BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Mr12Volt P2000 - Carplay/Android Auto w/M.O.S.T *New Model Update*

This Carplay/AA box seems to have been released in August 2021. Only a few have installed this so far, I believe I am #3 but there could be others out there that haven't posted about it. Hopefully there will be improvements along the way.

The major improvement with this option is audio is output digitally using the MOST bus. The same way the factory OEM CD Changer outputs audio. In fact this unit simulates CD1 audio source.

SQ is a huge improvement over AUX/Quadlock Aux of similar type boxes.

The one downside is the Mic situation, the 12Volt unit comes with a separate mic to plug into the unit. The Carsara oem mic splitter harness can be used but its harder to buy separately and most likely have to hope Carsara has some they can sell. They have sold them to previous Carsara customers, but we are unsure how long that will continue.

There is a CCC version but my experience with this has only been with the CIC version on an E92 M3, which should apply to any E90, E91, E92, E92 3 series, E60 5 Series, early F10s, E81, E82, E87, E88 1 Series. E70, E71 X Series, E89 Z series, F01 7 series and probably more models that came with the CIC navigation system.

Mr12Volt P2000 Pros:
- M.O.S.T fully digital audio output to CIC
- Supports Lossless Audio via Wireless Carplay and Apple Music
- Faster / More responsive UI
- Less bulky harness (no quadlock so no hassle hiding bulky cables behind the CIC
- Supports Backup Camera / Front Camera / 360 R/L Cameras

Cons:
- Initial setup issues, Mr12Volt claims no coding is required, but none of us could get it to work without coding CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc
- Aftermarket Mic included, no OEM mic splitter cable included (But could be bought separately)
- Fairly new product, so software might have the odd bugs but it looks like they already promised an update. But out of the box it is already more polished than the Joyeauto, Andream, Kremersino, etc units.
- After more testing, users are now reporting a lack of low end bass compared to the same audio played directly from the CIC unit. mr12volt says this can't be fixed without new hardware unfortunately. next gen units may be coming in 6-12 months. It does still deliver crystal clear crisp sound compare to the AUX CarPlay though, Just that it doesn't deliver very strong bass. Your listening style/type of music might determine how important this is to you.

Update (April 2022): New model with updated dsp is out: P2000 CICMD
https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...-interface-dsp
This new unit fixes the bass issue, the LVDS cable has changed so you'll need to re-run that wire from the CIC HU.
A $100 credit was offered to previous buyers, read the website for more info expires May 31, 2022: https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000...rningcustomers

Thanks to both 2009550iMSport Tigamilla for being one of the first to install this unit and provide tips for the install and setup.

Link to Mr12Volt website (currently pre-order as of 8/22/2021: https://mr12v.com/products/most-carp...2-x5-x6-z4-f01
E-Bay link (Currently Sold out 8/22/2021):https://ebay.us/4CT5Pf
A few units were available on ebay for $299, but has since sold out. Perhaps they will list more in the future.

This is everything that comes in the box.

Some images of the UI From 2009550iMSport

Install Tips
This is not meant to be a step by step how-to, this at least assumes you are familiar with taking apart the dash and removing the CIC head-unit. Those steps are well documented in other places so we wont cover them here. As always continue at your own risk or seek help from a professional.

Probably a good idea to check out the Mr12Volt install video below:

- Remove the center trim, remove the start button, hazard switch connectors, I recommend removing the trim and plugging the start button back in for testing later on.
- Remove the Climate control panel and connectors, put it aside.
- Remove the CIC trim
- Remove the Center trim with CIC controller, put it aside
- Cover shifter and area below the CIC HU so when you pull it out it doesn't scratch anything
- Remove CIC HU
- Remove Quadlock and LDVS screen cable
- Remove MOST fiber optic connections from quadlock by releasing the small clip holding it in. Remove plastic housing from 1 end of the 12volt splitter harness, put it onto the OEM most connection, plug into the splitter harness, put the other end into the Quadlock connector.
- Run CIC controller splitter harness up to behind the CIC
- Run backup / front / 360 cameras (Optional)
- Run Mic and place it where you want it. (or install oem mic splitter if you have it)
- Run cables to where you plan to mount the 12Volt unit.
- Connect everything
- Test it out, plug in CIC controller to test.
- Put everything back together

This is the rear camera I used: https://amzn.to/3kuFuIl

Front:

Rear:

Now I will get into a little more about how I mounted mine which is probably more involved that some would want. I choose to mount mine above the glove box. 12Volt just tucked it to the right side of the cic and left it there. I prefer above the glovebox because I can remove it fairly easy if I need access it. I also think there is more room and can be mounted better.

This is the spot I choose:

I wrapped metal dash frame with some foam packing material and put some oem like Tesa electrical harness tape around it, then zip tied the unit to securely mount it and stop it from rattling around in the dash. Wrapped up the wires to keep things neat.

