BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #1123
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
The lap times thread on F80 forum is a little dead so far. Got some lap times. Hope you don't mind me posting here for discussion sake, plus I need some track ppl to chat with:

VIR Full
2:12.99 with 2:10.6 virtual best
F80 M3 DCT, Passive Suspension, DSC OFF
Everything stock except:
275/35R18 Toyo RA1s in all 4 corners on 18x10 Apex EC-7s
Carbotech XP12/XP10, RBF 600

Need more camber

Don't be silly, all track cars & videos are welcomed.

Man, that spec E46 is FAST thru T7, 8, 9 and 10.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #1124
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Man, that spec E46 is FAST thru T7, 8, 9 and 10.
Yeah. Evan is one heck of a driver. Those spec racing guys know how to get it done. I am planning on building one this winter. Time to stop playing around in a pricey DD without safety equipment. Even if I added seats, harness bar, etc., still would not fill 100% comfy pushing 10/10, it being such a pricey car for my budget. Spec E46 though, I think I am gonna wring it's neck out
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #1125
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins
The lap times thread on F80 forum is a little dead so far. Got some lap times. Hope you don't mind me posting here for discussion sake, plus I need some track ppl to chat with:

VIR Full
2:12.99 with 2:10.6 virtual best
F80 M3 DCT, Passive Suspension, DSC OFF
Everything stock except:
275/35R18 Toyo RA1s in all 4 corners on 18x10 Apex EC-7s
Carbotech XP12/XP10, RBF 600

Need more camber

all the track threads from every model on here should be grouped together.

cmon mods!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #1126
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
VIR Full with TrackDaze 26 August 2014 Black Group Session 1

Best lap: 2:17:72 (starts ~7:00)

Car:
2008 AW e92 M3
Wheel/Tire: 19" Style 359 ZCP/ Yokohama Advan AD08 255f/275r
Suspension: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/ e36 M3 bumpstops
Engine/Drivetrain: AA Green Filter, AA Pulley, Akrapovic EVO Exhaust
Brakes: Performance Friction front BBK (PF01)

Timing Equipment:
Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz Bluetooth GPS Receiver
Because it kills me looking at inaccurate data logged at 1Hz.

First time on the new pavement. There's a new line going through turn 3, basically, the intent is to place the car in the middle going into 3, trail brake and track out all into the new pavement past the rumble strips which sets you up perfectly for 4. The intent is to keep the right side of the car loaded through the entire sequence. I was able to do it perfectly on the last session the day prior, but not so much in this video and my brake pad (PF01) exploded at turn 10 the following session so had to call it a day. Overall a great experience, got my feet wet again after a 2 year layover from HPDE, but couldn't meet my goal of logging a lap below 2:10. I need to figure out what to do at Oak Tree, it freaks me out not seeing the tree where the tire barrier there used to be my reference point.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #1127
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I think you mean 2:12:72. Nice driving! Pretty much same time as me, just a hair faster.

I see you grab almost every single curb when you drive. I wonder if staying of the curbs would help you be a little smoother. Even if it does not upset the car, I find staying of them helps me stay more relaxed and keep my vision up.

It looked like you were more aggressive on the throttle than me. Something I need to seriously work on.

Looked like you were a tad early in turns 1 and 3 and def way early in oak tree. Funny thing, it's opposite for me. I was not that great with that turn when the tree was there, but now that it's gone, I think I got it good. I bet nailing the oak tree would net 2 seconds right there. Cause your top speed is already 147 (same as mine) and that's with a poor exit onto the back straight.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #1128
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep

What telemetry system are you using? Solo DL?

Quote:

Car:
2008 AW e92 M3

Timing Equipment:

First time on the new pavement. There's a new line going through turn 3, basically, the intent is to place the car in the middle going into 3, trail brake and track out all into the new pavement past the rumble strips which sets you up perfectly for 4. The intent is to keep the right side of the car loaded through the entire sequence. I was able to do it perfectly on the last session the day prior, but not so much in this video and my brake pad (PF01) exploded at turn 10 the following session so had to call it a day. Overall a great experience, got my feet wet again after a 2 year layover from HPDE, but couldn't meet my goal of logging a lap below 2:10. I need to figure out what to do at Oak Tree, it freaks me out not seeing the tree where the tire barrier there used to be my reference point.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #1129
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Agree with this. There is nothing to win and a lot to lose on hpde events. Dont know about porsche, but we have mdm mode(euro mdm is fantastic).
Turn nannies off, and bad things will happen sooner or later. Have seen totaled cars too many times. Most of them were running with nannies off.
Well, let me clarify. Don't let anyone pressure you into turning off the nannies.......do it when you are ready. But once you do hopefully you will find that you were anxious for no reason. The nannies on an E9x M3 on or MDM are quite intrusive and eventually it is better to have them off. (dry and safe track with run off). The nannies on a 150K GT3 RS allow quite a bit more sideways action......and may be a good substitute for track insurance.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #1130
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

I second the above comment. Put all BMW track sections together. I would be curious to see how a M235, 1M, E30, E36, E46, E9x, F8x M3 would do on track......heck I wouldn't care if it were a 128. Bottom line the track community would be more than happy to help/share with all.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #1131
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think you mean 2:12:72. Nice driving! Pretty much same time as me, just a hair faster.

