BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Tinting and automatic window roll down.

Hi guys,

What happens regarding this process? I thought you weren't supposed to roll down windows for a set period of time after tinting, but my BMW automatically drops the windows slightly when you open the doors.

Any way to disable? Or is it a non-issue.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
mot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Hi guys,

What happens regarding this process? I thought you weren't supposed to roll down windows for a set period of time after tinting, but my BMW automatically drops the windows slightly when you open the doors.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
goto35
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 m3 cars in 14 years :)

non issue just dont roll is all the way down
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Non issue, but limit getting in and out of the car for 24 hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I'd say the window rubbing against the semi-hard rubber when closing the door is more dangerous than lowering the window even all the way down. Any decent tint job should extend the film below the window seal inside the door, so lowering the window is no longer an issue. If you lower the window all the way down, and the top of the window gets below this seal, the danger again is at the top of the film, when raising the window.

Anyway, what I did was not close the door completely (just first click, which doesn't raise the window) after the job was done for a couple of days, but it's not my DD. I'd leave it like that for a day, or at least the afternoon and night, and everything should be fine, especially now that's warm. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Thanks guys.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Hi guys,

A good tint shop will trick the car into thinking the doors are closed so the windows will be all the way up. I watched mine do it at the latch.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Ahh good point. Because the windows will be slightly down when the tinter opens the car, will they know to automatically account for this?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpipes View Post
A good tint shop will trick the car into thinking the doors are closed so the windows will be all the way up. I watched mine do it at the latch.
That's a given, to slide the tint as low as possible without removing anything, but can't close the door like that. Again, the tint at the bottom of the window is not an issue when the job is done properly. Problem is at the top. And remember to 'open' the door so the window lowers before closing door. I left mine half-closed overnight, so window didn't roll up against the tint.
Appreciate 0