This is where I mounted the bluetooth and wifi antennas. Hopefully since the dash is plastic signal will be good in the car or at least towards the center where my phone will be

Now the initial setup issues, also why I recommend you test everything before putting stuff back together.

2009550iMSport has this to say about his setup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
...do not change the DIP switches. Leave them ALL off. The instructions are wrong. The only DIP switch you might need to change is the one for E/F series, depending on if any of you has an F-chassis car. Upon digging through the developer menu, I learned this box automatically senses your display’s resolution and aspect ratio and will auto-adjust.
My experience was that Mr12Volt instructions said coding wasn't needed and the unit will activate the CD Changer on it's own, but I couldn't get it to work after unplugging the connectors and trying different dip switch options.

As soon as I coded CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc everything started to work and the CD1 option appeared. So far all 3 of us that have gotten it to work have coded this option. So we are unsure if the Mr12Volt without coding method even works. (there has been 1 report of the owner not needing to code anything without having a cd changer and it worked for them. But more have reported needing to have the above coded, this feature seems hit or miss for most. It is a good idea to be ready to have the coding done if needed).

Tips for coding with Bimmercode (Thanks djan9el ):
Headunit -> Expert Mode -> 3000 HMI
Find CDMM_CHANGER_3 option and change it to mp3_cdc
CODE -> START CODING

Tips for accessing admin password protected menu (Thanks @2009550imsport ):
1. Go to the Settings -> System -> Factory Mode
2. Click on Advanced Setting
3. This will bring up a password prompt. Enter “688612” and press OK

Full details on changing the bootloader logo here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=12

Last edited by tdott; 10-10-2023 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 17
Cyberdemon1537.50
SocalM328.00
S55_M376.50
tty331.50
Rochen_00349.50
jvictormp881.00
Ajolives922.00
djan9el47.00
dandandan101.50
dar2008302.50
DrFerry6728.50
DavesZed148.50
SlimE92185.50
SaNGRia984.50
      08-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Feedback about the Audio SQ:
Quote:
WOOOOOOT!

I’m glad I get to geek out with someone about it because the sound quality is SMACK YO MOMMA GOOD! Im actually sitting in my car right now, wireless CarPlay is streaming lossless to the Individual sound system and it just makes me want to cry happy tears! It sounds too good to believe!

Like they said, if you have a high quality audio system like Individual DIRAC or a custom setup, this is the best upgrade you will have ever given your car. I don’t think I’ve heard anything sound this good from any source, even wired USB to combox. It’s better.

Edit: I completed my front camera install and just wanted to add this here:
Honestly the resolution/picture quality isn't great, I don't know if it's the shitty fisheye amazon cameras or if it's because the video is stretched vs the smaller OEM like view I've seen other units use. It's not like I am recording motion pictures here, I just need to see where the curb is, so it's good enough for that.

This is the Front Camera I used: https://amzn.to/46r7wtO

This is the rear camera I used: https://amzn.to/3kuFuIl

Front:

Rear:

How the front camera looks mounted:

Last edited by tdott; 10-10-2023 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 4
S55_M376.50
djan9el47.00
nioh_lbbm21716.50
DrFerry6728.50
      08-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Mineral White M3

Great Job! Thank you for putting this together and creating the thread. I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my unit.
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
jellydoughnutt
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for making a separate thread on this one. I was following the other thread and decided to place an order for one a few days ago. Maybe sometime in October I will get it. I had been holding out for something like this, so very excited. I have bavsound speakers, and looking forward to mostly the great audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Well done and thanks tdott for starting this thread, strong opener! I feel like this will be a popular unit. Really like how you've mounted yours and I think I'll take extra time to clean up my install, especially if software updates are done via the SD card slot on the unit not the USB port.

Today I took a Oneplus 8 Pro, updated it to Android 11 and tried the Android Auto wireless functionality. All I can say is Ay Carumba! It connected perfectly and worked like charm, I even tried making calls and flipping between tracks and entire play lists on YouTube music and it just kept up with instant changes. I stopped to buy celebratory beer, got back into the car with the phone in my pocket and by the time the ignition was on, Waze was on the CIC screen and music was playing without me even touching the phone, mind blown! OK it did crash 5 minutes from home but I was trying to see if it would crash by doing a lot of things to provoke it. I'm still trying to figure out a few things like how it makes calls - it seems to revert to the stock system and therefore I don't know if it would make calls without a combox. Tomorrow I'll try disabling the combox bluetooth connection and see if that'll force it to use its own functionality.

