BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #89
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

How is this a 4page thread when switching fuel solves the problem
      07-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #90
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
How is this a 4page thread when switching fuel solves the problem
Lol. Yeah.

Thing is,94 is not always available AND this has not always happened when using 91.

And I have OCD.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #91
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Group 49 is interchangeable with H8.

H8 was the exact same thing as the OEM
I have read that the battery can be either Group 94R or Group 49. I will have to look and see which battery is in my M3.

EDIT: battery is part number 61212353810 720CCA 90AH. It is over 13" long so I am pretty sure it is an H8/49 style. Crappy Tire has them in stock (UltraAGM M8). Likely pick one up this eve and swap it out. It is a real PITA trying to figure out BMW's part numbers for this battery. Grr - if you try to figure out the BMW part number for the M3 now, it is tedious. This is as close as I could get after a trip down the rabbit hole: 61217586962 and this is the NON-AGM version. Not sure why I wasted my time but meh, nothing better to do.

Cheers,
Told you lol - just call the dealer if you want an OEM battery. Nothing wrong with the CT one though. 5 year warranty is pretty good
New crappy tire agm installed last night.

It starts, so at least I did not fuk that up... Group 49 batteries are heavy AF. Is this a sports car or a highway tractor?

Long journey. If nothing else, I have a new battery now.

Cheers,

Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      08-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #92
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Well, new battery did absolutely nothing for the Shell 91 pre-det. But it is a new battery and it was about time anyway. Got 9+ years out of the factory battery - it owes me nothing.

Still at a loss here but I will continue to think on it...

Chevron 94 it is for a while though.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #93
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Well, new battery did absolutely nothing for the Shell 91 pre-det. But it is a new battery and it was about time anyway. Got 9+ years out of the factory battery - it owes me nothing.

Still at a loss here but I will continue to think on it...

Chevron 94 it is for a while though.
Not much of a price difference between Shell 91 and Chevron 94. At least on the mainland. Its usually about 2-3 cents every time I've seen it.
      08-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #94
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Have you tried using chevron Techron (the concentrate) to clean things up? Not sure if you daily the car but I also find that long weekend drives do wonders for me. Had the same experience in my old E46, these engines need to be warmed up and spun out every once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #95
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post
Have you tried using chevron Techron (the concentrate) to clean things up? Not sure if you daily the car but I also find that long weekend drives do wonders for me. Had the same experience in my old E46, these engines need to be warmed up and spun out every once in a while.
Not available in Canada.
      08-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #96
m3jala
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not available in Canada.
Talking about this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Chevron-67740-.../dp/B000CCOL3I
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #97
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not available in Canada.
Talking about this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Chevron-67740-.../dp/B000CCOL3I
I know, you can get it from Amazon only. No one else to my knowledge carries in store
      08-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #98
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I cleaned my injectors with carb cleaner when they were out, and I used other injectors. So, i am pretty sure it is not the injectors.

And once again, Shell gas pings. Add a cheap STP octane boost and problem solved, Or use Chevron 94...

FML

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #99
m3jala
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I cleaned my injectors with carb cleaner when they were out, and I used other injectors. So, i am pretty sure it is not the injectors.

And once again, Shell gas pings. Add a cheap STP octane boost and problem solved, Or use Chevron 94...

FML
The fact stp works for you tells me the issue is the gas nothing to do with your car. Like I said my experience is that Bmw engines are just sensitive. I had pinging on my 17k mile m3 when I bought it pumping Virginia 93 gas. 17k miles. 93 metropolis suburb crap gas. I haven't tried the below but I would look into torco over stp. Dump half a bottle every second fill-up is what I would experiment with and I personally wouldn't look back once I got the formula working. Get your car in shape and enjoy the v8!

https://www.amazon.com/Torco-F500010.../dp/B07BC9N77K
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2620.50
      08-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #100
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FML
The fact stp works for you tells me the issue is the gas nothing to do with your car. Like I said my experience is that Bmw engines are just sensitive. I had pinging on my 17k mile m3 when I bought it pumping Virginia 93 gas. 17k miles. 93 metropolis suburb crap gas. I haven't tried the below but I would look into torco over stp. Dump half a bottle every second fill-up is what I would experiment with and I personally wouldn't look back once I got the formula working. Get your car in shape and enjoy the v8!

Torco and any additive using MMT reduces pre ignition and effectively increase octane, but there are side affects. The MMT leaves deposits on pistons, valves and cats. I've read research papers on this and it unfortunately does leave deposits.

I recently read bmw tech documents for the s58 engine and it said not to use fuels with metallic additives (MMT).

In terms of Hp production, MMT does not really add much. A hot rod magazine test in the early 2000s showed tiny hp gains on high compression using octane boost on 87 octane and small Hp loss on octane boost with 91 octane. 100 octane was better and 110 leader even better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hot...omparison/amp/
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:46 PM   #101
m3jala
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FML

Torco and any additive using MMT reduces pre ignition and effectively increase octane, but there are side affects. The MMT leaves deposits on pistons, valves and cats. I've read research papers on this and it unfortunately does leave deposits.

