BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

11-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiblanor View Post
Any close up shots of the fender, hood or even bumper vents by chance? Do they wrap it through/in and around? or is it just cut up close to the edge like most film bras? Just wondering if the Premier install offers a bit better look for areas like this...
depends on what you want to pay... premier's custom package has them wrapping through/around... the cheaper precut wraps close to the edge. I can see some areas that were not wrapped around but close to the edge, but I was notified that would be the case ahead of time. There are some bubbles/water vapor still present, but I was notified also that it would take a week or so for that to evaporate as the film is porous and water use to apply the film will dry out. Thank goodness we live in dryer california vs a humid atlanta!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #24
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F000007 View Post
It would be great to see some photos of your cars! I've never seen you post any, if you end up having some time please do so.
I've had pics posted before, should be able to pull them up. Here are some pictures of my cars. It has been a while since I've taken any new pictures. In this market, it's my gals that are keeping me sane.

And of course my newly acquired RS. Even the value of these have taken a significant dip. Buyer's market.
Attached Images

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #25
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
its true... the BMW paints seem so damn soft.... quick detail lube + the best microfibers still will leave little scratches. It's sort of hopeless to think you can avoid scratching the paint if you at all touch it.
My Audi's even worse!

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #26
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F000007 View Post
They really look amazing, thanks a lot for posting these pics! Those cars are really something to cherish, I think that they bring you so much personal enjoyment and fulfilment that you really can't put a price tag on that.
Very true. In an economy that is the worst I've personally have ever experienced, it's my enthusiasm for fine automobile that keeps me mentally stable. I think everyone needs at least one hobby that helps isolate a fun moment albeit for an hour or for minutes. We all need that from time to time.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #27
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Won't the paint under the plastic coating eventually fade without regular wax applications if you use one of these products?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #28
boynbeagle7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

Nice pic. jerez black is a very rich and elegant color. can't even see the clear bra on your car. the swirls are an issue in sunlight but not as noticeable when it is cloudy.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #29
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: one old Mcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
Very true. In an economy that is the worst I've personally have ever experienced, it's my enthusiasm for fine automobile that keeps me mentally stable. I think everyone needs at least one hobby that helps isolate a fun moment albeit for an hour or for minutes. We all need that from time to time.
It's quite a hobby you have there!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #30
Great White
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 DCT AW/PS

Garage List
2000 M5 E39  [10.00]
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
2002 318i Compact  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaay11 View Post
Hey, just asked for a quote for tint and clear bra here in the Boston area. The guy at "X" shop told me he'd install Avery clear bra for $600 but would not recommend it on a dark car...like Jet or Jerez. I asked why and he stated it does not come out right and there are usually "bubbles." I mentioned I'd heard about the yellowish shade showing up on white cars and he stated that white cars are the best to receive the bra.

Can anyone substantiate this claim? Any pics out there of Jerez or Jet with clear bra? Thoughts? Thanks.
Hi Jaay
clearly the guy mixed up something I have an AW M3 and put on a clear bra on the whole front of the car for 2 reasons:

1. When Iīm driving in Germany (and thatīs mostly Autobahn) the stones that fly up are travelling at really high velocities towards the front and me travelling also at high Vīs 100- 160 mph means that your car is going to need good protection. So I have (depending on which area) 3 different types of 3M Trimline C-Bra on the car. The thickest is on the front bumber & the bonnet. Flanks are coated with thinner sheets and the rest in just dirt protective strips.

2. A paint job here is really EXPENSIVE ! and the car is brand new, so it was a must.
If you have the C-Bra on a white car youīll start to see it change colour after about 6 months depending on how & how often you clean the car.
The C-Bra can also be waxed in (something that a lot of people do not know) and it will keep the foil from turnung colour for a longer period. After 2-3 years you can rip if off as the foil can no longer deflect the UV rays and it will be yellow.

You most certainly not see this on a black car ! The only thing you might notice is that the surface might go matt after some time, depending also on the cleaning product thatīs why I wax it too.
Hope I could help.
      12-22-2008, 03:25 AM   #31
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Quote:
Good god man, that is one hell of a stable !!
      12-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #32
Naru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I've had pics posted before, should be able to pull them up. Here are some pictures of my cars. It has been a while since I've taken any new pictures. In this market, it's my gals that are keeping me sane.

And of course my newly acquired RS. Even the value of these have taken a significant dip. Buyer's market.
Good gracious those are some incredible cars.
Appreciate 0