BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-27-2020, 03:55 AM   #23
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Lol don’t listen to people saying to go with OEM bearings. VAC or wait for BE and do it right the first time.
This is opinion. Don't mislead folks. Just replace them should be the mantra. What is used is really nothing more than debate. Claims have been made and nothing more when it comes to parts.
      09-27-2020, 04:02 AM   #24
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I will tell you after comparing both bearings the WPC bearing looked way better than the OEM bearings. The WPC set had almost triple the mileage too.
What's the recommended replacement mileage for BE or WPC bearings?
BE and WPC are totally different animals.

BE is designed to resolve the clearance issue.

WPC is an OE bearing that has been treated but does not resolve the clearance issue.

I do not plan on replacing my BE bearings.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I will tell you after comparing both bearings the WPC bearing looked way better than the OEM bearings. The WPC set had almost triple the mileage too.

WPC is an OE bearing that has been treated but does not resolve the clearance issue.

VAC, BE or WPC they all wear. Not one entity has done definitive testing that matters nor ends this parts debate. They all make claims and nothing more. Just know it's a service for an awesome motor and get past these debates. Once a manufacturer of the parts runs 3 cars equally on 3 sets of bearings multiple times.....I don't see reason for an allegiance to any of'em:
      09-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #25
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
There is a ton of data that describes the differences between OE, VAC, ACL, King, BE bearings. There is even a detailed thread describing the significant difference in oil flow between OE and BE bearings.

So how can you say there is no data?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #26
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
This is opinion. Don't mislead folks. Just replace them should be the mantra. What is used is really nothing more than debate. Claims have been made and nothing more when it comes to parts.
What really misleading is telling someone to install OEM bearings, knowingly they have clearance issues (FACT)

OP, do your research and let your common sense guide you!

Last edited by NeverL8; 09-27-2020 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2635.50
      09-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #27
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Wow, what does your skid plate look like? That is quite an impact to go through the plate and still cause that kinda damage to the pan.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #28
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

VAC, BE or WPC they all wear. Not one entity has done definitive testing that matters nor ends this parts debate. They all make claims and nothing more. Just know it's a service for an awesome motor and get past these debates. Once a manufacturer of the parts runs 3 cars equally on 3 sets of bearings multiple times.....I don't see reason for an allegiance to any of'em:
Increased clearance bearings coming out of cars are either not wearing or have very little wear.

To the OP whatever you do have them use ARP bolts, much less chance of install error than OEM bolts that have a more complex install.

There is data that increased clearance bearings have better oil flow at high rpms relative to OEM.

My understand is that there is variance when manufacturing any bearing and BE actually measures the bearings and makes sure you get a set where you won't have a tolerance stacking issue, but they cost more. Other increased bearings sets you might get a whole set that's a little on the small side, or large side, or in the middle. Your mechanic can measure them for you or you can find a shop to measure and give you a set that's going to fit right with proper clearance.

There isn't anything wrong with VAC or ACL to my knowledge but I would want someone who knows what they are doing to measure and mix the set for me.

WPC treated I don't think really fixes the root issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #29
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

WPC is a process. Not a product.

The ability of some to ignore data will never cease to amaze me.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #30
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / E36 328is

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Increased clearance bearings coming out of cars are either not wearing or have very little wear.

To the OP whatever you do have them use ARP bolts, much less chance of install error than OEM bolts that have a more complex install.

There is data that increased clearance bearings have better oil flow at high rpms relative to OEM.

My understand is that there is variance when manufacturing any bearing and BE actually measures the bearings and makes sure you get a set where you won't have a tolerance stacking issue, but they cost more. Other increased bearings sets you might get a whole set that's a little on the small side, or large side, or in the middle. Your mechanic can measure them for you or you can find a shop to measure and give you a set that's going to fit right with proper clearance.

There isn't anything wrong with VAC or ACL to my knowledge but I would want someone who knows what they are doing to measure and mix the set for me.

Interesting - what is it about the ARP bolts that's easier to install?

