BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #45
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

So I got a look at mine the other day and they look totally fine from what I can see. No idea how many miles are on them though as they were done by the previous owner and I've only driven the car 2300 miles since then.
      02-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #46
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
These VT mount failures are becoming pretty common on Zpost (the E85/86 shares the same mount), however it seems limited to more recent production and not mounts purchased years ago when VT earned their rep for these mounts being the best.

That said I assumed the 'wear' would be accelerated on the S54 engine because the I6 naturally puts more weight on the right side (because the engine 'leans'). However it seemed to also be heat that was the real killer to these mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Is the increase at NCH just at idle? Xan you elaborate? I don't mind a little more "racekar" vibes.
I have BW mounts on my car - put on ~1500km ago when I did bearings. I too am looking at switching them out because the added NVH is too much for me in this car. It's most notable at idle, very faint at low RPMs but that's acceptable. Worth noting I have not adjusted my idle from stock, and I seem to be the only one who notices/can't handle it, any (non-car people) passengers just assume it's supposed to be that way 'because racecar'.

I'm relatively local to you so if we ever meet again you can have a seat and see/feel for yourself.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #47
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Clearly its a materials problem. They probably changed supplier for the rubber bit of the mount. That said, it's no excuse for VT to provide such bad customer service. They should stand by their products and at least supply spare parts to repair the mount.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #48
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter de la mare View Post
VT mounts failed in my car also after only a year or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
These VT mount failures are becoming pretty common on Zpost (the E85/86 shares the same mount), however it seems limited to more recent production and not mounts purchased years ago when VT earned their rep for these mounts being the best.

That said I assumed the 'wear' would be accelerated on the S54 engine because the I6 naturally puts more weight on the right side (because the engine 'leans'). However it seemed to also be heat that was the real killer to these mounts.

I have BW mounts on my car - put on ~1500km ago when I did bearings. I too am looking at switching them out because the added NVH is too much for me in this car. It's most notable at idle, very faint at low RPMs but that's acceptable. Worth noting I have not adjusted my idle from stock, and I seem to be the only one who notices/can't handle it, any (non-car people) passengers just assume it's supposed to be that way 'because racecar'.

I'm relatively local to you so if we ever meet again you can have a seat and see/feel for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Clearly its a materials problem. They probably changed supplier for the rubber bit of the mount. That said, it's no excuse for VT to provide such bad customer service. They should stand by their products and at least supply spare parts to repair the mount.

I would not be surprised if others have the same issues but have not inspected the mounts. The compression of my mounts seems way off, the rubber failed in under 8 months which works out to just under $40 per month to have a shiny paperweight. I couldn’t find an identifying lot # or serial number if it was a bad batch.
      02-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #49
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

We should probably contact VT and have them confirm the use of a different material or at least provide a warranty for any of their mounts purchased since the change.

Either way, maybe if we get a few folks who have had the same issue write a letter that could help. I use them as wel but have had NO problem thus far. Now I'm worried.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 11:44 PM   #50
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazty Naze One! View Post
We should probably contact VT and have them confirm the use of a different material or at least provide a warranty for any of their mounts purchased since the change.

Either way, maybe if we get a few folks who have had the same issue write a letter that could help. I use them as wel but have had NO problem thus far. Now I'm worried.
Good luck with that. VT are clearly not interested in supporting their product after the sale if their response - or lack thereof - to my emails are anything to go by.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      02-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #51
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Emailed and waiting for a reply. Issue occurred well within the warranty period.
      02-27-2021, 12:29 AM   #52
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Anyone try these?

Powerflex Tuneable Hybrid Urethane Engine Mounts https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499975
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 12:29 AM   #53
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Emailed and waiting for a reply. Issue occurred well within the warranty period.
Good luck. Do update if you manage to get a response.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #54
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Finally had some nice weather (it's been so junk I'd only put 75 miles on the car in two months), so took out the E92 for some errands. Further thoughts on the BW motor mounts.

