BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourwheeltrader View Post
To give you an example, I discussed my video of the 911 997 on a Porsche forum and they actually helped to gather data which explained why the cabriolets were holding their value so much better. I.e they helped to find explanations behind the data.

Apparently, this is too much to ask over here.
They must not have been enthusiasts if they were a bunch of convertible lovers. From what I have seen, 997 convertibles are the most common and lowest priced examples.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #24
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
US market is different than Europe. Imo the factors that will minimize depreciation are:
1 Low mileage
2 Maintenance completed with records
3 Low mileage
4 the right options with emphasis on performance over luxury. In the US that usually means CF roof over sunroof and ZCP over nonZCP. In US less can sell for more as in No Nav may be worth more than Nav cars down the road. 6MT may / will hold value better than DCT long term but maybe a wash because DCT is so good and now being sunset in next generation.
5 Low mileage - high mile BMWs just depreciate given maintenance carry costs

Just my thoughts OP
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #25
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 e92 AW/FR DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think e46 M3 is the next car that will appreciate in value in the next couple of years, until it achieves legendary status. In 10 years the same will happen with the e92/90 M3, so in around 15 years, 2034, after the world has started going electric hard and smaller engines dominate the world. e9x will be the classic muscle euro car that shouldn't have been, kinda like the pre-1970s US muscle cars, there's plenty of them, but having one in great shape with little usage will bring up the price significantly.

My car has surprised me with the amount of "new" technology that I see mentioned nowadays in new lambos and ferraris - to imagine we have almost the same thing, but in a car from 10 years ago at a price significantly lower is kind of amazing. DCT is one of those technologies, for me it works great I can't tell the difference between 0.1 and 0.05 seconds when switching gears manually.

Then there's things like rev matching, a dynamic rev limiter, high revving engine, stock headers that may be too perfect for their own good, adjustable traction control, seat belt butler, amazing audio system, minimal electronic stuff, not to mention digital stuff.

So the car straddles the edge of 2 different eras of cars and does so nicely - obviously the parts are not the most reliable and these cars will become expensive classics to own, but that will probably just up their value even more.
Appreciate 2
MahiC88.00
      04-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #26
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
they're all old naive men on the Porsche forums they don't know any better..
The trend is an older crowd on the Porsche forums (as compared to here) but they're anything but naive. They definitely don't obsess over values and depreciation like this forum does, most likely because they don't need to worry about it and not because they don't know any better.
      04-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #27
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Quote:
The trend is an older crowd on the Porsche forums (as compared to here) but they're anything but naive. They definitely don't obsess over values and depreciation like this forum does, most likely because they don't need to worry about it and not because they don't know any better.
You missed the context, I called @op a clickbaiter and op responded by saying the Porsche forum were open and susceptive to talk about the values of their cars. I'm saying the older Porsche forum are oblivious to the fact that op is just trying to get views, followers and comments for his yt vids. I said it half heartily but according to OP they are more open to discuss the values of their cars then we are over here. I actually think over here the only people who seem to care about their cars value are sedan drivers and maybe individual car owners for sedan or coupes. Vert and black coupe owners definitely dgaf, and if they do they shouldn't.
      04-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #28
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You missed the context, I called @op a clickbaiter and op responded by saying the Porsche forum were open and susceptive to talk about the values of their cars. I'm saying the older Porsche forum are oblivious to the fact that op is just trying to get views, followers and comments for his yt vids. I said it half heartily but according to OP they are more open to discuss the values of their cars then we are over here. I actually think over here the only people who seem to care about their cars value are sedan drivers and maybe individual car owners for sedan or coupes. Vert and black coupe owners definitely dgaf, and if they do they shouldn't.
I think you're giving the OP too much credit considering what we've seen of him--he has no more experience in the Porsche forums than he does here, and I guess your old/naive assumption bugged me a bit because they didn't exactly roll out the red carpet for him on Rennlist, either.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-analysis.html
      04-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #29
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
individual spec with Manual Trans will be worth more in Vert, Coupe or sedan... most were ordered in DCT and standard grey white black red or blue. I understand why, It was already an expensive car and the main thing was it came with the s65 engine. but, they ain't turning heads like an individual order, special order colors put the car on a different level. Top down, your DCT coupe or sedan ain't coming close to the experience of the Vert in the summer.

the sedan and coupe snobbery factor is high here, mainly because reality is, they're all either alpine white grey or black and are showing their age with all the botched mods and screwed up stance suspensions.

Order of value imo...
1 special editions
2 individual special orders - normally more rare than the 1-150 special editions.

3 manual trans basic options

4 everything else... Alpine white, Grey

Dustbin - smashed up cars, repainted cars, sweaty interiors
Appreciate 2
SAMM3Y3085.00
      04-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #30
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Haha! LuckiSevens that was too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel..
Attached Images

04-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #31
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha! LuckiSevens that was too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel..
Yeah you were looking for it weren't you 😆
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      04-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #32
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

I really think everyone should relax about depreciation considering these cars sell between 18-40k on the high end. (Not counting Lime Rocks)

People drive around in $60k Ford F150s.

