BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

08-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #67
Deniz1210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2011

Sorry, I didn't mean a DCT in 335, I meant automatic/steptronic/whatever it is. I was simply trying to say, because most 335 owners who now own a M3 probably drove automatic, and conversely I drive a manual, the switch from 335 to M3 may be different for me vs. someone else here. I know how DCT works and I am not trying to say I shift faster than DCT, I think you just misunderstood me. It's basically my perception of the difference between a manual N55 335 vs M3 and someone else's here who probably drove a 08 automatic N54 335 before the DCT M3, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #68
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
That makes sense, however there are plenty of manual lovers on this forum who switched to the DCT after thinking they'd hate it.

I guess I just mistook your "the DCT (I am sorry but I hate automatics, no matter how "smart" they are) was so slow and laggy. " for you thinking DCT was an automatic transmission, and that DCT was slow and laggy. That's why I responded the way I did. I guess the automatic thing is sort of semantics. I've heard it called semi-automatic, or an automated manual, but they've only been introduced into mass production cars since 2003 or so, and I wouldn't lump them in with what people normally refer to as 'automatics'.

I also agree with the opinion that for many daily drivers the 335 is more than enough, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing it for financial reasons or simply not caring to purchase the next level of performance. If that weren't the case, BMW wouldn't have anyone to sell 335's to.

Last edited by sor; 08-05-2010 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #69
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniz1210 View Post
Alright, you know what, I don't really appreciate the comments.

Just because y'all dropped 70 grand on a car doesn't make it the best car, it also doesn't justify it, it also doesn't make every other 335 or 135 or chevy or ford owner out there an idiot.
Some of the comments are way over the top and out of line. There's no need for the rudeness - I agree. At the same time you have to expect a lot of evangelism for the M3 in this forum for obvious reasons.

Also, keep in mind, from the beginning this fourm has been dive-bombed by 135i, 335i, and modded-135i/335i owners spreading FUD and talking smack. So, there is a distinct lack of tolerance for that sort of discussion (well, outside the vs. forum, anyway).

Quote:
Why would I lie?
You probably wouldn't lie - you seem like an honest guy overall. However, you have to agree that coming from a situation where you've already made your purchase and have clearly experienced some buyers remorse, is going to bias you heavily toward talking up the 335i.

Additionally, it sounds like you didn't get a fair test drive experience with the M3. Your comments about the DCT being laggy expose that. The DCT is far from laggy in general driving situations - it shifts almost instantly in fact. In general, it's a fantastic transmission that is perfectly matched to the S65 V8.

Quote:
Now, if I could go back 2 months, I would probably order the M3. But given that I have the 335, it's good enough for me. Until the new one comes out.
You see, here's why people are getting on your case, IMHO. Why would you even think about purchasing the car if you didn't particularly enjoy the test drive? Can you see how people are interpreting your comments as though you are talking out of both sides of your mouth? It's like you are droppin the hate just because you don't have the car. Just sayin.

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean a DCT in 335, I meant automatic/steptronic/whatever it is. I was simply trying to say, because most 335 owners who now own a M3 probably drove automatic, and conversely I drive a manual, the switch from 335 to M3 may be different for me vs. someone else here.
I think you are way off actually. I think that most people - or at least those who read and comment on this forum - who go from 335i to M3 either go from 6MT to 6MT or 6MT to DCT.

Anyway, enjoy your E90 335i 6MT. I enjoy mine. It's not an M3, but it is still a great car and a lot of fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #70
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

I actually test drove the 335i before getting the M3.

This is how I will sum it up:
335i = Torquey! You get the power right away. The power plant is very engaging below 4000 rpm. If I can remember correctly, I got the most response @ around 4500+ RPM because it really felt that it accelerated fast at the range. Acceleration was fast despite me not even reaching past 5000 RPM. This is where the M3 comes in...

M3 = Transforms into a different animal past 5000 RPM. The M3 is a HIGH revving piece of machinery. I will say that again, it likes to be revved HIGH. It basically wakes up past 5000 RPM. Just like any fast exotic car out there, it has a high HP and low torque. That's the part where these cars need to be revved up high to get it's full potential.