Noted about the measuring, very helpful thank you. I'll definitely ask the shop if they measure them prior.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #31
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Wow, what does your skid plate look like? That is quite an impact to go through the plate and still cause that kinda damage to the pan.
It seems like whatever was in the road hit the bottom edge of the bumper and sort of did a back flip and whacked the oil pan. You're right, the impact must have gone through the skid plate somehow; I'll take a look next time I'm at the shop. It did crack the plastic shield under the bumper pretty good on it's way there. You can see the scratch on the underside of the bumper where it first hit..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #32
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by d r i v e View Post
Quote:

Interesting - what is it about the ARP bolts that's easier to install?

Noted about the measuring, very helpful thank you. I'll definitely ask the shop if they measure them prior.
The OEM bolt install is many step process. It's probably fine if done correctly but it adds more chance of install error when it's a more complex install.

see post here of someone who used OEM
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152861
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #33
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The OEM bolt install is many step process. It's probably fine if done correctly but it adds more chance of install error when it's a more complex install.

Interesting - thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #34
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:

Plus the ARP bolts are reusable but stock bolts are not.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #35
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately the data for replacement bearing wear is scarce. Scrippy's WPC bearings pulled when his pan was damaged have more mileage than any of the BE bearings that have been shown after use. Keep in mind that prior to the semi-availability of BE and other increased clearance bearings, WPC was the preferred choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #36
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Great info - thank you! It seems like the decision sort of comes down to what tolerance amongst the aftermarket options (I think I read that BE has the highest tolerance, with VAC slightly less if I remember correctly). Any preference in your opinion?
i'm no authority on the matter. my mechanic uses his own bearings spec'd to accommodate his specified coating.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073979
      09-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #37
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

You should be able to get a used oil pan for a LOT less than the new price. Welded oil pans are more likely to leak.

(I don't have anything against a welded up pan per se - and have a heavily modified pan that's going into an E30 / S54, but when stock pans are reasonably available used, why?)

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #38
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know if there are any differences in the oil pan across the years (lci/pre-lci), e90 vs. e92, or manual vs. dct? Seems like they would be the same but wanting to make sure in case I find a used one.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #39
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are any differences in the oil pan across the years (lci/pre-lci), e90 vs. e92, or manual vs. dct? Seems like they would be the same but wanting to make sure in case I find a used one.
They are the same. A higher mileage pan is going to have more oil changes (theoretically). The threads are known to be soft and easily stripped- just be aware. Welcome to Bmw.
      09-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #40
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
They are the same. A higher mileage pan is going to have more oil changes (theoretically). The threads are known to be soft and easily stripped- just be aware. Welcome to Bmw.
That sounds like fun too.. good to know - thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11591.50
      09-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #41
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
That sounds like fun too.. good to know - thanks for all your help!
Check with Deansbimmer, he sells remanufactured units with Timeserts properly installed.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11591.50
      09-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #42
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
Check with Deansbimmer, he sells remanufactured units with Timeserts properly installed.
This is awesome, I'll send him a note - thank you! The under-tray looks tempting too..

Last edited by d r i v e; 09-28-2020 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #43
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Our skid plates have a 6" hole in the bottom. A direct unlucky hit here is all pan and no shield.
      10-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #44
sahilthegreat
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
2 different things you asked here and reading the first page of answers, I want to chime in.

1) you can make a claim through insurance. But if they do decide to make it a collision claim (instead of a comp claim), what would you do? You would need to see whether or not it would be considered collision or comprehensive.

2) since you want to do bearings, obviously the oil pan has to come off. Grab an oil pan off of eBay (read the listing and look at photos to make sure it's good). They should go for around $600 (as compared to the $15xx I saw somewhere. Also, the oil pan is aluminum, so I don't know if you can really fix it. You probably can, it might just be worth buying a used one.

3) let's talk about bearings
BMW did change the bearings, but it doesn't resolve the issue. BE would be your best bet for bearings, but I believe they're on back order. When I did my bearings, I went with the WPC coated ones (aka VAC). I have a friend with an E92 M3 that went King Bearings. I also have a friend with an E46 M3 that went ACL bearings. Honestly, it shouldn't really matter which bearings you go with - they're a wear item regardless, and they need to be seen as a maintenance item. They should be replaced every 80-100k anyways in my opinion.

4) With the labor, just take the car to an independent shop (not dealer) to get the bearings done. They shouldn't charge you labor to swap the pan if you bring them a new (or new to you) one. With doing bearings, the pan has to come off and new hardware and the same old pan has to be put on anyways. So there's no difference in labor.
Appreciate 0