BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-16-2020, 02:28 AM   #23
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyRice View Post
Same mine is about 45mph and again 60-70mph (2.5K-3K rpm each). But it does go away once I pass those bands, or the sound drones out next to the V8 since that's higher RPM. I've noticed 4th and 6th gear are most pronounced, which suggests a certain load on the engine is required before I hear the noise. It also goes away once I remove throttle, which leads me to suspect the pinion gear is related (it moves upon throttle). This is similar to that thread. Also someone on that thread replaced their diff, and the sound went away, indicating it's not normal. In my video it's loud enough where it's bothersome, so I would expect more posts on this. Also my car is 08 with 65K miles. I read the service life is 80K (which is absurd), but there you have it; BMW mastercrafting the engine only to fall asleep at the wheel.

I also found a few websites that gives more description. Bit of a hole-in-the-wall websites, but it lines up. Only question is what they refer to as "howling". Sounds are suggestive, hence me recording my own. They both suggest lubrication and/or gears as the problem. I'm saddened that the prior threads report different lube does not remedy this.

"Howling under acceleration at various speeds, however, indicates that the gears are already worn out or are out of alignment or depth with each other. If rear differential noise occurs while accelerating the car only at a certain speed, it is likely because the gears have become worn due to overloading and lubrication failure. If your gears are newly installed and still create a howling noise, double-check its preload and make sure that the teeth are properly aligned."

https://fuelandfriction.com/weekend-...rential-noise/

"Noise: Howling while accelerating over a small speed range (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Worn gear set due to lack of lubrication or overloading"

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/...veline-noises/
Yup, sounds like we have the exact same issue. I also found it hard to believe that there aren't more people with the same issue out there.

So what are you going to do? Sounds like the only option is to replace the diff or rebuild it. Either way it's gona be costly...
I'm gonna take it to a shop on Monday to get a second opinion. I'm thinking bc it's a whine and not metal groaning, it won't require a full rebuild but the pinion gear replacement. il let you know

also another article about the exact same noise, pointing to the pinion gear. http://fixyourdifferential.weebly.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #24
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I'm gonna take it to a shop on Monday to get a second opinion. I'm thinking bc it's a whine and not metal groaning, it won't require a full rebuild but the pinion gear replacement. il let you know

also another article about the exact same noise, pointing to the pinion gear. http://fixyourdifferential.weebly.com/
Good luck man, hopefully you won't have to buy a new rebuilt diff.

Good article, I've seen that 135i video and it sounded just like our diffs. Good luck tomorrow!
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #25
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Good luck man, hopefully you won't have to buy a new rebuilt diff.

Good article, I've seen that 135i video and it sounded just like our diffs. Good luck tomorrow!
Yup it's the diff. I put my ears onto a sethoscope while car was going 70 mph on a rack, sounded winded and whiny, but no metal groans. Basically the diff is on the way out, most likely from prior owner mashing the hell out of it. I'm going to buy a rebuilt diff, probably from that website you suggested earlier. No point doing a partial rebuild, cost effective wise. That's $1500 plus another $500 in labor and $200 for oil

Good news is that it still has some life left, about 15K miles or so. At least I know what's causing it. Thanks for the help Stook!
Appreciate 1
STooK726.00
      08-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #26
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup it's the diff. I put my ears onto a sethoscope while car was going 70 mph on a rack, sounded winded and whiny, but no metal groans. Basically the diff is on the way out, most likely from prior owner mashing the hell out of it. I'm going to buy a rebuilt diff, probably from that website you suggested earlier. No point doing a partial rebuild, cost effective wise. That's $1500 plus another $500 in labor and $200 for oil

Good news is that it still has some life left, about 15K miles or so. At least I know what's causing it. Thanks for the help Stook!
Ah that stinks, but glad you were able to diagnose it! It helped me as well because I wasn't able to confirm if mine was actually the diff.