Last edited by e92_m3; 08-06-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #71
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You see, here's why people are getting on your case, IMHO. Why would you even think about purchasing the car if you didn't particularly enjoy the test drive? Can you see how people are interpreting your comments as though you are talking out of both sides of your mouth? It's like you are droppin the hate just because you don't have the car. Just sayin.
I agree. My issue with the OP is that basically he has a bad case of buyer's remorse on the 335i. And many of his posts have been in a sense trying to justify with himself on keeping the 335i, especially when he talks about his test drive with the M3 (ie low torque, seems the same to him, same interior, same exterior, etc). Its good for him, but some of his comments has truly been out there in his defense of keeping the 335i.

Like how he drives an 335i with manual/+ N55 engine, so thats why he doesn't feel there is enough difference between the 335i and M3. Or people don't understand because they drove autos on the 335i and don't get the value of the his vaulted 2011 335i with manual and the N55 engine.

Bottom line: you F'ed up and should have gotten the M3 in the first place (if you had the means). But keep the 335i and be happy with it. Its a good car, and not worth trading for an M now. But don't disparage the M3 or other drivers to make yourself justify keeping it.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #72
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

If you heart is M3 AND you can afford it, do it; you may not have the opportunity in a few years! if a car is to get from A to B then hold the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #73
BMWMFAN27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 IB M3

Garage List
Go for the M3. Better to pay more for something you want and will be happy with than to pay less (and still pay) for something you are not truly thrilled about. You will always feel like something is missing until you do!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #74
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

true, but maybe he really was not happy with the M3? LIke I've said, the M3 can easily disappoint a 335 driver on the initial test drive
      08-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #75
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

335i vs M3 is like Ferrari F430 vs 458 Italia.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #76
GoGeo
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwon66 View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #77
Deniz1210
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had the means to buy an M3, in fact I could buy 2 of them cash tomorrow. That's not the point. I am not disparaging the M3 drivers in any way, like I said in my previous post, why do you have to be overly defensive with the M3? If you know it's far superior than 335, and if you know the 70 grand is justified on it, and if you know it's such a classy car, why do you care whether or not these 135/335 owners who mod their cars come here and bad mouth the M3? See this is what I don't understand.

Pull up right next to a F458 driver in a red light and say "your car sucks, you wasted all your money, you could have bought a 335, chipped it to be 450 hp, have it make 0-60 in 3.5s", he will laugh at you and won't even race you. I'm pretty sure he'll put her to 2nd gear, slightly touch his throttle and at 2500 rpm calmly drive away.

You say the same to an M3 driver, chances are he will either get out his car and beat the sh!t out of you, or he will race you, or he will come to an M3 forum and complain.

I haven't said a single disparaging thing since the beginning. Find a single disparaging sentence regarding an M3 that I have said. In contrary, I can show you several towards me regarding how I don't deserve an M3 or how I couldn't appreciate an M3, and how I am such an idiot person, because I can't understand how "classy" M3 is.

I am not saying anything bad about M3, but so what if someone does. Why do you care so much about how a modded 335 is better than your car in a straight line race 0-60 even though it's 25 grand cheaper? If you go down that route, you can get a ford focus, do an engine swap with a turbo engine, chip the crap out of it and make it 600 hp, and I'm sure it will make 0-60 in 2 seconds.

The same way I don't take offense when people say how my 335 is a serial production car and how it's so regular and unspectacular. I don't care. There are so many arguments I can make when someone says that from keeping my 25 grand in the bank to modding the car so much spending half of that 25 grand that the 335 becomes faster, looks much nicer, and so on, but do I say it? No.

I am not here to offend you or your M3. Congratulations, you have the best car BMW makes. They should probably carve every M3 owner's name on a wall in Germany in BMW's headquarters and send you flowers for every mile you drive the M3. What can I say? Happy now?

I just don't understand how it got to the point of people thinking I was the one doing the offensive talking whereas it was completely opposite. I have just stated my opinion in a very civil and normal way.

