BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #133
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Anyone know where these M235i Racing wings come from and if they might work on our cars?

I think someone is selling one in the classified section but he's in Germany
      08-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #134
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Anyone know where these M235i Racing wings come from and if they might work on our cars?

Lukester obtains them in Germany. I have been told he is a legit guy and sells good stuff.

The gt4 mk2 wing looks amazing.
      08-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #135
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

APR bumper spats came today. I was slightly worried they were fakes based on the deal I got, but the APR packing tape, quality of appearance, packaging, rigidity, and fit- I'd say this is a win!
Attached Images

08-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #136
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Lukester obtains them in Germany. I have been told he is a legit guy and sells good stuff.

The gt4 mk2 wing looks amazing.
lukester used to post on here more often. that guy is a beast on the ring. couple of people i know ordered gt4 stuff from him (gt4 for m3).
      08-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #137
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Another option - IND - BMW Motorports M235i Racing Wing

So lukester's GT4 mk2 wing, the Team Schirmer M2 wing, and this M235i Racing wing all look similar but do have some differences, in the mounts, winglets, etc. And to be clear I like them all!

I guess the GT4 mk2 was made specifically for our cars so perhaps that is the best bet. Curious what the reasoning is for the different mounts and other variations though.
      08-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #138
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Dang it. E92 can fit but looking at the trunk of e90 there's no way I can fit reinforcement plates.
      08-31-2017, 10:34 PM   #139
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Dang it. E92 can fit but looking at the trunk of e90 there's no way I can fit reinforcement plates.
Dogbone has been running a serious wing forever without issues. What are you worried about?
      09-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #140
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Dogbone has been running a serious wing forever without issues. What are you worried about?
His is e90 specific fitment.
      09-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #141
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Awesome! Helps confirm that the E90 trunk is plenty sturdy
Absolutely. I can say without any hesitation at all----the OEM E90 M3 trunk is plenty sturdy to deal with a 67" wing traveling at high speeds.

Is it as rigid as a true chassis mounted setup? Of course not. There's a bit of flex in there. But that doesn't stop it from being VERY VERY effective.
Dogbone,
I'm planning on getting a GT250 wing, but also looking to shed more pounds....carbon trunk.
Will this wing rip off a carbon fiber trunk? Your thoughts? Or just keep an Oem trunk?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #142
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The m24 guys do it, but I have yet to see the underside of one of their trunks.
      09-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #143
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The m24 guys do it, but I have yet to see the underside of one of their trunks.
10-4
Appreciate 1
bigjae19761578.00
      09-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #144
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 white, long list

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
Dogbone,
I'm planning on getting a GT250 wing, but also looking to shed more pounds....carbon trunk.
Will this wing rip off a carbon fiber trunk? Your thoughts? Or just keep an Oem trunk?
I've seen several people with carbon trunk and wing mounted to it, Bimmerworld is one of them , no problem. Make sure that the trunk section you mount the wing to is getting support from the closing body lid underneath.
You could use a longer supporting flat bracket underneath wing bracket to spread the drag load.
I haven't done that and rather need to shed weight from the front.
      09-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #145
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob66 View Post
Quote:
Dogbone,
I've seen several people with carbon trunk and wing mounted to it, Bimmerworld is one of them , no problem. Make sure that the trunk section you mount the wing to is getting support from the closing body lid underneath.
You could use a longer supporting flat bracket underneath wing bracket to spread the drag load.
I haven't done that and rather need to shed weight from the front.
Left this question for Ortho, but maybe you can chime in considering you have the knowledge as well...... The GT250 wing, Which size are you guys running? I just installed bimmerworld canards to my GT4 lip. Was wondering which size to look into that will work with the front end I am currently running.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #146
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Dogbone,
I don't have a carbon trunk. I guess it all depends on how the trunk is made and how it's reinforced. It would need some pretty solid reinforcement if you wanted it to last a long time. Also, the size of the wing is important. If it's a 70" GTC-300 wing, I would have more concerns than a smallish wing.

Performance parts can be awesome because they enhance a car, but some of these things may not last long before failing. The question comes down to how much you care. If you want top performance, then you deal with replacing stuff. If you don't want to be replacing things that break all the time, you run less fancy stuff that's more reliable.

Carbon is a funky material---light and strong, but sometimes I wonder about it's longevity. I had an expensive road bicycle frame made from carbon that cracked under normal use. And you hear about examples like Trinity Autosport's carbon drive shaft that failed on track. (yikes) And now there are carbon wheels.....can you imagine plowing a berm at Buttonwillow with a carbon wheel? Not me.

I guess my thought on this is that most carbon trunks for an M3 are probably not made to deal with the hundreds of pounds of forces that wings would subject them to. I would argue that a real race car would mount a wing directly to the chassis, so why would race companies go through much effort to make super strong carbon trunks?

Plus you have to worry about drilling a random carbon trunk to fit a random wing with it's own mounting feet setup. Is the trunk strong in the right places? That doesn't excite me at all. And then you would have feet pressing down on the top of the trunk. Is the wing going to have mounting feet appropriate for a carbon surface? In the long run, I would worry about the surface of the carbon cracking with a large wing.