Yea, you are better off just getting the rebuilt diff. It'll be $1600+ after shipping costs (you have to pay to ship your core back and it's about 100 lbs so $$$$) and then labor and fluids like you said but at least you will be getting a new unit. Even used units are going for ~$1,000 and no guarantee that it won't have issues of its own. For the fluids, I skipped the BMW fluid w/ extra FM and just went for the Castrol Synthrax that's $67 from FCP Euro. Just don't forget to break it in for 1200 miles after and get the fluid replaced again after.

Our cars are pretty robust though so hopefully you won't have any other issues afterwards. This was also my first big repair for the car (besides rod bearings) and they are right, German cars are expensive to maintain. But it's worth it so far!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #27
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah that stinks, but glad you were able to diagnose it! It helped me as well because I wasn't able to confirm if mine was actually the diff.

Yea, you are better off just getting the rebuilt diff. It'll be $1600+ after shipping costs (you have to pay to ship your core back and it's about 100 lbs so $$$$) and then labor and fluids like you said but at least you will be getting a new unit. Even used units are going for ~$1,000 and no guarantee that it won't have issues of its own. For the fluids, I skipped the BMW fluid w/ extra FM and just went for the Castrol Synthrax that's $67 from FCP Euro. Just don't forget to break it in for 1200 miles after and get the fluid replaced again after.

Our cars are pretty robust though so hopefully you won't have any other issues afterwards. This was also my first big repair for the car (besides rod bearings) and they are right, German cars are expensive to maintain. But it's worth it so far!
Dam I had a feeling they wouldnt help pay for the core shipping back lol. Dude what kills me is the 1200 mile break in. I save this car for special roads and covered 1,000 miles in the last 6 months. Yea I bought the BMW+FM booster for $200, which I'll save it for after the break in. I do NOT want that sound coming back so I'm willing to spend the $ even if it's unecessary. I'll check the castrol for the break in period, thanks.
Appreciate 1
STooK726.00
      08-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #28
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dam I had a feeling they wouldnt help pay for the core shipping back lol. Dude what kills me is the 1200 mile break in. I save this car for special roads and covered 1,000 miles in the last 6 months. Yea I bought the BMW+FM booster for $200, which I'll save it for after the break in. I do NOT want that sound coming back so I'm willing to spend the $ even if it's unecessary. I'll check the castrol for the break in period, thanks.
Yea I feel your pain. I'm 300 miles in and I only drive about 3-4000 miles a year as well. What's worse is I had to do a 1000 mile break in for my rod bearings right before this lol.

Diffsonline didn't have the best communication but they take about a week and half to ship your diff out and you have 2 weeks to send it back. Their product seems to be good though. As for the fluid, either one should be fine. I'm getting some groaning at slow turns when the diff is cold but goes away when warmed up. I heard the FM booster allows more slip to quiet down the diff and I rather have it working the way it was designed to vs sacrificing performance for noise. Plus it's 3x cheaper so I just went with that.

When do you think you will be ordering the new diff? Are you planning on getting any upgrades done?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #29
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yea I feel your pain. I'm 300 miles in and I only drive about 3-4000 miles a year as well. What's worse is I had to do a 1000 mile break in for my rod bearings right before this lol.

Diffsonline didn't have the best communication but they take about a week and half to ship your diff out and you have 2 weeks to send it back. Their product seems to be good though. As for the fluid, either one should be fine. I'm getting some groaning at slow turns when the diff is cold but goes away when warmed up. I heard the FM booster allows more slip to quiet down the diff and I rather have it working the way it was designed to vs sacrificing performance for noise. Plus it's 3x cheaper so I just went with that.

When do you think you will be ordering the new diff? Are you planning on getting any upgrades done?
Lucky for me the prior owner already did the new RB break in for me

Funny I also emailed diffsonline. Dan was dry in his response but timely. Looks like it includes everything so no need to buy new seals, just oil. I'm actually going to entertain flushing the diff fluid and add in the FM booster. $200 to negate $2500 is worth the risk and I can't live with myself if I dont explore this option first. Plus the car has 65K miles, it doesn't make sense to me that it can go out this fast. If it persists, I'll just keep it as is and fix it next year. I've spent enough on this car in 2020. I like keeping the car stock to hold resale value (and mpg lol).

