BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #221
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

Oddly enough I ended up with a Cayman S w/PDK but kept the 6MT M3. Both are great cars in their own right, very different and very fun. I have a hard on for a 997 variant 911S at the moment, but can't justify the extra cost to over the M3 for what is now a mostly weekend car. I don't think you can go wrong moving to a PCar as they seem to have things well in order with the last few variants.

'11 e92 M3 6MT / Meisterschaft GTC

'14 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #222
Jmack5577
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral white e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan
It appears by the consensus here, the majority of 2011-2013 E9X ///M owners aren't swayed by the F8X cars. I happen to be one of them I'm not "hatin" on the new cars, I may consider an F80 at some point as an addition. But definitely not a replacement.
Exactly my thoughts... agree 100%
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #223
Harpua
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Yea, I mean from an aesthetic standpoint, the M3 with all the M performance parts I have on mine def looks good, but I could have gotten a much better car in a base 991 or Cayman S/GTS for about the same price or less even. If my daughter's car seat and getting her in and out wasnt an issue I would have done the 911, and even so I'm thinking about ditching the M3 for one.
Well, if there's a guy on M3Post that needs to be driving a 911, its you.
FWIW, I've had no issues with young 'uns in the back seat for well over 1hr trips. They put car seat clips there for a reason, you know
You won't regret the upgrade.
      06-14-2015, 02:50 AM   #224
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

It's still a bit early to tell. M3/4's have been out for barely a year now and I see more and more popping up every day now that the weather's gotten nicer. I saw at least 5+ f8x today alone where I saw 0 e9x M's. Once people warm up to the new M3's we'll see more people jump ship. If you asked me this question a year ago I wouldn't have had the slightest interest in the f8x (well, that's why I ended up with my car lol) but today I would say that interest grew slightly and may grow higher as the years go on, who knows.

Plus this topic is in the e9x section where you'll get biased answers. I lurk the f8x section a lot and I see plenty of people that came from e9x that are extremely happy with their new M's.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #225
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
It's still a bit early to tell. M3/4's have been out for barely a year now and I see more and more popping up every day now that the weather's gotten nicer. I saw at least 5+ f8x today alone where I saw 0 e9x M's. Once people warm up to the new M3's we'll see more people jump ship. If you asked me this question a year ago I wouldn't have had the slightest interest in the f8x (well, that's why I ended up with my car lol) but today I would say that interest grew slightly and may grow higher as the years go on, who knows.

Plus this topic is in the e9x section where you'll get biased answers. I lurk the f8x section a lot and I see plenty of people that came from e9x that are extremely happy with their new M's.
F8X M3/4 is such a better car in nearly every way. Granted I personally don't think it sounds quite as good as some of the many exhaust set ups I had on both of my e92 m3s, but its got a decent note when you add the M performance exhaust. This car though, especially with all the M performance carbon fiber def is quite a looker.
As far as performance and handling go though, its a different game.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #226
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Just fyi for e92 guys, with jb4 you can custom make additive boost maps and add a bit of boost from 5500 to 7500 in increasing fashion and you get a,nice top end monster. It made all the difference as you csn leave stock boost to upper rpms and then increase. having a true linear power curve makes the f80 a completely different car if you are like me and prefer a true linear power profile vs turbo type typical power. I almost sold my f80 until I found custom jb4 tool. I added a Porsche and kept my f80 instead of selling since it transformed the power delivery so nicely.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #227
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Just traded-in my 13 e92 m3 for a 15 Tanzanite blue m3 sedan.. I love the new car but the e92 will always hold a special place in my heart. Drove next to a MR e92 m3 on the way to work this morning and it just looked so bad ass (oem+ mods). I still can't tell how much presence the new car has on the road but the e92 still has it in spades.

The f80 doesn't sound bad; I like it but not remotely as good as my e92. Overall, an upgrade, IMO.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #228
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Not that I could afford it anyway, but I certainly would not trade my car in on the new F8X . Simply put, the new M3/M4 is a better performer all the way around. It just doesn't have the timeless look or personality of its predecessor. Now to be fair, there are no doubt E46 M3 owners who said the same thing when the E9X M3s came out.

