BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #45
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by commedeschatons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
I use 5W50 Motul Sport Ester and I didn't see any differences in oil temps in both daily and track driving, outside of quicker cool downs at the end of each session. Running temps are the same.
is there any reason you chose this one over Redline, Ravenol RRS, or even Amsoil 5w50s?
i think its really old
convenient. we stock motul at work

I've switched to 300v 15w50 and the car likes it much better. cleaner oil reports as well. changed every 4k miles or 2 track days.
      01-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #46
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

15w, man that’s molasses at cold start!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:04 AM   #47
aboutsize14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

Just did a thermostat/coolant temp sensor in my M this weekend. Very easy job. Prob spend more time cleaning gasket material off than anything. Razor blade the old gasket apart and t stat will come right out. The youtube video is a much watch before this job. Your can find a t stat/coolant sensor on eBay cheaper than anywhere. Car comes up to temp faster. If you have thinking about fixing your stuck t stat, don't put it off. Its easy. Why somebody would pay a shop to do this job I don't have a clue.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #48
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

Just finished installing the 190 stat and it was probably one of the easier things to do on this car. Like posted above the hardest thing was cleaning the surfaces. It's a 2009 so after 10 years I had to replace the o-rings as well. I picked up a new 2 gallon gas jug and mixed a gallon of BMW coolant and distilled water in it. This works perfect as it's got a nice no drip locking spout and I have another gallon of 50/50 coolant ready to go in case I need to top off.

Two things I had to deal with and maybe some should keep an eye out for as the car gets older, first the red plunger in the coolant overflow tank broke off and after doing some reading it turns out it a common occurrence. Luckily mine broke off in one piece. Others have had it disintegrate and have found pieces of it in the water pump later on. Second, check your fuel rail for aging. This scared the sh!t out of me. As I was moving the fuel rail out of the way I noticed my fingers were wet and started smelling like fuel. The area where the solid part of the fuel rail meets the rubber hose was leaking at both ends every time I moved it around. No leaking whatsoever as the car is running or when it's not being manipulated. I'm including a video below to better illustrate where it's happening.

Appreciate 2
      02-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #49
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How bad was it to replace that fuel line?
      02-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #50
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
How bad was it to replace that fuel line?
I haven't. I'm waiting for a whole replacement piece. Most annoying part of removing the fuel rail is the fuel injectors. Two metal clips hold each individual one in place. I did this when I had the injectors cleaned. Otherwise it's a straight forward swap.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      02-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #51
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
Just finished installing the 190 stat and it was probably one of the easier things to do on this car. Like posted above the hardest thing was cleaning the surfaces. It's a 2009 so after 10 years I had to replace the o-rings as well. I picked up a new 2 gallon gas jug and mixed a gallon of BMW coolant and distilled water in it. This works perfect as it's got a nice no drip locking spout and I have another gallon of 50/50 coolant ready to go in case I need to top off.

Two things I had to deal with and maybe some should keep an eye out for as the car gets older, first the red plunger in the coolant overflow tank broke off and after doing some reading it turns out it a common occurrence. Luckily mine broke off in one piece. Others have had it disintegrate and have found pieces of it in the water pump later on. Second, check your fuel rail for aging. This scared the sh!t out of me. As I was moving the fuel rail out of the way I noticed my fingers were wet and started smelling like fuel. The area where the solid part of the fuel rail meets the rubber hose was leaking at both ends every time I moved it around. No leaking whatsoever as the car is running or when it's not being manipulated. I'm including a video below to better illustrate where it's happening.

What are the part numbers for the two O-Rings
      02-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #52
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
What are the part numbers for the two O-Rings
There are four o-rings that need to be replaced. Number 6 in the diagram below. Part# 11531406249

The fuel rail itself isn't serviceable so once it goes bad the whole thing needs to be replaced. If I had more time I'd probably figure out how to get some fuel rail fittings to completely replace that rubber hose.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #53
Todd0131
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yukon, stumpjumper, m3

Went with 5/50 this time around. Redline is def quieter than LM. Temps are the same.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #54
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

Quote:
I haven't. I'm waiting for a whole replacement piece. Most annoying part of removing the fuel rail is the fuel injectors. Two metal clips hold each individual one in place. I did this when I had the injectors cleaned. Otherwise it's a straight forward swap.
Where did you get the injectors cleaned?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #55
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
Quote:
Where did you get the injectors cleaned?
Southbay Injectors in Long Island
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #56
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Just installed this over the weekend, did a coolant change while I was at it too. Quick question, anyone else's fans noticeably on more? Not sure if that is normal with this thermostat
Appreciate 1
Bx Tpr122.50
      02-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #57
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Just installed this over the weekend, did a coolant change while I was at it too. Quick question, anyone else's fans noticeably on more? Not sure if that is normal with this thermostat
I noticed the fan was on more as well. It was also spinning at a much faster rate when stationary.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #58
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

No one is reprogramming the fan-on or fan-off temperatures when doing this so it may be the fan us triggered to run more due to the hotter coolant. And I am not sure the fan should be reprogrammed. My guess this is more of a warm up issue and that during hot running, the engine is operating at about the same temp it did with the old thermostat, except maybe in freezing weather on the highway when the thermostat may be controlling engine temperature.
Appreciate 1
Bx Tpr122.50
      02-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #59
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I noticed the fan was on more as well. It was also spinning at a much faster rate when stationary.
Yep exactly my case too, a lot louder. How are your temps? My temps are getting higher than usual, talked to another guy who is running it he said it's normal
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #60
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep exactly my case too, a lot louder. How are your temps? My temps are getting higher than usual, talked to another guy who is running it he said it's normal
I haven't driven mine yet. When stationary the temps are getting a bit higher but they come down immediately when the fan kicks on
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #61
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

It’s a hotter thermostat the coolant will run warmer thus kicking the fan on sooner and more intensively. You want to do this properly get the do88 engine radiator and oil cooler it will be more stable at operating temperature

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #62
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Decided Im not going to do this thermostat anymore. Seems like too much. If someone wants to buy mine off me, let me know. Its $14.71USD on rockauto
      02-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #63
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

So did it leak only when you had it in the air? What made you replace it? I'm just starting the process. Just finished my spark plugs
      02-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #64
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So did it leak only when you had it in the air? What made you replace it? I'm just starting the process. Just finished my spark plugs
It would only leak when I moved it around. Everyone I talked to said that it shouldn't leak at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #65
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It would only leak when I moved it around. Everyone I talked to said that it shouldn't leak at all.
Yah mine leaked when I moved it up only for a bit but it doesn't leak when I move it now
      03-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #66
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

Any news experiences?
Appreciate 0