Improvement points that I listed on the previous thread still stand:

- It aggressively flips back to the AA interface after pressing the menu button if you want to do things in the stock interface, you get about 20 seconds unless you change the input to one of the stock ones

- While using AA wired or wireless it won't automatically switch to the reverse screen when you put the car in reverse. So you can either flip back and get 20 seconds before it reverts or choose a different input on the stock system (e.g radio) and then select reverse to get the reverse display go come up and stay, as said in the previous thread this is surely a software issue and should be easily fixable.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #6
bossa.tiger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Just ordered a unit (preorder 20% off sale).

Looks like there's already updates (?) for firmware and software on their website https://mr12v.com/pages/p2000-series-software-updates so I'll be curious if this resolves any of the issues that have been mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #7
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigamilla View Post
- It aggressively flips back to the AA interface after pressing the menu button if you want to do things in the stock interface, you get about 20 seconds unless you change the input to one of the stock ones
I don't have this issue when I used the volume knob to flip back to the CIC UI. Also when I use the Menu button, and as long as I am moving around the CIC UI it doesn't seem to switch back to AA for me.
But if I do nothing, it does switch back

Quote:
- While using AA wired or wireless it won't automatically switch to the reverse screen when you put the car in reverse. So you can either flip back and get 20 seconds before it reverts or choose a different input on the stock system (e.g radio) and then select reverse to get the reverse display go come up and stay, as said in the previous thread this is surely a software issue and should be easily fixable.
Mine automatically switches to the reverse screen from AA. I think you have the reverse camera setting incorrect. Try the 'After track loading' option or something like that. Unless you have an OEM camera, then maybe you need a different option, but I have an aftermarket camera plugged into the 12Volt unit. There is also a setting for how it senses the reverse gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Ah interesting, I'll have a play around tomorrow. I wonder if yours is running a different software version?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550i M Sport

Thanks for making a separate thread! It just seemed like a lot of work.

Here’s a snapshot of the Bluetooth audio interface:

One thing OP didn’t mention was that this box supports lossless audio playback with wireless CarPlay and Apple Music. This is a HUGE deal, considering most OEM CarPlay setups don’t even support this. The music sounds incredible. I compared it to the Bluetooth audio built-in to the Mr12Volt Interface, and the difference was very noticeable.

If anyone would like one of these mic splitters, send me an email @ rlitt636@gmail.com. If I get 3 or more people interested I’m going to approach the vendor I got my extra splitter from and see about buying several. There are dozens of these CarPlay box vendors in Hong Kong/China, but this one seems like a cool dude. I imagine he has boxes of these parts lying around. It’s not guaranteed I can get them, but I will definitely try!

Oh, and as far as mounting the box goes, I mounted mine on top of the cup holder housing. There’s a large void in between the airbag and the dash. At first I was a little bit concerned about it possibly interfering with the airbag in the event of a crash, but the airbag deploys from the top of the dash vertically, so this area should be just fine. I used the supplied 3M mounting tape to secure it. There may be better options for you E9x owners, but this worked great for me, and it’s right next to the CIC head unit and display. The cup holder mounting brackets also make for a great place to mount your antennas! I mounted those on the passenger side cup holder bracket.

Last edited by 2009550iMSport; 08-23-2021 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #10
S55_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:

One thing OP didn’t mention was that this box supports lossless audio playback with wireless CarPlay and Apple Music. This is a HUGE deal, considering most OEM CarPlay setups don’t even support this. The music sounds incredible. I compared it to the Bluetooth audio built-in to the Mr12Volt Interface, and the difference was very noticeable.

If anyone would like one of these mic splitters, send me an email @ rlitt636@gmail.com. If I get 3 or more people interested I’m going to approach the vendor I got my extra splitter from and see about buying several. There are dozens of these CarPlay box vendors in Hong Kong/China, but this one seems like a cool dude. I imagine he has boxes of these parts lying around. It’s not guaranteed I can get them, but I will definitely try!
Email sent! Thank you
      08-23-2021, 09:07 PM   #11
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ah interesting, I'll have a play around tomorrow. I wonder if yours is running a different software version?
Make sure you set the settings as shown here:

Reverse Camera should be set to AfterMarket 360
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #12
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

One thing I’m not really a fan of is the aftermarket bootloader screen. Its the Mr12Volt logo in rainbow colors and it pops up instead of the BMW bootloader when you start the car. This isn’t that big of a deal, but I figured out a way to change it!

1. Go to the Settings -> System -> Factory Mode

2. Click on Advanced Setting

3. This will bring up a password prompt. Enter “688612” and press OK

4. Click on Boot Logo

5. Scroll through until you see the BMW emblem. Click on it. This will save the settings.

The next time your car boots up from sleep mode, this logo will show instead of the Mr12Volt logo! Unfortunately there is no M version, but at least it won’t look so aftermarket. I like for things to be as OEM-looking as possible.