Again, I'm mostly thinking about this from a longevity standpoint. Obviously, you could slap a wing on a carbon trunk. It'll work. How long would it last? Unknown. I have a carbon APR wing. How long will that last? Who knows......at least the wing was created knowing that it was going to see heavy dynamic forces. I doubt you could say the same thing for a carbon trunk.

Anyway, I decided to stay with the OEM trunk. It's been proven strong and it lasts a long time. There are plenty of other places to lose weight in the car.

Last edited by dogbone; 09-02-2017 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #147
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The GT250 wing, Which size are you guys running? I just installed bimmerworld canards to my GT4 lip. Was wondering which size to look into that will work with the front end I am currently running.
I'm running 67" on my GT-250. Racewerkz Engineering recommended that size. I like it, but it definitely needs front aero.

I ran the GT-250 without front aero for awhile and the car understeered like crazy on rounders above 80mph.

From your picture, you have some decent aero upfront. My guess is that you could run a similar size.

Forums are fine, but I would maybe talk to a shop like Racewerkz to get their opinion. They have setup a lot of these wings on this specific model M3, and they have a very good relationship with APR, so they know the product well.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #148
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The GT250 wing, Which size are you guys running? I just installed bimmerworld canards to my GT4 lip. Was wondering which size to look into that will work with the front end I am currently running.
I'm running 67" on my GT-250. Racewerkz Engineering recommended that size. I like it, but it definitely needs front aero.

I ran the GT-250 without front aero for awhile and the car understeered like crazy on rounders above 80mph.

From your picture, you have some decent aero upfront. My guess is that you could run a similar size.

Forums are fine, but I would maybe talk to a shop like Racewerkz to get their opinion. They have setup a lot of these wings on this specific model M3, and they have a very good relationship with APR, so they know the product well.
Thanks man! Beautiful and all makes sense man. Thank you. It's tough where I am here NY... because so many mixed reviews. "Don't need a wing" ...."adjust your suspension"....."aero will slow you down"
From reading, my driving style, different tracks, using different slicks..sizes. I know I need proper aero ...especially for the rear.
I was holding off on ordering a carbon truck, a cheap eBay trunk but in the end....I really want to create something that will hold to the actual chassis of the car, not just a trunk. If I would get the carbon trunk...I would have to create a solid support mounting system but like you said...how's the quality of the carbon trunk and how long will it last? So next thought...carbon trunk but create a mounting system to the actual chassis, bracket support to an APR GT250 wing.
Considering I have another 9 weeks of tracking ...just may order the wing and mount the bitch to the oem trunk until I have time to be creative and tinker over the winter.
Also...getting my SCCA Racing license and at this point I need to decide which class and car I will use for full wheel to wheel racing. My e36 or the e92.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #149
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks man! Beautiful and all makes sense man. Thank you. It's tough where I am here NY... because so many mixed reviews. "Don't need a wing" ...."adjust your suspension"....."aero will slow you down"
From reading, my driving style, different tracks, using different slicks..sizes. I know I need proper aero ...especially for the rear.
I was holding off on ordering a carbon truck, a cheap eBay trunk but in the end....I really want to create something that will hold to the actual chassis of the car, not just a trunk. If I would get the carbon trunk...I would have to create a solid support mounting system but like you said...how's the quality of the carbon trunk and how long will it last? So next thought...carbon trunk but create a mounting system to the actual chassis, bracket support to an APR GT250 wing.
Considering I have another 9 weeks of tracking ...just may order the wing and mount the bitch to the oem trunk until I have time to be creative and tinker over the winter.
Also...getting my SCCA Racing license and at this point I need to decide which class and car I will use for full wheel to wheel racing. My e36 or the e92.
Given your current situation, I would quickly mount the wing to the OEM trunk to get a taste for it before the season is over. See if you like what it offers. If you care about grip and lap times (which I'm assuming you do because you run slicks), you will love the wing. (If you like sliding a car around easily, you will hate the wing.)

Then, you can decide if you want to commit to a chassis mount. I'm betting you will want to. At that point, you have all winter to design it and do it, knowing that you will love it.

If you chassis mount the wing, then of course you go carbon fiber on the trunk without any issues.

Just keep in mind that I've been told that building a proper chassis mount for the wing adds enough weight, that with a carbon trunk, you will end up pretty much neutral on weight compared to the OEM trunk weight. Again, I have not experienced this, but this is what shops have said to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #150
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

my third trunk showed up at the house today. i bought a trunk a while back from a friend that was pre-drilled for an apr wing. i had plans to get it filled/painted, but it turned out to be as much as getting an oem painted trunk shipped.
so i found an oem space grey e92 trunk from another forum member a few months back and it arrived with both corners poking through the box and bent to hell.
i found one on ebay a few days ago and negotiated a shipped price that has been the best deal so far. its from an e92 328i (with the 328 badge still on). it was a "signature required" delivery and i was happy about that. so the fedex driver tries to get me to sign for it before he even gets the box out of the trunk. i politely declined until i opened the box to inspect the trunk. he sort of rolls his eyes and mumbles that he has other deliveries to do. whatever dewd, chill out for a minute.
so i pull this big box out of the trunk and onto my yard and spot a cut in the box where i would imagine one of the corners of the trunk to be... fml, right? so i open the box and it has these Styrofoam pads lining the entire box and 10,000,000 packing peanuts, half of which are all over my front yard. thankfully, the trunk was ok. it looks like it did poke through, but didn't hit anything. so- operation 'beef aero is going to be underway soon.
i think i'm going to practice on my spare trunks and then decide if i'm going to mount the wing myself or not.

also, in looking for hardware for mounting my spats, i found a cool website (ti64.com) that sells some specialty titanium hardware and it looks like they have the ability to make custom hardware. i'm not 100% sure if i'm going to spend $50 on titanium bolts for the spats just yet, but i do think this stuff is kinda fun.
      09-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #151
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
my third trunk showed up at the house today. i bought a trunk a while back from a friend that was pre-drilled for an apr wing. i had plans to get it filled/painted, but it turned out to be as much as getting an oem painted trunk shipped.
so i found an oem space grey e92 trunk from another forum member a few months back and it arrived with both corners poking through the box and bent to hell.
i found one on ebay a few days ago and negotiated a shipped price that has been the best deal so far. its from an e92 328i (with the 328 badge still on). it was a "signature required" delivery and i was happy about that. so the fedex driver tries to get me to sign for it before he even gets the box out of the trunk. i politely declined until i opened the box to inspect the trunk. he sort of rolls his eyes and mumbles that he has other deliveries to do. whatever dewd, chill out for a minute.
so i pull this big box out of the trunk and onto my yard and spot a cut in the box where i would imagine one of the corners of the trunk to be... fml, right? so i open the box and it has these Styrofoam pads lining the entire box and 10,000,000 packing peanuts, half of which are all over my front yard. thankfully, the trunk was ok. it looks like it did poke through, but didn't hit anything. so- operation 'beef aero is going to be underway soon.
i think i'm going to practice on my spare trunks and then decide if i'm going to mount the wing myself or not.

also, in looking for hardware for mounting my spats, i found a cool website (ti64.com) that sells some specialty titanium hardware and it looks like they have the ability to make custom hardware. i'm not 100% sure if i'm going to spend $50 on titanium bolts for the spats just yet, but i do think this stuff is kinda fun.
Shit, I would never buy a trunk from any forum members ..no offense to anyone..and have it shipped lol.. you are brave! But from a company obviously. Thanks for that website on the titanium hardware..I'll give it a check
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #152
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Given your current situation, I would quickly mount the wing to the OEM trunk to get a taste for it before the season is over. See if you like what it offers. If you care about grip and lap times (which I'm assuming you do because you run slicks), you will love the wing. (If you like sliding a car around easily, you will hate the wing.)

Then, you can decide if you want to commit to a chassis mount. I'm betting you will want to. At that point, you have all winter to design it and do it, knowing that you will love it.

If you chassis mount the wing, then of course you go carbon fiber on the trunk without any issues.

Just keep in mind that I've been told that building a proper chassis mount for the wing adds enough weight, that with a carbon trunk, you will end up pretty much neutral on weight compared to the OEM trunk weight. Again, I have not experienced this, but this is what shops have said to me.
Absolutely, I'm a madman in grip and feeling the g forces but when the ass comes out I do grin and lightly chuckle.
I love driving with slicks, traction completely off. Baby steps the last few weeks has led me to finally say ...."street tire's are not in store for me anymore". It really is another world being in sync with a machine you control. Epic feeling.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #153
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shit, I would never buy a trunk from any forum members ..no offense to anyone..and have it shipped lol.. you are brave! But from a company obviously. Thanks for that website on the titanium hardware..I'll give it a check
well, the seller is a good guy. trunk was in good shape. problem was, he took it to fedex and they packaged it. it was $200 for the trunk and $300 for packaging/shipping! problem was, the idiot at fedex that shipped it, put about a dozen of those foam bags loose in the box and the trunk was just rumbling around in there unsecured. still battling fedex for the refund. shit company.

i bought this other one for $400 shipped on ebay. best deal i've found so far. fiance was pissed.... there are three trunks in my garage right now and they are awkward to store.
      09-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #154
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
well, the seller is a good guy. trunk was in good shape. problem was, he took it to fedex and they packaged it. it was $200 for the trunk and $300 for packaging/shipping! problem was, the idiot at fedex that shipped it, put about a dozen of those foam bags loose in the box and the trunk was just rumbling around in there unsecured. still battling fedex for the refund. shit company.

i bought this other one for $400 shipped on ebay. best deal i've found so far. fiance was pissed.... there are three trunks in my garage right now and they are awkward to store.
Lmaooooo!!!
Setup a trunk with a bouquet of roses for her. Hopefully she'll dig that

Just found a $200 trunk on Craigslist local. Don't want to drill into my existing trunk that has a GTS wing already.
Appreciate 0