BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Silent9o8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black M3 Convertible

Suspension "damage" what do you guys think?

So I took my 09 M3 Vert to Vegas for the weekend during Chinese new year from Utah. On the way home it starts snowing HARD what kind of luck is that? As i was almost home about 40 miles on the freeway I spun out about 3 times but nothing happened ( it sucked ass ).

Anyways 5 minutes from home I was going about 20-25 making a right turn sorta up a small hill I spun out again and there was a curb divider in the middle I slid to the left making the right and my left side hit the curb. After that I was like o shit must be ton of body damage and wheel I went outside and suprisingly there was NOTHING.

So I was 1 light down I got home and the next morning man as I drove out of the garage it not right for sure the steering wheel has to be turned to the right about 2-3 o clock to be going straight and I have a DSC malfunction after the emo tears I called BMW and made an appointment.

So on friday I got to BMW I was 2nd in line he said there checking me out 30 mins after I got there. So i waited for about 3 and half hours and he came out with a sheet of papers saying the damages are

Replace left front lower control arm 215.97
Replace steering rack and pinion 2,226.88
Replace left front thrust arm 344.97
Replace left front wheel bearing 514.47
Replace left rear wheel bearing 646.18
Replace all 4 tires 1432.96
Wheel alightment 201.60

with tax and stuff it comes out to 5992.18

Funny thing is he brought out the papers and just said this is what happened and then he said there looking at it still and SO he printed out all this already and said u probably have to replace the back left suspension stuff too but he said U MIGHT. Iono I think they are trying to pocket hella money from me and I'm not a handy man wish i knew more about the cars suspension and what not. Also he asked to keep the car there and I said no i want to take it home so he said okay. As i was preparing to leave he kept asking to come back and call him asap and come back on MONDAY.

I just want your guys oppinion what should I do. Ill be calling insurance but still feel like they trying to hella jip me and theres only 2 Dealers here in Utah so it sucks ass so they know they can do w/e they want.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I would have the insurance take care of it. It was an act of God, you did not plan for the snow, so it should not go against you on your insurance. It should be part of your comprehensive part of the insurance. I can understande if you were driving like a maniac, but this weather related.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Silent9o8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black M3 Convertible

Nah I checked the weather 2 days before and a day before it said no snow as I was coming into Provo (utah) it started raining hell like God didnt want me to come home. I slid down a freeway ramp going 0MPH on the gas i just had to SLIDE down the ramp luckily its Utah and 3am in the morning. mm okay thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
It was an act of God, you did not plan for the snow, so it should not go against you on your insurance. It should be part of your comprehensive part of the insurance.
Althought I admire your wishful, if misguided, thinking this is not even remotely close to accurate.

I do agree however that for that amount, and without even looking at the LR yet (which IS odd, isn't it?) I'd have an adjuster involved who can manage the claim and damage assessment better. Of course, tires aren't going to be covered unless their damage was caused by the impact.......
      02-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent9o8 View Post
Replace steering rack and pinion 2,226.88
This being shot surprises me.

Quote:
Replace all 4 tires 1432.96
...and these being shot show me exactly who's fault it was

Quote:
I'm not a handy man wish i knew more about the cars.
But you do know that taking a road trip in the winter on bald tires is probably not the best idea, right?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
I would have the insurance take care of it. It was an act of God, you did not plan for the snow, so it should not go against you on your insurance.
IT DOES . Only if you hit an animal it goes to your comprehensive; otherwise it's collision man. Even when it's your first accident in over 25 years, like in my case.

Anyway, almost the same thing happened to me (no snow or rain forecasted... on my birthday), but I did hit a cattle guard right after I regained traction (never lost all control by countersteering, but there just was no traction on the tarmac). Damage was just cosmetic, but still added up to 10 grand. Was mad as hell, mostly for believing the PS2 tires were any good in those conditions. I could have turned around and avoid that, but never imagined those tires being absolute crap in winter. Live and learn. And yes folks, the PS2s are strictly a SUMMER TIRE, so them being crap in winter should be a given. Good luck man. And yes, make an insurance claim. My premium went up about $100, so it wasn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
I would have the insurance take care of it. It was an act of God, you did not plan for the snow, so it should not go against you on your insurance. It should be part of your comprehensive part of the insurance. I can understande if you were driving like a maniac, but this weather related.
If the car hits another car or something that is stationary it is a collision. It doesn't matter how bad the weather was. (Perhaps continuing to drive was ill advised.) Bending a wheel on a pot hole is treated as collision.

Comprehensive is when your car is damaged as a result of something that was not a collision, typically includes theft, vandalism, tree limb, hail, etc. Something other than another car that hits and damages your car is covered by comprehensive. A bird strike or a rock thrown up cracking the windshield for example.

Spinning out into a curb is going to be a collision.