BTW I re-read our convos, and realized you changed the diff with a rebuilt one and added new bushings? I read that harder bushings will groan while turning.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #30
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

There is no RB break-in...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #31
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
There is no RB break-in...
I've heard both sides of the argument but the shop that did the work (ACM) recommended it and I rather be safe than sorry so I took it easy the first thousand miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #32
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I just flushed the diff and put in new with FM. Still makes the noise but slightly lower pitch now. Shop said no metal glitter in the oil which is a good sign. I'm thinking the 08 models are cursed with diffs that dont break in well. Noise still there, maybe after driving for a while it will progressively get quieter who knows. After thinking about it I'm going to leave it as is, not worth the money to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #33
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just flushed the diff and put in new with FM. Still makes the noise but slightly lower pitch now. Shop said no metal glitter in the oil which is a good sign. I'm thinking the 08 models are cursed with diffs that dont break in well. Noise still there, maybe after driving for a while it will progressively get quieter who knows. After thinking about it I'm going to leave it as is, not worth the money to replace it.
Yea, I replaced my fluid too and it seemed to have gotten quieter initially but wasn't the case. My mechanic also said the diff looked fine when he removed it from the car so I'm not even sure if it's really an issue. He didn't take it apart though so who knows what it really looks like inside.

I guess just drive on it for now and see if it gets worse.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #34
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Quote:
I've heard both sides of the argument but the shop that did the work (ACM) recommended it and I rather be safe than sorry so I took it easy the first thousand miles.
If you want to be safe then keep it under 3K RPM until you pass it on to the next owner. You are smarter than that.

The bearings make no contact with the journal, it floats on a film of oil. So what would you be breaking in, the oil?

Let's not spread disinformation.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #35
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yea, I replaced my fluid too and it seemed to have gotten quieter initially but wasn't the case. My mechanic also said the diff looked fine when he removed it from the car so I'm not even sure if it's really an issue. He didn't take it apart though so who knows what it really looks like inside.

I guess just drive on it for now and see if it gets worse.
Dude I've been driving it around more and noticed the noise has decreased tremendously. Seems like the extra miles makes a difference so the gears are properly lubed. I've heard it decreases the performance of the LSD, personally I'm ok with this since I'm not tracking or turning sideways with the car, just fun spirited drives occasionally. What a relief...def recommend the SAF-XJ + FM booster if there's noise you can't tolerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
If you want to be safe then keep it under 3K RPM until you pass it on to the next owner. You are smarter than that.

The bearings make no contact with the journal, it floats on a film of oil. So what would you be breaking in, the oil?

Let's not spread disinformation.

Hey let's be a little more respectful. Stook isn't spreading misinformation, merely conversing what's been heard. Thanks for the correction though.
Appreciate 1
STooK726.00
      09-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #36
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew III View Post
Dude I've been driving it around more and noticed the noise has decreased tremendously. Seems like the extra miles makes a difference so the gears are properly lubed. I've heard it decreases the performance of the LSD, personally I'm ok with this since I'm not tracking or turning sideways with the car, just fun spirited drives occasionally. What a relief...def recommend the SAF-XJ + FM booster if there's noise you can't tolerate.

Hey let's be a little more respectful. Stook isn't spreading misinformation, merely conversing what's been heard. Thanks for the correction though.
Glad it worked out for you and you didn't have to replace a diff for no reason! My diff whine is still sort of bugging me (from poly diff bushings) but I do really enjoy how the car transformed after solid subframe bushing and poly diff bushings. Still have about 600 more miles to go but at least I'm at the half point. I can't wait until it's broken in to see what the car really can do.

And to the other guy, I wasn't spreading misinformation just sharing my experience. You can take it or leave it.
Appreciate 1