It's a car. Drive it. After maintenance, insurance, and mods it'll end up being a shitty place to have parked your money if you don't enjoy it.
Appreciate 3
Ngilbe361618.50
dpsb65.50
      04-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #33
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
I really think everyone should relax about depreciation considering these cars sell between 18-40k on the high end. (Not counting Lime Rocks)

It's a car. Drive it. After maintenance, insurance, and mods it'll end up being a shitty place to have parked your money if you don't enjoy it.
The really funny thing is that you can buy a $60k F150 Raptor and it will hold its value better than a E9x M3 ever has. The current-gen starts at $57k and with 50-100k miles, they still go for $50k+.
      04-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #34
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourwheeltrader View Post
This is not a clickbait post. I made this analysis purely from a data perspective. Consequently, the explanations I find for the patterns might not be the correct ones or I might be missing certain categorizations. Of course, I read up on the car before I make a video, but I'm sure that the people over here have an expertise level way above that.

To give you an example, I discussed my video of the 911 997 on a Porsche forum and they actually helped to gather data which explained why the cabriolets were holding their value so much better. I.e they helped to find explanations behind the data.

Apparently, this is too much to ask over here.
It is too much ask coming from an obvious click baiter. Come on, you have no history here and want to start a discussion with your lead in being a YouTube video? All you ask from us has been laid out and smoothed over so many times. You'd know this if 1) you spent time here or even just 2) search. If what you find here was different from what you report in your video, would you take down the original video and repost an edited updated version? Or just ignore it and review the next brand and post a video on their forum - rinse repeat?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #35
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
The really funny thing is that you can buy a $60k F150 Raptor and it will hold its value better than a E9x M3 ever has. The current-gen starts at $57k and with 50-100k miles, they still go for $50k+.
Lol i was literally going to write ...."except raptors, those things are depreciation proof!"

Not sure why the Raptors hold value like that...why not just buy new? Gotta think that if you have 50k for a used one you have 57k for a new one.

You can spec a Platinum F150 for over $70k. That seems like a sure fire way to lose a lot of money. And yea builders and contractors write them off but still....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #36
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lol i was literally going to write ...."except raptors, those things are depreciation proof!"

Not sure why the Raptors hold value like that...why not just buy new? Gotta think that if you have 50k for a used one you have 57k for a new one.
There's a '17 with 43k miles at a local dealer I was going to check out for $50k, then I realized it had cloth seats, manual HVAC, etc--a total base model. There's only a handful on Autotrader for less than $50k, and most have 70-90k miles. Crazy.

Quote:
You can spec a Platinum F150 for over $70k. That seems like a sure fire way to lose a lot of money. And yea builders and contractors write them off but still....
Yep, I actually traded a '15 F150 Lariat in on my M3 and X3. The truck stickered for $59k back then, and they still offered the King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited trims above that. I had a pretty nice vehicle allowance at the time and needed a truck, but I don't know who these people are that trade them in every 1-2 years.
      04-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #37
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

B/c Americans love all that raw plastic and green dash lights - defeat depreciation by increasing wheel size every few months and growing beard
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #38
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

I think it'll be another 5 years or so before value appreciates a bit. E46 M3 is the hottest thing right now though.
      04-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #39
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiSevens View Post
B/c Americans love all that raw plastic and green dash lights - defeat depreciation by increasing wheel size every few months and growing beard
To be fair, my F150 had a much more advanced cluster setup than a brand new M-car--with an 8" screen and digital gauges--and the interior definitely looked less plasticky than my wife's X3.
      04-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #40
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There's a '17 with 43k miles at a local dealer I was going to check out for $50k, then I realized it had cloth seats, manual HVAC, etc--a total base model. There's only a handful on Autotrader for less than $50k, and most have 70-90k miles. Crazy.

Quote:
Yep, I actually traded a '15 F150 Lariat in on my M3 and X3. The truck stickered for $59k back then, and they still offered the King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited trims above that. I had a pretty nice vehicle allowance at the time and needed a truck, but I don't know who these people are that trade them in every 1-2 years.
Guy in a brand new blue Raptor just tried to overtake me, so I didn't bother changing gear just left it in fourth and squeezed the throttle a bit... he was making lots of noise I'll give him that lolz
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #41
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

I don't foresee much appreciation, our cars weren't built in small enough quantities. Some low mileage, special editions will always demand a bit more...that's about it.

Throw in the "opportunity costs" (purchase price, taxes, operating costs, etc.) that could otherwise have been invested and appreciated we are never going to break even much less make money.

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em gals and boys...the last suits we'll ever wear won't have any pockets...as the saying goes.
Appreciate 4
Ab28592.50
tooloud10754.50
zipper228201.50
Eja144303.00
      04-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #42
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
I think it'll be another 5 years or so before value appreciates a bit. E46 M3 is the hottest thing right now though.
Yep getting harder to find sorted ones and on top of that they have their own set of issues (subframe cracks being one).
Appreciate 0