BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

11-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #1519
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
Google maps introduced this feature in August. Since Google owns waze it was only a matter of time.

Funny, I'm on the beta group. It works but you can't report anything with it.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #1520
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiceman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I've done the A pillar on all 3 of my cars and never had an issue. First it's a "Soft" piece, usually rattles happen with the hard bits. The fact that it's covered with fabric keeps it quite tight.

The little cap that sticks on is held really secure by some metal tabs, nothing to rattle there either. Pretty low risk, just make sure the cable is dressed and zip tied snug. That would be the only thing that could possibly tap around when moving but I haven't noticed any obvious issues.

I definitely wouldn't call my car "dead silent" between the exhaust alone and the squeaks from the door seals and tire noise I wouldn't call it the calmest place in the world but it's not bad. I haven't noticed any major rattles to annoy me on long highway cruises.
I meant the other pieces like dash trim but thanks for the feedback. My car isn't silent by any means but I meant no squeaking. I hit the door seals with 303 and keeps them quiet. Did you hide your module above/around the glove box?
I followed the Bimmertech installation video closely. My module is behind the HVAC panel. Those panels all are pretty rigid, no indications of anything flexible or flimsy enough to squeak.
GTiceman137.00
      11-25-2020, 02:29 AM   #1521
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Got my Carsara box in today. I tried to open it to look inside but there is a sticker with a manufacturing date on the seam that I don't wanna cut/remove incase it voids a warranty (does it even have one?).

Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  213.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0079.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  379.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:45 AM   #1522
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzoloco View Post
Got my Carsara box in today. I tried to open it to look inside but there is a sticker with a manufacturing date on the seam that I don't wanna cut/remove incase it voids a warranty (does it even have one?).

Attachment 2468888

Attachment 2468889
Where did you buy? I want to buy the same CIC version B unit (with AUX cable and mic splitter). Could you post a photo about the main menu of the box and SW version after the installation?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #1523
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzoloco View Post

Attachment 2468888

Attachment 2468889
I pulled my box open. It's a GPLink main processor.
Attached Images

11-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #1524
davedNconfused
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT Slicktop

When I last looked into a CarPlay solution, only the Anvin units were available but I wasn't convinced enough to go for it. Over the summer, I learned about bimmertech's MMI Prime and sort of figured I'd go that route when I was ready. I also thought the community would be using these as well so I was surprised to learn about Kremersino and Carsara and their price points and popularity here.

I've read the last 10 pages or so of this thread to try to arrive at my own conclusion as to which route to go but it seems there's little reason to go with bimmertech over say, Carsara but I'll still ask the question. Is there any argument to go with the more expensive bimmertech option over Carsara?

From what I've read (and I admit I need to do more reading to understand) the answer seems to be "no." It's hard to know for sure as there are a lot of edge cases to work through but fundamentally, these units appear to be comparable in every way except price. I'm open to paying for a superior solution (after all, this is why we're all driving M3s right?) but if there are no discernible differences, I don't see why any of us would do that.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #1525
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedNconfused View Post
When I last looked into a CarPlay solution, only the Anvin units were available but I wasn't convinced enough to go for it. Over the summer, I learned about bimmertech's MMI Prime and sort of figured I'd go that route when I was ready. I also thought the community would be using these as well so I was surprised to learn about Kremersino and Carsara and their price points and popularity here.

I've read the last 10 pages or so of this thread to try to arrive at my own conclusion as to which route to go but it seems there's little reason to go with bimmertech over say, Carsara but I'll still ask the question. Is there any argument to go with the more expensive bimmertech option over Carsara?

From what I've read (and I admit I need to do more reading to understand) the answer seems to be "no." It's hard to know for sure as there are a lot of edge cases to work through but fundamentally, these units appear to be comparable in every way except price. I'm open to paying for a superior solution (after all, this is why we're all driving M3s right?) but if there are no discernible differences, I don't see why any of us would do that.
Other than support I don't see any reason paying the premium for bimmertech, especially if you get the Carsara unit, which is pretty much identical.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #1526
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I was in the exact same boat as you, each unit seemed to have quality issues or inconsistencies, so I thought I'd try the carsara and I can see no areas other than documentation and instructions that could be improved. ESP since folks got the aux working via the head unit to improve the audio.

Certainly not $500+ reasons.
      11-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #1527
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Where did you buy? I want to buy the same CIC version B unit (with AUX cable and mic splitter). Could you post a photo about the main menu of the box and SW version after the installation?
Yes I can. I got mine on sale here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...56744c4d3sDNd9

It came with the mic splitter and the aux cable. But im gonna code out the aux as discussed earlier.

Black friday sale is active so id suggest you buy now.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #1528
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Other than support I don't see any reason paying the premium for bimmertech, especially if you get the Carsara unit, which is pretty much identical.
The thing is you dont really need to contact anyone with the Carsara unit. It has little to no bugs. So paying the extra $ for support you dont need is kinda dumb.

The seller (Terry) has been responsive. So I see no downsides of going with the "off brand" units. If anything the only downside is if you shelled out the $ for the BimmerTech box for no reason.