Believe it or not, Ford has built a better E9X M3 successor than BMW with the new GT350. It is the first time in history I've given serious thought to buying a Mustang. Right now, the dealer markups will make it unattainable to get one and I'm fine with waiting. But once that dies down, the thought of buying a flat plane V8 w/8300 RPM cut off, six speed manual, track oriented coupe starting at $50K makes it the bargain of the century.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #229
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Just fyi for e92 guys, with jb4 you can custom make additive boost maps and add a bit of boost from 5500 to 7500 in increasing fashion and you get a,nice top end monster. It made all the difference as you csn leave stock boost to upper rpms and then increase. having a true linear power curve makes the f80 a completely different car if you are like me and prefer a true linear power profile vs turbo type typical power. I almost sold my f80 until I found custom jb4 tool. I added a Porsche and kept my f80 instead of selling since it transformed the power delivery so nicely.
If it works for Ferrari...?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #230
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
still sounds like trash.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #231
RG m3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

I bought my cpo 2010 e90 in 2012 because I knew the next gen would lose the V8. To me, that was key. The sounds the s65 makes as you rev it toward redline are amazing and thrilling. I don't care that the s55 is more powerful, torquier and more efficient because it sounds awful, inside or outside the cabin. That's the biggest deal breaker for me. A car of this caliber deserves much better.

I also prefer the more subtle but still muscular looks of the e90. The f80 isn't bad looking, but I do believe, like others have said, that it will age faster than previous generations. I never liked the hood and front end in general. The power dome looks like it doesn't belong there, there's the ugly cut line at the front and the bumper design is overdone. The rear is a bit better, but I still don't like the bumper design. All in all, too much boy racer for my tastes. I can look at the e90 from any angle and it never offends my eyes.

It also happens that I prefer the interior of the e90. I sat in a full leather f80 at my dealership and wasn't impressed. Some things (climate and radio controls, headliner, door panels, center armrest) feel cheaper than before. The dashboard has too many joints, cut lines and angles and looks too busy. e90 interior design flows better imo. Chassis wise, my slightly modded e90 is more than good enough for me since I don't track my car. With the awful roads we have around here, I prefer having a rubber isolated rear subframe for better ride quality and less noise.

To each their own. Buy the car that makes you feel the best and enjoy it. If it's the f8x, good for you. If it's the e9x, I understand!

I'll never regret buying this car. Gonna keep mine forever!
Fabspeed Maxflo rear section|Dinan suspension/camber plates|Gunmetal RAC RG63's| BPMSport stage 1 tune| UUC ssk/dssr| TMS black aluminum pedals| BMW edition front grilles| CarboProject cf plenum| UCP clutch pedal
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #232
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG m3 View Post
I bought my cpo 2010 e90 in 2012 because I knew the next gen would lose the V8. To me, that was key. The sounds the s65 makes as you rev it toward redline are amazing and thrilling. I don't care that the s55 is more powerful, torquier and more efficient because it sounds awful, inside or outside the cabin. That's the biggest deal breaker for me. A car of this caliber deserves much better.

I also prefer the more subtle but still muscular looks of the e90. The f80 isn't bad looking, but I do believe, like others have said, that it will age faster than previous generations. I never liked the hood and front end in general. The power dome looks like it doesn't belong there, there's the ugly cut line at the front and the bumper design is overdone. The rear is a bit better, but I still don't like the bumper design. All in all, too much boy racer for my tastes. I can look at the e90 from any angle and it never offends my eyes.

It also happens that I prefer the interior of the e90. I sat in a full leather f80 at my dealership and wasn't impressed. Some things (climate and radio controls, headliner, door panels, center armrest) feel cheaper than before. The dashboard has too many joints, cut lines and angles and looks too busy. e90 interior design flows better imo. Chassis wise, my slightly modded e90 is more than good enough for me since I don't track my car. With the awful roads we have around here, I prefer having a rubber isolated rear subframe for better ride quality and less noise.

