll be fine.

When on my wife's board which is 6" shorter and 4" narrower i really have to pay attention. When i'm on my board i can relax, look around, move around on the board comfortably.
      06-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
shit looks retarded, if you're going to do that behind the boat you might as well wakeboard
Shits all I do.. wakesurfing. It's fun as hell and doesnt punish you like wakeboarding does. w/ a big board though, yeah... dumb.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #16
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
It's not that difficult. Get the right size board and you'll be fine. If you're a big guy with a small board it won't be comfortable. But get a large board and it'll be fine.

When on my wife's board which is 6" shorter and 4" narrower i really have to pay attention. When i'm on my board i can relax, look around, move around on the board comfortably.
what's a good beginner brand? or are they all pretty much the same? and im a 6 footer so what would be a good size? thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
andyl
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M Sport

It's super easy to do. I've just started getting in to paddleboarding recently. It's getting pretty popular in my area now especially since the weather is getting better...

This site has a lot of info for tip http://www.paddleboardn.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
what's a good beginner brand? or are they all pretty much the same? and im a 6 footer so what would be a good size? thanks
You can pick up a board a wallmart but will probably regret it. Yolo, Surftech, Naish, Starboard, C4 Waterman, Hobie, all great brands with lots of experience with making boards. I went with Starboards because of 2 reasons. They were one of the few around that i could try that was in the size i was looking for. And they have made windsurf boards for a long time now. I figure that since they have been building long wide boards for so long it's an easy transition for them. It might be more of a challenge for a company that has been making 6' surfboards their entire existence. That said, my wife has a Surftech Larid board which seems to be faster than my board, but that's likely because it's much smaller.

Sizing is based more on your weight than size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl View Post
It's super easy to do. I've just started getting in to paddleboarding recently. It's getting pretty popular in my area now especially since the weather is getting better...

This site has a lot of info for tip http://www.paddleboardn.com
Nice site! Lots of info here EB.
      06-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Shits all I do.. wakesurfing. It's fun as hell and doesnt punish you like wakeboarding does. w/ a big board though, yeah... dumb.
We have wake skating here now, on a board that isnt hooked to your feet like a wakeboard(hints why its called wake skate), and you get pulled behind and boat and do skate tricks. Wear a pair of tennis shoes that are typically skater shoes. Looks dumb but way more difficult than paddling a giant board while standing on it. People have been doing that for centuries, expect it was labor not leisure.
      06-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
We have wake skating here now, on a board that isnt hooked to your feet like a wakeboard(hints why its called wake skate), and you get pulled behind and boat and do skate tricks. Wear a pair of tennis shoes that are typically skater shoes. Looks dumb but way more difficult than paddling a giant board while standing on it. People have been doing that for centuries, expect it was labor not leisure.
All of it's fun. Wakesurfing on a short board is a blast and wakeskating is awesome, especially when all your friends are damn near pro wakeboarders and you bust out wakeskating shit they cant do because I have a skateboard back ground!

Think of a paddle board as a more versatile kayak. You can surf on them, fish on them, my wife does yoga and other exercises on them for the added challenge. Or you can just chill and paddle around. You might think of it differently if you can imagine seeing shit loads of fish, sharks, dolphins, crabs, sting rays, ect... swimming under your board as you soak up some sun....

Just differnt strokes bro, i'm 37 and after skating all those years my body is starting to let me know how old i am. So after snowboarding in the winter, MTN biking in the spring, it's nice to just float around and get some exercise with out the impact.
      06-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All of it's fun. Wakesurfing on a short board is a blast and wakeskating is awesome, especially when all your friends are damn near pro wakeboarders and you bust out wakeskating shit they cant do because I have a skateboard back ground!

Think of a paddle board as a more versatile kayak. You can surf on them, fish on them, my wife does yoga and other exercises on them for the added challenge. Or you can just chill and paddle around. You might think of it differently if you can imagine seeing shit loads of fish, sharks, dolphins, crabs, sting rays, ect... swimming under your board as you soak up some sun....

Just differnt strokes bro, i'm 37 and after skating all those years my body is starting to let me know how old i am. So after snowboarding in the winter, MTN biking in the spring, it's nice to just float around and get some exercise with out the impact.
I'm just giving you a hard time man, I know that there are lots of things out there the different people enjoy. I'm much younger than you and I understand that with age things change. Now all you need to do is get good at spearfishing and go Cast Away on those fish swimming under you.
      06-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

I can take it..... I'm married.

I had a dolphin swimming next to me for about a 1/4 mile the other day. Just swimming along side with one eye out of the water checking me out. The fish would be tough to spear, but you could come away with a chit load of rays or crabs. The rays are big targets and the crabs are just slow.