Last edited by icanturn; 11-25-2020 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:17 PM   #1529
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanturn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Yes I can. I got mine on sale here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...56744c4d3sDNd9

It came with the mic splitter and the aux cable. But im gonna code out the aux as discussed earlier.

Black friday sale is active so id suggest you buy now.
Just bought, nice heads up! $225 shipped
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:50 AM   #1530
admator
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 06 E60

Quote:
Check the output volume on the Carplay unit and the Aux volume on the CIC. Theres a chance of interference from somewhere else in the system but make sure those volumes both aren't maxxed out. Then see if it reduces or eliminates the buzz.
The sound is still buzzing. In CIC, the aux is set right in the middle. Carplay's audio options have made no change. Do you think HU AUX coding could help? Or another Carplay unit? I think the buzzing is related to the car lights..

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #1531
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The thing is you dont really need to contact anyone with the Carsara unit. It has little to no bugs. So paying the extra $ for support you dont need is kinda dumb.

The seller (Terry) has been responsive. So I see no downsides of going with the "off brand" units. If anything the only downside is if you shelled out the $ for the BimmerTech box for no reason.
I agree but if you read a few pages back where I had issues with the Kremersino unit. It was frustrating to have the car's interior in pieces for weeks and they wouldn't send a replacement unit until I uninstalled the defective unit, ship it back to them on my own dime and wait for it arrive back at their facility and then they would ship a replacement unit to you. Then you would have to wait another week or two for the replacement unit and no guarantee that the replacement unit would resolve the issue. Also, during the troubleshooting, all the burden was left on me to prove that the unit was in fact defective. That's the point I was trying to make.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #1532
zcp312
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Can anyone comment on how the Carsara unit is for Android Auto? From this thread it seemed like the Kremersino was the way to go for Android users and haven't seen much feedback around Android for Carsara. Any feedback appreciated, I'm in the same boat trying to figure out which one to buy that's best for Android.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #1533
danzio2020
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Did you get it to code without the IDrive extension cable just by using the white loop to terminate the connection instead of hooking it to the can at all? I didn't quite understand the comment.

How do you guys feel about the audio quality going through the HU now?

I picked up a cable for coding but haven't had any time to tear the interior apart again.
Coding only enables the aux through the quad lock t-harness without using the Carsara aux cable.

The iDrive controller extension cable is not required as per the terribly worded instructions haha. Remove D# (CAN terminator loop) and connect A# to B#. This enables iDrive control through the factory CANbus without the extension. I attached a picture to this post to show the correct connection. The only caveat with this method that you will not be able to code or access the CIC using coding/diagnostic tools.

Audio quality is different than using Combox. It required some adjustment in the Carsara EQ to bring some of the bass back. I have my aux volume set to 17 on Carsara and the CIC set to middle for aux volume.

Overall for the price I paid ($260 CAD on 11.11) I’m super happy with the unit and would recommend it to anyone. Install is fairly simple and straight forward and I prefer the factory mic and aux integration over the Kremersino units.

Last edited by danzio2020; 11-26-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #1534
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post
Quote:
Did you get it to code without the IDrive extension cable just by using the white loop to terminate the connection instead of hooking it to the can at all? I didn't quite understand the comment.

How do you guys feel about the audio quality going through the HU now?

I picked up a cable for coding but haven't had any time to tear the interior apart again.
Coding only enables the aux through the quad lock t-harness without using the Carsara aux cable.

The iDrive controller extension cable is not required as per the terribly worded instructions haha. Remove D# (CAN terminator loop) and connect A# to B#. This enables iDrive control through the factory CANbus without the extension. I attached a picture to this post to show the correct connection. The only caveat with this method that you will not be able to code or access the CIC using coding/diagnostic tools.

Audio quality is different than using Combox. It required some adjustment in the Carsara EQ to bring some of the bass back. I have my aux volume set to 17 on Carsara and the CIC set to middle for aux volume.

Overall for the price I paid ($260 CAD on 11.11) I’m super happy with the unit and would recommend it to anyone. Install is fairly simple and straight forward and I prefer the factory mic and aux integration over the Kremersino units.
thanks for the picture. I currently have mine hooked up this way as well but someone posted earlier that you can code without the idrive extension by hooking up the terminator loop. Are you able to determine where to hook up the terminator loop to allow coding without the idrive extension?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #1535
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I bought the Andream unit for CCC plus back up camera. It is en route from China.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:50 PM   #1536
danzio2020
Private
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the picture. I currently have mine hooked up this way as well but someone posted earlier that you can code without the idrive extension by hooking up the terminator loop. Are you able to determine where to hook up the terminator loop to allow coding without the idrive extension?
Oh yes sorry that was me. Connect the loop terminator D# to B# on the harness when you need to code the CIC. I have my cables and carsara module in the top right of the drivers footwell on my E70 to make it easy to access if I ever need to put the loop terminator to code it.
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2020, 01:16 AM   #1537
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Can you code for HU aux pre-carsara install? then install per normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:02 AM   #1538
danzio2020
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #1539
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone actually installed the bimmertech unit? Do we even know anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #1540
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post
Quote:
Yes.
When you do this the aux is traveling through what, the fiber connectors? there isnt an aux port on the head unit connector right so if you go the coding route do you need to connect the aux from the carsara into anything?
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0