BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #23
MikeyDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 - MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Why not 2008 with 90K+ miles around $20-$22K. Why he can't afford the car if he doesn't have like $30K? Don't be negative and push people away
It's all good. At this point (as another posted alluded to with personal experience) I've come to realize that you pay a premium for a car that has been properly maintained and had the preventative maint completed OR you can pay a lower price and end up paying thousands getting the car sorted.

I over research / analyze every major purchase so I am aware of the trade offs between a 22k or 30k M3. I really just wanted to get others (with ownership experience) perspective to see if there was any differences between the model years or other factors in general that I wasn't considering in my search.

I DIY as much as I reasonably can without having a full lift so I will take care of most all basic maint/repairs and have located a local shop nearby for the more serious work. I plan to give them a call to find out how much RBs will cost as well any of the other major items I may need them to perform... if any of you from GA have used this company, let me know what your exp has been.

They were rec'd by someone on this forum and I think may even have some employees who are members on here...
http://bimmersservicecenter.com/

Thanks for all the input so far... good stuff.

Last edited by MikeyDawg; 12-13-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #24
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Decide the spec you must have (needs) and the wants (things you'd like but can go without). I just bought my second e90zcp (dct before now 6mt). It's harder said than done but I think deciding the spec is a good starting point. I almost bought an e92 at times or even considered 08 high mileage cars (which I glad I did not get)... in other words, my specs were too loose lol... one thing I always was king of of sure I wanted was 6mt though. Good luck w with your search... make sure you're ready to pull the trigger (cash wise or finance) because otherwise you will lose on some great cars.... but it's part of the fun I guess. Welcome
Did you not like the dct? Or did you just really want the 6mt? What's your opinion on both after owning both now?

Trying to decide what route to go myself, Thanks!
Both are great options. I really liked dct particularly the downshifting and how fast the car shifted. But I found myself using the console shifter often and wished it was manual st times.

Having the manual now and I love it. It's not as fast but feels faster because you're more engage in extracting power. In the end my assume that is that dct I needed to drive more aggressively to have fun while manual not the case. But I'd have another dct in heartbeat again. Hope that helps.
scrammer420.50
      12-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Why not 2008 with 90K+ miles around $20-$22K. Why he can't afford the car if he doesn't have like $30K? Don't be negative and push people away
These cars are bargains at those prices. I have seen some advertised at just under $20k. Great for DIYers. All of these cars are now 5-10 years old and will cost more and more to maintain. If you use a dealer or shop, expect to spend some money — have a few thousand available from the start.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #26
jv92red
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i (SOLD) E92M3 (SOLD)

Big part of the search process is knowing which options your willing to pass on and which your not. This can save you on the purchase price.

For example, some people who track their cars could care less about ZCP since they're going to tear their dampers out and change their wheels to 18" anyways. Me personally, I also wanted a ZCP car but just for the wheels. After a few months of searching could not find what I wanted for a price I was willing to spend but ended up finding a 2010 with lower mileage than what I was looking for at a great price. I then found some used ZCP wheels on the classifieds that need some TLC for $800. So not holding out for coveted ZCP option will allow you a larger pool of cars at lower prices to choose from.

Also, many on here value the Premium Audio option and are willing to hold out for it, and for good reason: it sounds much better than the base HIFI (676) system. Me personally I usually tear out factory speakers and amps in favor of after market speakers, amps and sound processing. Upon my research I found out that base HIFI audio is much easier to retrofit as once you use a Technic harness you'll get a clean, un eq'd 5V pre-out signal from the factory harness to work from. With the premium audio optioned cars, even with a Technic harness to bypass the factory amp, the audio signal is still eq'd from the headunit. More evolved process to get a clean signal with an additional processor needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #27
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

One of the first things I check is the service record -from the owner or on Carfax. If the owner did the 1200 mile service and then oil change every 5k miles that's an indication that it belonged to someone who is likely an enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:51 AM   #28
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Go through all the service records and then put the car on a lift & look at the undercarriage. Then call my warranty guy and get a price on an extended warranty. He can extend any BMW M car that is less than 10 years old at a very reasonable price. Best in the business. Then buy it and enjoy it and sell it when the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:24 AM   #29
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
Go through all the service records and then put the car on a lift & look at the undercarriage. Then call my warranty guy and get a price on an extended warranty. He can extend any BMW M car that is less than 10 years old at a very reasonable price. Best in the business. Then buy it and enjoy it and sell it when the warranty expires.
Who is your warranty guy and how do we call him? Could he extend the warranty for a 2010 e63 m6?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #30
Space Captain
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Looking for M3

Step 1. One Owner
Step 2. Talk the Owner in person about car history, if you believe the Owner, then take to your mechanic for inspection
Step 3. If great, BUY CAR

After purchase
Step 1. Install after market exhaust
Step 2. Roll down windows
Step 3. Listen to the V8 music
Step 4. Drive it like you stole it at least once or twice a month!
Step 5. Install best brakes you can afford $5-7 K
Step 6. Enjoy and don't stop grinning
Step 7. Hand wash
Step 8. Park in garage

Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      12-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #31
Space Captain
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Wrong car listed for Space Captain?

my car is a 2008 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #32
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I always buy the owner. I would aim for the 08 because of the geeat value it offers. Save yourself a ton of cash for mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 12:54 AM   #33
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
After I buy it I bask in joy! Then I schedule RB replacement at EAS so I never worry moving forward. While doing that I put on a KW HAS kit and drop it 1" with 12mm & 15mm spacers. The following week I do coolant, oil, diff fluid. At 100,00 I do trans fluid. That's the first two weeks. The rest of my life I change oil every 5,000 and enjoy! I add other gemy things as I move along. Oh wait that's exactly what I did and have had a blast!
      12-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #34
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Cash reserved for maintenances
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      12-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #35
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I'm late to this party but this was how I approached buying mine last year:

I looked at 11 different e92s before I found the one I bought (lucky number 12). My main concern was wear and tear. I wanted something that had been well taken care of. I walked away from a few cars where the owners didn't know anything about rod bearings, throttle actuators, etc... and changed their oil like every 10-15k.

The one I found was from a forum member, and he bought it from a forum member previously. The car had meticulous records with lots of work reported, which tells me that the more stuff was taken care of, the less I'll have to worry about those things.

Then came the spec. I wanted red with ZCP and 6MT. I would have settled for jet black or grey if everything else considered was great. In one year of looking, I couldn't find what I wanted - at least not within my miles (on the odometer) and price range. I finally found a red, with perfect spec, that was m head and shoulders better maintained than the other 11 I had already looked at. The price was right so I pulled the trigger.

The caveat was that it was NOT a 6MT.

Overall, I'm thoroughly happy with the sacrifice that I made and now i drive a great car. I've kept my eyes open since buying this one and I still haven't seen the right spec with 6MT in great condition come up yet.

You may have to compromise somewhere but if you follow your gut, you'll come out okay in the end!
Appreciate 0