You know what, you people are going to drive me away from the M. If I keep reading these threads I will end up modding my 335 and putting videos in youtube of me racing M3s. I am kidding please don't even answer this!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #78
BMWMFAN27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwon66 View Post
Its like sleeping with an 8 vs a 10. Sure the 8 is going to be nice and fun, but really are you going to compare that to sleeping with a 10? Although sleeping with with the 10 might carry more risks (STDs aka Speeding Tickets)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #79
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
I had the means to buy an M3, in fact I could buy 2 of them cash tomorrow. That's not the point. I am not disparaging the M3 drivers in any way, like I said in my previous post, why do you have to be overly defensive with the M3? If you know it's far superior than 335, and if you know the 70 grand is justified on it, and if you know it's such a classy car, why do you care whether or not these 135/335 owners who mod their cars come here and bad mouth the M3? See this is what I don't understand.

Pull up right next to a F458 driver in a red light and say "your car sucks, you wasted all your money, you could have bought a 335, chipped it to be 450 hp, have it make 0-60 in 3.5s", he will laugh at you and won't even race you. I'm pretty sure he'll put her to 2nd gear, slightly touch his throttle and at 2500 rpm calmly drive away.

You say the same to an M3 driver, chances are he will either get out his car and beat the sh!t out of you, or he will race you, or he will come to an M3 forum and complain.

I haven't said a single disparaging thing since the beginning. Find a single disparaging sentence regarding an M3 that I have said. In contrary, I can show you several towards me regarding how I don't deserve an M3 or how I couldn't appreciate an M3, and how I am such an idiot person, because I can't understand how "classy" M3 is.

I am not saying anything bad about M3, but so what if someone does. Why do you care so much about how a modded 335 is better than your car in a straight line race 0-60 even though it's 25 grand cheaper? If you go down that route, you can get a ford focus, do an engine swap with a turbo engine, chip the crap out of it and make it 600 hp, and I'm sure it will make 0-60 in 2 seconds.

The same way I don't take offense when people say how my 335 is a serial production car and how it's so regular and unspectacular. I don't care. There are so many arguments I can make when someone says that from keeping my 25 grand in the bank to modding the car so much spending half of that 25 grand that the 335 becomes faster, looks much nicer, and so on, but do I say it? No.

I am not here to offend you or your M3. Congratulations, you have the best car BMW makes. They should probably carve every M3 owner's name on a wall in Germany in BMW's headquarters and send you flowers for every mile you drive the M3. What can I say? Happy now?

I just don't understand how it got to the point of people thinking I was the one doing the offensive talking whereas it was completely opposite. I have just stated my opinion in a very civil and normal way.

You know what, you people are going to drive me away from the M. If I keep reading these threads I will end up modding my 335 and putting videos in youtube of me racing M3s. I am kidding please don't even answer this!
I think the only one who feels offended or is having issues on this post is you. As I have said in every post, enjoy your 335, it's a great car. The m3 at this moment isn't right for you. Does this fact bother you?

Go ahead and mod the 335. Go ahead and make videos and post to YouTube. Whatever rocks your boat. At the end of the day, you got to be happy with what you got.

All I know is that I'm happy with my m3, and not writing posts about trading it in for something else.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #80
Deniz1210
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
OP, I have been a long time m-owner. I once owned an e92 335i and did all the Dinan yada yada crap and the car was still a complete bore to me. You sound like a nice kid with a fresh MBA and entry-level job at Goldman Sachs and the grand world is before you... so go out and enjoy your first car and move up the line as you progress through life and the BMW brand.
I do work in wall street, not in goldman, I certainly don't have an MBA. I'd rather spend the 70k on M3 than on a stupid MBA (sorry if I offend anyone).

I ain't getting the M3 guys, not this one. Next one will have 4 turbos and will kick this one's a$$ and will cost 20 grand less. It will be called 340/JBM lol.

Take it easy, I am just pulling your leg. I like my car as you like yours.

Will you guys be mad if the new 335 (F3X) has 350 hp, 380 lb of torque and does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds? I know I will!

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's time. I will join your club one day, just not yet.:P
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #81
BMWMFAN27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do work in wall street, not in goldman, I certainly don't have an MBA. I'd rather spend the 70k on M3 than on a stupid MBA (sorry if I offend anyone).

I ain't getting the M3 guys, not this one. Next one will have 4 turbos and will kick this one's a$$ and will cost 20 grand less. It will be called 340/JBM lol.

Take it easy, I am just pulling your leg. I like my car as you like yours.

Will you guys be mad if the new 335 (F3X) has 350 hp, 380 lb of torque and does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds? I know I will!

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's time. I will join your club one day, just not yet.:P
wishful thinking
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread