BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #155
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Mine has the metal end tanks. The post just made it sound like there was an even never version now available.
Updates happen periodically through the lifespan, just like M3 models themselves - we're documenting along the way as the OP has the plastic tanks pictured when the kits were introduced. We've even had a few systems with CSF heat exchangers on installs.

Performance is similar between both, other than bringing all major components being manufactured in house and the exchangers essentially being bulletproof.
Hi Tom, the new exchanger mounts in front of the oil cooler? Any issues on the track with oil temps?
      02-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #156
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Hi Tom, the new exchanger mounts in front of the oil cooler? Any issues on the track with oil temps?
Revised heat exchanger mounts in same location.

Oil temps are dependent on a number of variables (mostly driving style) in which a larger oil cooler or custom misting system adds some benefit.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #157
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Revised heat exchanger mounts in same location.

Oil temps are dependent on a number of variables (mostly driving style) in which a larger oil cooler or custom misting system adds some benefit.
I understand that oil is variable dependent. But assuming you tested this on the same car before after. No general conclusions?
      02-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #158
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
I understand that oil is variable dependent. But assuming you tested this on the same car before after. No general conclusions?
Very little different in performance between the two units, as explained earlier in post #154. Look into a larger oil cooler if looking to lower temps even more.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 12:22 AM   #159
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Quote:
Mine has the metal end tanks. The post just made it sound like there was an even never version now available.
Updates happen periodically through the lifespan, just like M3 models themselves - we're documenting along the way as the OP has the plastic tanks pictured when the kits were introduced. We've even had a few systems with CSF heat exchangers on installs.

Performance is similar between both, other than bringing all major components being manufactured in house and the exchangers essentially being bulletproof.
Love my G1 kit so far. Only issue I've have is a rough, bouncing idle that occurs as soon as cold start ends, before the car warms up. Once it's up to temp, it's great.

Have you come across this at all? At first ESS told me it's normal and the car just needs to adapt. I have 1500 miles on the kit, so not an adaption issue. Then they mentioned it could be that one of the plugs could have issues until it's warmed up. Plugs were brand new, installed when the kit was installed.

Have you ever come across this?
      02-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #160
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Love my G1 kit so far. Only issue I've have is a rough, bouncing idle that occurs as soon as cold start ends, before the car warms up. Once it's up to temp, it's great.

Have you come across this at all? At first ESS told me it's normal and the car just needs to adapt. I have 1500 miles on the kit, so not an adaption issue. Then they mentioned it could be that one of the plugs could have issues until it's warmed up. Plugs were brand new, installed when the kit was installed.

Try disconnecting the recirc tube off the BOV on the side of the manifold so that it is not routing back in to the intake. and report back.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #161
Usef_Afande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds very similar symptom that I had until I changed the temperature coolant sensor
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #162
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usef_Afande View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds very similar symptom that I had until I changed the temperature coolant sensor
Idle was rock solid until I had the G1 kit installed. So doubt it's the coolant sensor. I suppose it could be a plug since they were changed at the same time. Cold start - solid. Post cold start - bouncy. Warm - solid. Zero codes.

I have a P3 gauge with analog boost sensor, t tapped in line to the bov. With these cooler winter temps, I'm probably averaging around 7 psi at redline, which seems pretty damn good since I'm running the 91oct pulley/tune (with 92oct gas).

So besides the bouncing cold idle for a bit, car seems to run great!
      02-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #163
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

I used to have a rough idle when I'd fill my gas tank up, turned out to be the fuel breather valve, ~$100 part, sits under the intake box in the V, could be that but strange it didn't happen before.
      02-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #164
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

How many miles on the car? When were O2s last changed and what type of fuels (and/or additives) are you using?

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #165
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How many miles on the car? When were O2s last changed and what type of fuels (and/or additives) are you using?
Pre cat O2's are the originals (45k miles on the car). Car has test pipes. I run 92oct from whenever. Gas doesn't seem to make a difference. Ran several gallons of 100oct (around 96oct overall) the other day for fun. No difference in the cold idle.

The cold idle issue started exactly when the new plugs and supercharger were installed. Zero issues before, immediate cold idle issue post install. So logic seems to point to either plugs or related to the sc.

Goin to do new O2's just for the heck of it next time the car is in the shop. Was debating doing new plugs again just to rule them out.

Also hadn't driven the car in about 2 weeks, then drove it yesterday. Cold idle was actually more steady than usual and outside temps were about the same (~45°).

Overall, it's a minor issue since it runs flawlessly once up to temp, but it would be nice to find the source.
      02-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #166
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Pre cat O2's are the originals (45k miles on the car). Car has test pipes. I run 92oct from whenever. Gas doesn't seem to make a difference. Ran several gallons of 100oct (around 96oct overall) the other day for fun. No difference in the cold idle.

The cold idle issue started exactly when the new plugs and supercharger were installed. Zero issues before, immediate cold idle issue post install. So logic seems to point to either plugs or related to the sc.

Goin to do new O2's just for the heck of it next time the car is in the shop. Was debating doing new plugs again just to rule them out.

Also hadn't driven the car in about 2 weeks, then drove it yesterday. Cold idle was actually more steady than usual and outside temps were about the same (~45°).

Overall, it's a minor issue since it runs flawlessly once up to temp, but it would be nice to find the source.
Assuming you're using stock (LKR8AP) plugs, it shouldn't cause idle hunting, plugs should be changed every 10K on supercharged cars.

I would go ahead and change O2s and follow up. OEM only.

Appreciate 1
astris615.00
      02-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #167
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Assuming you're using stock (LKR8AP) plugs, it shouldn't cause idle hunting, plugs should be changed every 10K on supercharged cars.

Sounds like a plan. ESS was a thinking maybe one of the new plugs was dodgy. Will def do pre cat O2's when it's back in the shop for some maintenance stuff in a month or two.
      02-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #168
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, curious, is there a specific issue with the Bosch O2's? Price difference between Bosch and the genuine BMW is crazy. Genuine is $150 ish more per sensor. $220 vs $540 is a pretty big price gap for 2 sensors.
      02-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #169
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

No need to buy from BMW but buy ones made by the company that makes them for BMW. Could be Bosch of NTK. I forget which. There is a thread somewhere with the OEM for many BMW parts. I avoid the dealer unless absolutely necessary.
Appreciate 1
astris615.00
      02-09-2021, 12:03 PM   #170
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Oh, curious, is there a specific issue with the Bosch O2's? Price difference between Bosch and the genuine BMW is crazy. Genuine is $150 ish more per sensor. $220 vs $540 is a pretty big price gap for 2 sensors.
Use OEM only on plugs and O2s on supercharged applications.

EDIT: ESS confirms Bosch also, which might save a little $$ since you are not paying licensing from BMW. Stays away from remanufactured or other brands, they will most likely lead to issues down the road.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 02-09-2021 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
astris615.00
      02-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #171
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Use OEM only on plugs and O2s on supercharged applications.

EDIT: ESS confirms Bosch also, which might save a little $$ since you are not paying licensing from BMW. Stays away from remanufactured or other brands, they will most likely lead to issues down the road.
Awesome. In that case I'll pick up some NGK LKR8AP plugs and Bosch pre-cat O2's since those appear to be the actual OE parts.
      02-25-2021, 12:57 AM   #172
Usef_Afande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some quick shots of the new heat exchangers included with the ESS G1 kits:

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6e5b720b_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5dd45c63_b.jpg[/IMG]
Hi Tom,
In the ESS website they still show the heat exchangers with the black housing.
How can i ensure that we are getting the new housing if I'm making an order?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #173
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Hi Tom,
In the ESS website they still show the heat exchangers with the black housing.
How can i ensure that we are getting the new housing if I'm making an order?
The new heat exchangers were just released, pictures will be updated soon. We'll make sure you get the latest and greatest after your order is placed with us.

Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #174
Usef_Afande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@Tom

What about for the G1 kit owners, is it possible to upgrade to the G1+ kit?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #175
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
@Tom

What about for the G1 kit owners, is it possible to upgrade to the G1+ kit?
Yes

Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #176
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

Hey Tom!

i know a few people with the G1+ kit and they run the GTS DCT flash and have no issues... why do some have issues with the SC kit and others don't? odd...
Have you seen this also?
Appreciate 0