I recently read bmw tech documents for the s58 engine and it said not to use fuels with metallic additives (MMT).

In terms of Hp production, MMT does not really add much. A hot rod magazine test in the early 2000s showed tiny hp gains on high compression using octane boost on 87 octane and small Hp loss on octane boost with 91 octane. 100 octane was better and 110 leader even better.

Yep I saw that as well. It's the reason I would attempt to address the issue with Techron first (a clean to improve efficiency of ignition not just for injectors but the valves and heads as opposed to a bandaid of upping the octane). At least for me, combination of Techron and taking the car out for long highway drives every couple weeks has done wonders for me on two generations of Bmw engine while my wife's vw takes any sh* gas you throw at it. My experience anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #102
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FML

Yep I saw that as well. It's the reason I would attempt to address the issue with Techron first (a clean to improve efficiency of ignition not just for injectors but the valves and heads as opposed to a bandaid of upping the octane). At least for me, combination of Techron and taking the car out for long highway drives every couple weeks has done wonders for me on two generations of Bmw engine while my wife's vw takes any sh* gas you throw at it. My experience anyway.
Yes. The Techron additive is effective to remove carbon deposits on the pistons to help eliminate hot spots which can cause detonation.

And yes can keep the intake track clean too. It is less effective on intake valves with direct injection, because fuel does not through the intake valve.

At minimum choose a top tier rated fuel. Most major brands are top tier.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #103
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
So I chased this problem for a while. I replaced the following that did nothing:

Plugs (old ones had 20K km on them)
Low pressure fuel sensor (by strut tower)
Rear O2s (did not mean to, one was stripped when I inspected them)
Injectors (used but flow calibrated)

None of the above helped.

Recently, I bought a new RKP x-pipe. I thought, what the hell, lets change out the front O2 sensors when installing the x-pipe. So that is what I did.

Nothing is for sure yet, but initial results are positive that the pre-det issue is greatly reduced. Also, I seem to be getting much better gas mileage (same kind of driving - if not more aggressive) on the first full tank of fuel that I have run with the new O2 sensors and x-pipe. I typically average 23L/100km (it is terrible). Last fill was 20L/100km and half the kms were with the new x-pipe and, well, aggressive driving to test This current tank seems to be using a lot less fuel than it has been. Here is hoping that, along with the pre-det issues going away, that I also get better mileage

Cheers,

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #104
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I chased this problem for a while. I replaced the following that did nothing:

Plugs (old ones had 20K km on them)
Low pressure fuel sensor (by strut tower)
Rear O2s (did not mean to, one was stripped when I inspected them)
Injectors (used but flow calibrated)

None of the above helped.

Recently, I bought a new RKP x-pipe. I thought, what the hell, lets change out the front O2 sensors when installing the x-pipe. So that is what I did.

Nothing is for sure yet, but initial results are positive that the pre-det issue is greatly reduced. Also, I seem to be getting much better gas mileage (same kind of driving - if not more aggressive) on the first full tank of fuel that I have run with the new O2 sensors and x-pipe. I typically average 23L/100km (it is terrible). Last fill was 20L/100km and half the kms were with the new x-pipe and, well, aggressive driving to test This current tank seems to be using a lot less fuel than it has been. Here is hoping that, along with the pre-det issues going away, that I also get better mileage

Cheers,
Rear O2s were for monitoring anyways, PreCAT were the ones to inspect
      10-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #105
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Rear O2s were for monitoring anyways, PreCAT were the ones to inspect
Yeah, I cleaned all 4 of them - one rear was stripped (old shop - grrrr) so I replaced both.

I drove "aggressively" today and I have gone ~200km using 5/8 of a tank of fuel. Before the x-pipe and O2 changes I would be close to empty for sure. Car ran great through some awesome roads - mostly second gear stuff.

Fingers crossed that my M3 is back in business!!

Cheers,
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ItsGary1457.50
BayE301341.00
      10-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #106
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

i have experienced this with the two M3s i have had also, one with as little as 18,000 miles. I had a slight improvement with the detontation/pinging once i put the Dinan tune on that car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #107
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

i wish we could see knock retard, or spark advance, i have watched the max timing using carly app with my Alex alpine tune and seem to get 32 degrees at full throttle near redline but i would really like to know if the ecu is pullling timing when the noise is heard, so we could atleast narrow down the issue for good.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #108
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
So why am I so excited for this kind of mileage? I drove the car HARD this tank. Lots of 2nd gear twisty roads with a lot of full throttle.

To get this mileage while driving the car hard is just awesome. Plus no knocking.

Habit made me fill with chevron 94. Next tank I will try shell 91 to see if I get any knock. Bit of a journey...

Cheers,
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      10-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #109
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I wonder if logging when it happens with http://**************.com/bmwlogger-2 will help figure out what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #110
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I wonder if logging when it happens with http://**************.com/bmwlogger-2 will help figure out what is happening.
Hmm, that is a neat website address

Appreciate 0