To each their own. Buy the car that makes you feel the best and enjoy it. If it's the f8x, good for you. If it's the e9x, I understand!

Thank you for pretty much summarizing all my thoughts about both cars in one post. Having way too much fun taking the E90 to the next level to pay much attention to a car that has to pump exhaust notes through the speakers. That was a complete deal breaker for me and unfortunately sums up what BMW M has sacrificed to placate shareholders and the green agenda.

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #233
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:

feel the same way. The prefer the interior of the E90.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #234
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I've had my car for a few months now and really enjoy it. It's my first BMW, and therefore, also my first M car. I have no regrets on the purchase at this point, but I was also not in the market for an M3/4 as I can't afford a new one. Do I wish I kept my previous car until the F80 became cheap enough for me to afford? Not really. I love the new M4--especially when tastefully modded. And as everyone has pointed out, they are fast stock and don't take much to make a lot faster. And heck, the newer version of a great car always has some unique appeal to it.

And yet, here I am, still with no intention or future plan to "upgrade". I like the idea of a high revving NA V8, which seems a bit more performance oriented than a lower revving turbo 6 cyl. I think from a reliability perspective, there are just more to go wrong with a turbo car---and frankly, BMW doesn't have the best track record of reliability with the turbo 6's. Now maybe they finally got it right. Maybe they didn't. I wouldn't want to take the chance. In my very small world, I like a lot of different types of cars. I'm passing through the world of BMWs at the moment and feel that the e9x M3 is the best representation of the traditional M approach to cars.

If/when the time comes to move on to something else, I don't see it being to another BMW---unless the perfect z3 or Z4-based M coupe literally falls into my lap. If I get to the point where I can afford a ~$65k car, I think I'd rather go for a used Porsche or even go for a C7 vette with the z51 package.

I'm not angry that BMW switched their approach to the M3/4, but at the same time, the package they have out now isn't overly compelling for me. The speed is nice, but I'm a driver not a racer, so I think the e9x chassis fits my automotive wants a little better.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #235
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

I drove my buddy's F80, definitely faster and corners better than the E90. But the engine just felt like a big N55, lost a lot of the magic of the S65
      08-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #236
RG m3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Thank you for pretty much summarizing all my thoughts about both cars in one post. Having way too much fun taking the E90 to the next level to pay much attention to a car that has to pump exhaust notes through the speakers. That was a complete deal breaker for me and unfortunately sums up what BMW M has sacrificed to placate shareholders and the green agenda.
I completely agree with the shareholders and green agenda comments. It sucks that it is this way. Unfortunately for us, BMW has shifted its focus from the letter m to the letter i.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #237
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG m3
Quote:
I completely agree with the shareholders and green agenda comments. It sucks that it is this way. Unfortunately for us, BMW has shifted its focus from the letter m to the letter i.
They don't have a choice. There's also arguably a connection between EPA restrictions and bearing failures (no more lead). It's impacting everything. Better start getting excited about batteries and autonomous cars that drive themselves instead of behaving like a nut job behind your N/A V8. Green is good tho right.

BMW's tag line change from ultimate driving machine to efficient dynamics sums it up. We were warned.

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #238
RG m3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They don't have a choice. There's also arguably a connection between EPA restrictions and bearing failures (no more lead). It's impacting everything. Better start getting excited about batteries and autonomous cars that drive themselves instead of behaving like a nut job behind your N/A V8. Green is good tho right.

BMW's tag line change from ultimate driving machine to efficient dynamics sums it up. We were warned.
It is true that we were warned. Although I am not a diehard greenie, I'm not against trying to minimize the impact that we have on the environment either. My rationale is that BMW sells enough fuel efficient models in huge numbers to offset thirstier m models. Imo, m cars don't need to follow the same philosophy as regular models. With the comparatively small number of m cars they sell, it amounts to a drop of water in the ocean. That's the way I see it.

