BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
divadp17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 6mt

Need help with M Performance steering wheel

I installed the m performance les steering wheel using the instructions onfrom the manual and forums. When completed i started the engine to check if the les steering wheel would turn on but it didnt. The engine was running for couple of seconds than the engine shut down and the windshield wiper turned on and could not be turned off. I got a bunch of error codes p0000, p0025, p0192. On my dash it displays the edc being disabled, sos disabled, and maintenance logo would appear. The infotainment screen wont turn on, windows won’t roll down l, and my engine wont start. I’m going to check the connection again but I’m hoping nothing is seriously damages. I’ll upload pics later to show the installation but if anyone can give me some suggestions i’d highly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapdivad View Post
I installed the m performance les steering wheel using the instructions onfrom the manual and forums. When completed i started the engine to check if the les steering wheel would turn on but it didnt. The engine was running for couple of seconds than the engine shut down and the windshield wiper turned on and could not be turned off. I got a bunch of error codes p0000, p0025, p0192. On my dash it displays the edc being disabled, sos disabled, and maintenance logo would appear. The infotainment screen wont turn on, windows won’t roll down l, and my engine wont start. I’m going to check the connection again but I’m hoping nothing is seriously damages. I’ll upload pics later to show the installation but if anyone can give me some suggestions i’d highly appreciate it.
Sorry if this is a rudimentary first question, but did you press both the Left and Right buttons to turn it on after starting the engine?

- Also, there is a quirk with the wheel, in that it won't turn on if the surface temperature of the wheel is too hot (manual says it's 140 F). I've had it if the vehicle is parked outside in hot sun ...it wont turn on. What you'll see is one bar lights flash on the steering wheel.....but after 5-10 min. of AC in the cabin, the display will turn on.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

You need ISTA fault codes.

Generic P value codes are useless with BMWs. BMW has actually made their diagnostic software, so other companies cannot duplicate troubleshooting. In a lot of cases, generic OBD scanners will give the exact opposite bank/ trouble code than what it should be giving.

With that said. Please be careful. And do not let anything tell you what’s wrong with your vehicle, with the only exception being ISTA/ BMW dealer diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I do not know if it will help you, but I had an issue of the non-electronic alcantara wheel.

I must have squeezed a wire when I first installed it. An up gear change caused the horn to play.

Any chance you have some wires bend/squeezed around the airbag in a way they shouldn't?

........just using my issue to potentially help you
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

You definitely wired the switch unit wrong
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
divadp17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Sorry if this is a rudimentary first question, but did you press both the Left and Right buttons to turn it on after starting the engine?

- Also, there is a quirk with the wheel, in that it won't turn on if the surface temperature of the wheel is too hot (manual says it's 140 F). I've had it if the vehicle is parked outside in hot sun ...it wont turn on. What you'll see is one bar lights flash on the steering wheel.....but after 5-10 min. of AC in the cabin, the display will turn on.
Yes i tried that and my wheel didn’t power up so i’m assuming the issue must be with the wiring
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
divadp17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
You definitely wired the switch unit wrong
Most likely it has to be the wiring. Can anyone confirm if this wiring is correct or not in these pics?
Attached Images

Last edited by divadp17; 08-05-2019 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

What was the order in which you put those pins into the white connector for the switch unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:33 PM   #9
divadp17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
What was the order in which you put those pins into the white connector for the switch unit?

https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...lectric_v2.pdf

In the order from this instruction

Last edited by divadp17; 08-09-2019 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
divadp17
Private First Class
Rep

Ok so I figured out it was a wiring issue.
Good news is the steering wheel works, my car starts without an issue, but now the car is showing different alerts.

I've heard that I need to calibrate the steering wheel due to the new clock spring for the PSW which is why the DSC and DBC malfunction appears.
But I did the basic calibration by steering the wheel all the way to the left and right but it didn't resolve the issue.

Also the temperature is always reading -40 degree so I'm not sure if that is the reason why its showing increased emissions?

Restraint system malfunction probably has to due with my wiring?

Sorry about the pics not sure why its coming out sideways...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapdivad View Post
Ok so I figured out it was a wiring issue.
Good news is the steering wheel works, my car starts without an issue, but now the car is showing different alerts.

I've heard that I need to calibrate the steering wheel due to the new clock spring for the PSW which is why the DSC and DBC malfunction appears.
But I did the basic calibration by steering the wheel all the way to the left and right but it didn't resolve the issue.

Also the temperature is always reading -40 degree so I'm not sure if that is the reason why its showing increased emissions?

Restraint system malfunction probably has to due with my wiring?

Sorry about the pics not sure why its coming out sideways...
You need ISTA or a scanner tool like Foxwell to do the steering angle reset/calibration. Just turning the wheel Left to Right will not reset the clock spring.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
divadp17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
You need ISTA or a scanner tool like Foxwell to do the steering angle reset/calibration. Just turning the wheel Left to Right will not reset the clock spring.
Thank you this worked!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
I must have squeezed a wire when I first installed it. An up gear change caused the horn to play.
Picturing this made LOL.
Appreciate 0