BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
RGS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 m3 (march 2012 ED)

2012 m3 crashed ins wont total it help!!!

I had an accident in my e92 with 5k on the clock.

it definitely needs the drivers side A pillar near the windshield sectioned in and replaced and another structural piece in the front drivers side and more possible damage to the firewall.

I know california doesn't have a total structural loss law and i'm not sure if i really want this car back. does anybody have any experience with this that may be able to suggest what i should do or if i do have to right to get this totaled if its unsafe.
      10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS View Post
I had an accident in my e92 with 5k on the clock.

it definitely needs the drivers side A pillar near the windshield sectioned in and replaced and another structural piece in the front drivers side and more possible damage to the firewall.

I know california doesn't have a total structural loss law and i'm not sure if i really want this car back. does anybody have any experience with this that may be able to suggest what i should do or if i do have to right to get this totaled if its unsafe.
They won't allow the car to be fixed unless it can be done without compromising safety. You won't be able to get it totaled just cause you don't want it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
RGS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
They won't allow the car to be fixed unless it can be done without compromising safety. You won't be able to get it totaled just cause you don't want it back.
the first shop said its not safe and they dont want to repair the car the ins company says only $$$ will total the car. and they had it moved to another shop
      10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
the first shop said its not safe and they dont want to repair the car the ins company says only $$$ will total the car
Doesn't sound right to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
RGS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Doesn't sound right to me.
some more info.

first shop was my choice. they did a small teardown and found what he believed to be a structural total. insurance disagrees says they believe it is safe to repair and the $35k estimate is not enough to total would need to be in the high $40-50k range to total.

it doesn't make sense this car has a pretty high salvage value why not total it sell it pay me the value and only pay out about 20k for this claim instead of 30-40k
      10-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
the first shop said its not safe and they dont want to repair the car the ins company says only $$$ will total the car. and they had it moved to another shop
you should have not let the insurance company move it ! you have the right to chose your repair facility
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
some more info.

first shop was my choice. they did a small teardown and found what he believed to be a structural total. insurance disagrees says they believe it is safe to repair and the $35k estimate is not enough to total would need to be in the high $40-50k range to total.

it doesn't make sense this car has a pretty high salvage value why not total it sell it pay me the value and only pay out about 20k for this claim instead of 30-40k
Totaling a car costs the insurance company more money than to fix it. If the adjuster deems it safe to repair, not much you can do except see how much you can fight and see if they change their tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

If you don't mind me asking, what on earth did you hit? Unfortunately, a 2012 w/ 5k on the odo is worth a shizload so getting it totaled won't be easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Aquariu///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
some more info.

I don't think what you're saying makes sense, if they total the car then they have to pay you or bank $60k+..if they sell the smashed up total car for $20k at auction then they still lost $40k from totaling it. That's why unless damage is almost the cost of the car blue book then they will fix it if possible. So to get a brand new M3 totalled the damage really has to be unrepairable or exceed $45-$50k in damages.
Appreciate 0