There is more vibration at idle. I can feel it through my butt, but I have to be focusing on it to make it annoying. From idle to ~1800 RPM, you still feel the mounts. Bit more vibration in that range, you can tell the engine is more solidly mounted. Once you get out of that range, I don't notice any extra NVH. It does make a drastic difference in shift quality on the 6MT. Takes out any of the extra sloppiness that the car had stock, and it feels so much more accurate and solid when making the shifts.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #55
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Anyone try these?

Powerflex Tuneable Hybrid Urethane Engine Mounts https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499975
I have these on order, waiting for delivery. Will update here once I get them installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #56
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:

Are you using the BW Solids engine mounts or the Performance ones?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #57
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Good luck. Do update if you manage to get a response.

I received a response that left much to be desired. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt before I write this off — but I suspect the fix is in. The rubber is in bad shape for engine mount used for 8 months.

An exchange within the warranty period is an easy fix for them to stand by their product. I’ve provided ample photographic proof, sale documentation and audio.
      03-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #58
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Good luck. I offered to pay for the replacement rubber bits, still no response.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #59
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I have these on order, waiting for delivery. Will update here once I get them installed.
Excellent.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #60
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I received a response that left much to be desired. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt before I write this off — but I suspect the fix is in. The rubber is in bad shape for engine mount used for 8 months.

An exchange within the warranty period is an easy fix for them to stand by their product. I’ve provided ample photographic proof, sale documentation and audio.

Doesn't sound like a replacement rubber will solve the issue, I'd suspect it's something to do with the material and design. There is no way that the rubber can be damaged so soon unless it was under-designed from the get-go.

Speaking of which I should inspect my OEM replacements I put in awhile back..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:58 PM   #61
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Quote:

Are you using the BW Solids engine mounts or the Performance ones?
Performance mounts. Can't imagine how harsh the solids would be lol
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #62
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Performance mounts. Can't imagine how harsh the solids would be lol
What is the stiffness rating for the BW Performance mounts? I had Revshift green installed on mine when the RB were done in January. Those are 95A while the factories are around 80A or so. I can actually hear the engine mechanicals in the cabin a bit with the 95A. Shifting is SO much better though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #63
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Got the old VT mounts off the car and they're not pretty. Left side mount is fine but the right side mount is completely toast.

Left mount. Rubber is a bit dry but otherwise ok:

Right mount. you can see that the top plate is at a weird angle and the rubber is completely ripped off:

I tried to open the top of the right mount but the allen bolts would not budge so I decided not to waste any more time with it. These mounts are going in the bin where they belong.

I'll be installing PowerFlex mounts with E46 engine mount heat shields and a DIY heat protection jacket. Hope they help the new mounts last longer.

Instructions on building the heat protection jacket here:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27394293

Last edited by Redd; 03-26-2021 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
irokwrx765.00
      03-26-2021, 11:34 PM   #64
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Got the old VT mounts off the car and they're not pretty. Left side mount is fine but the right side mount is completely toast

Tossed mine as well. Customer service is terrible and would have cost too much to ship back for inspection with no guarantee for relief. Vibra-technics engine mounts are garbage and the customer service is awful, stay far away.

New mounts look good.
      03-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #65
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quick update on the Powerflex engine mounts. These are called hybrid mounts because they actually utilize all the different grades of PU in the Powerflex catalogue. The main bush uses Red 65APU; the base has Purple 80A PU; the stiffening pins are Black 95A PU; and the retention band is Yellow 70A PU.

In the package:

Taken apart:

I ran these mounts without the stiffening pins as my car is a daily driver. Feel wise they are a lot like the VT mounts - there's slightly more vibration than stock at idle. Once there is a bit of rpm applied you don't feel them anymore. With the 4 stiffening pins installed, they are claimed to be 300% stiffer than new rubber mounts.

Hopefully these will last longer than the VT mounts.
Appreciate 4
///Mobbin1478.00
e92zero212.00
aus891.50
DrFerry6728.50
      04-03-2021, 12:33 AM   #66
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Really sucks VT doesn't stand behind their products.
They don't seem to be on social media either.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0