No need to worry, I don't drive my n/a V8 like a nut job!
Fabspeed Maxflo rear section|Dinan suspension/camber plates|Gunmetal RAC RG63's| BPMSport stage 1 tune| UUC ssk/dssr| TMS black aluminum pedals| BMW edition front grilles| CarboProject cf plenum| UCP clutch pedal
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #239
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
So glad I bought a 2013 spec'd perfectly. I had no idea the new one would be so unpleasant to me. One of my business partners has one. He used to have an e90 and he's kicking himself now. We drive in his and all we do is find complaints comparing it to the predecessor.

I'm actually paranoid to drive my e92 now fearing that some f*ck may crash into it. I can't replace it they way it's spec'd/built. I never drive it if I have to leave it unattended or if I'm going anywhere if there's a possibility of traffic.

Doing bearings, subframe and diff bushings and ice tank all next week. And then not drive it
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #240
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB GLS550; 2016 RR HSE

I think the F80 M3/4 is like the E60 M5.

Jesus Saves.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:29 AM   #241
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
i'd rather not have my car go into limp mode after a few laps at the track because of jb4.
      08-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #242
Strokeyguy
Banned
Rep
Drives: Dinan E92 ZCP M3

Quote:
I knew the next gen would lose the V8. To me, that was key. The sounds the s65 makes as you rev it toward redline are amazing and thrilling. I don't care that the s55 is more powerful, torquier and more efficient because it sounds awful, inside or outside the cabin. That's the biggest deal breaker for me. A car of this caliber deserves much better.

I also prefer the more subtle but still muscular looks of the e90. The f80 isn't bad looking, but I do believe, like others have said, that it will age faster than previous generations. I never liked the hood and front end in general. The power dome looks like it doesn't belong there, there's the ugly cut line at the front and the bumper design is overdone. The rear is a bit better, but I still don't like the bumper design. All in all, too much boy racer for my tastes. I can look at the e90 from any angle and it never offends my eyes...
I agree also.

the f8x M3/4 is a m435i.
Proof is that if bmw had put a m435i badge on a car equipped with the S55 engine (f8x so called 'm' engine) but without the chassis, it would have passed easy like a letter in the mail, made perfect sense. And then they would have put something similar to a 991 GT3 RS 4.0L NA engine with 500 hp in the M4 and many of us would have chosen that car. But as it is, that car does not exist and what we have is a place filler pseudo m car. Like in an opera you have the superstar singer and if he falls sick, then the production cannot cancel the show, as ticket will be bought no matter what, and so there is a substitute singer. There comes the F8x a M chassis with a i engine. They did not stop there they did not do well with the looks either which is more of a hit or miss. I do agree it will age very quickly unlike the e9x which has the right proportions and lines continuity for classic sport car appeal.

Where the f8x might look a tad more aggressive due to its wider track it lacks the class of the e9x
It is the most odd thing to compare two cars that have very little in common except the marketing badge.
A bespoke engine versus a generic engine (13 other bmw models use very very nearly the same 3.0L i6 block, same bore, same stroke as the S55).
A racing ala Ferrari sounding engine in oem version versus something that really struggles to sound barely 'acceptable' for that price tag with a modded exhaust. An engine that is fun linearly versus one that has no use for revving higher than 5K with more of a ON/OFF acceleration style. You are basically buying a rebranded mitsubishi turbo. They also copied the GT-R engine block plasma coating. It's being done by the same contractor company that coats the GT-R block. Nothing bmw there, their design team is running after nissan behind closed doors. And they're not closing the gap at all.

I can predict that when the f8x will end production. It will we swept off and forgotten in no time, at which point, i can see the bespoke NA V8 4.0 M3 gaining more popularity than the f8x M4/3. Just like wines there are good years and bad years. It's no coincidence that when bmw was making critical decisions about the f8x m4/3 in 2009 we had the worst financial crisis for some time. They had to cut production costs, not with the chassis, but with that i engine and sourced cheaper oem parts manufacturer for the interior and amortized their CF parts production plant. Very happy with my 4.0 liter V8 E92.

Last edited by Strokeyguy; 09-01-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 1