Appreciate 1
Rochen_00349.50
      08-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #13
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I really wish the CCC option came with an upgraded screen for the better resolution
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:41 PM   #14
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
I really wish the CCC option came with an upgraded screen for the better resolution
You really should just consider doing a CIC retrofit. It’s not expensive these days. I could probably put you together a retrofit kit for $500, including coding to your VIN.

Hell, there are kits on eBay right now for $400. You’d probably pay half of that just for a higher resolution screen. CIC is a much more stable platform than CCC. It’s amazing how many of the weird electrical gremlins these cars sometimes have will just disappear upon upgrading to CIC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-E92...-127632-2357-0

I offer coding services including FSC codes (no emulator required for Nav). Holler at me if anyone needs to.

Last edited by 2009550iMSport; 08-23-2021 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:18 AM   #15
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
I think I might actually know of a solution for this. It’s not guaranteed to work, but I’m almost certain it will.

It would cost around $200.

Basically, there’s this 10-pin LVDS to 4-pin LVDS adapter that you can buy. I know because I had to buy one for when I retrofitted an android touchscreen to my old Mercedes E Class. It looks like this:

Here’s the link:

https://m.aliexpress.com/i/4000893050238.html

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, they all use the same basic architecture, even down to the quadlok for the head units. Its marketed as for Mercedes, but I see no reason why this adapter wouldn’t work with BMW as well. I imagine they only market it for Mercedes because the aftermarket head units for COMAND don’t usually have different style display inputs, so they offer this adapter instead. It saves on manufacturing costs.

My theory is that you could use this adapter with a CIC display. And then you would have a higher resolution screen for CarPlay!

You would then use this adapter to connect to the Mr12Volt’s LVDS cable that would normally plug directly into the back of the head unit. You need this because the LVDS on this 10-pin to 4-pin adapter has a male head, when you need female, like on the back of the CIC head unit.

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAKRA-HSD-L...-127632-2357-0

And then of course you’d need to source a CIC display. There are many on eBay for under $100.

You would be ordering a CIC version of the Mr12Volt kit for this to work. I see no reason why it wouldn’t work with CCC considering the only difference in the two is the display wiring.

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible if this doesn’t work, I’m just an idea man. Try this at your own risk!

Last edited by 2009550iMSport; 08-24-2021 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:53 AM   #16
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Hi,
I preordered the unit for my F10, and I've 2 questions.
Can you code the CIC (service history), when the MMI box is installed in the car? With the Andream (and with the other chinese AUX MMI boxes) it was not possible at the beginning, but it was fixed with a MCU update.

Do you have any error code in the car, when you switch to Carplay? If I know well with the chinese AUX MMI boxes you have 2:
B7F8CB CID: Image data invalid or faulty
B7F8C3 Connection, headunit to CID: No communication

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:32 AM   #17
Msidhu1
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 IB DCT

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Oh, and as far as mounting the box goes, I mounted mine on top of the cup holder housing. There’s a large void in between the airbag and the dash. At first I was a little bit concerned about it possibly interfering with the airbag in the event of a crash, but the airbag deploys from the top of the dash vertically, so this area should be just fine. I used the supplied 3M mounting tape to secure it. There may be better options for you E9x owners, but this worked great for me, and it’s right next to the CIC head unit and display. The cup holder mounting brackets also make for a great place to mount your antennas! I mounted those on the passenger side cup holder bracket.
Email sent for Mic splitter.

Thanks for organizing this.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #18
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Hi,
Can you code the CIC (service history), when the MMI box is installed in the car? With the Andream (and with the other chinese AUX MMI boxes) it was not possible at the beginning, but it was fixed with a MCU update.

Do you have any error code in the car, when you switch to Carplay? If I know well with the chinese AUX MMI boxes you have 2:

Thanks
You will need to code the CD changer parameter to mp3_cdc. You can do that before or after you install the unit.

The Mr12Volt box does not interfere with coding. The reason why the other versions would block CIC coding was because of where it tapped into the canbus: at the quadlok connector. This version only connects to your iDrive controller, where it taps into canbus and 12v+ for the power source.

I’m not sure about the error codes. I would imagine a couple of them are inevitable due to the nature of the device, but nothing that would show up outside of a diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #19
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I did copy your quote in post #2 that mentions lossless with the picture of apple music showing lossless ALAC enabled, but I also updated the Pros section to include lossless audio via wireless carplay and apple music to make it more apparent.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #20
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Hi,

Thanks
I was able to code the CIC to enable the CD Changer input with this unit connected.

Not sure able the error codes, haven't scanned the car with ISTA yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #21
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I wish they made something like this for the non-idrive guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #22
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I wish they made something like this for the non-idrive guys.
There wouldn't be a screen to display CarPay or AA on.

You can always retrofit CIC + dash swap and then add this.
Appreciate 0