I see you grab almost every single curb when you drive. I wonder if staying of the curbs would help you be a little smoother. Even if it does not upset the car, I find staying of them helps me stay more relaxed and keep my vision up.

It looked like you were more aggressive on the throttle than me. Something I need to seriously work on.

Looked like you were a tad early in turns 1 and 3 and def way early in oak tree. Funny thing, it's opposite for me. I was not that great with that turn when the tree was there, but now that it's gone, I think I got it good. I bet nailing the oak tree would net 2 seconds right there. Cause your top speed is already 147 (same as mine) and that's with a poor exit onto the back straight.
Thanks! The car is a pig and understeers like a FWD so I have to turn in early/ trail brake and use as much of the track as possible, curbs and a bit of dirt/ grass before they repaved, LOL! I think it'll be better if I move to a square setup or R-compound, but I'm having too much fun with the crazy trail braking into oversteer setup I have going right now hehe. Might not be the fastest way around but it is massively fun!! I agree that Oak Tree sequence is costing me a few seconds, definitely need to figure out what's going on there. I tried to turn in later using the old lines but then I'm not using the new pavement on the outside which just feels slower to me. I'll review the data from my other sessions and see if it was faster turning in later and staying off the new pavement. And you're right, my car is very strong on the back straight for some reason, I was pulling in a 15' Camaro SS manual w/ 1LE package. Not surprisingly, he kept pulling away from me going around Hog Pen. My car is very unstable through that portion of the track, that 1LE package is no joke! Speaking of unstable, it was unstable on the back straight also so I lift pretty early before the desired brake point (2 marker), pretty sure my shocks are getting tired. Desired brake point because I need some brake ducts for the front brakes, heat was probably a big contributor to the pad separating, the other being manufacturing defect speaking of which, I should be calling PFC right now instead of lurking in the forums!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #1132
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaung View Post
What telemetry system are you using? Solo DL?
I'm running Trackmaster on my old Moto Droid 3 phone bluetoothed to the Qstarz BT-Q818XT so the lateral acceleration telemetry is probably way off because I think it is just logging off the phone's accelerometer. At least that's what I'm hoping, because pulling only .5g going around VIR is pretty sad!! You can see the phone fitting perfectly in the front ashtray in the video.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #1133
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
I second the above comment. Put all BMW track sections together. I would be curious to see how a M235, 1M, E30, E36, E46, E9x, F8x M3 would do on track......heck I wouldn't care if it were a 128. Bottom line the track community would be more than happy to help/share with all.
+2
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #1134
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, let me clarify. Don't let anyone pressure you into turning off the nannies.......do it when you are ready. But once you do hopefully you will find that you were anxious for no reason. The nannies on an E9x M3 on or MDM are quite intrusive and eventually it is better to have them off. (dry and safe track with run off). The nannies on a 150K GT3 RS allow quite a bit more sideways action......and may be a good substitute for track insurance.
That was exactly my experience 2 1/2 years ago. It wasn't bad. All manageable.

I was going thru all kinds of oversteers (oh-sh*t-moments) due to being oblivious to proper driving, but found myself correcting oversteers and getting a LOT of practice on that front and, most importantly, made me think about what was causing these. Soon, all those things I heard & read about (pinching corners, pinching steering wheel, etc) started making sense.

After that phase, moved onto playing with the car by rotating via trail-braking, throttle lift oversteer, drifting, etc. This sport is just unbelievably fun.

Last edited by OC3; 09-09-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #1135
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! The car is a pig and understeers like a FWD so I have to turn in early/ trail brake and use as much of the track as possible, curbs and a bit of dirt/ grass before they repaved, LOL! I think it'll be better if I move to a square setup or R-compound, but I'm having too much fun with the crazy trail braking into oversteer setup I have going right now hehe. Might not be the fastest way around but it is massively fun!! I agree that Oak Tree sequence is costing me a few seconds, definitely need to figure out what's going on there. I tried to turn in later using the old lines but then I'm not using the new pavement on the outside which just feels slower to me. I'll review the data from my other sessions and see if it was faster turning in later and staying off the new pavement. And you're right, my car is very strong on the back straight for some reason, I was pulling in a 15' Camaro SS manual w/ 1LE package. Not surprisingly, he kept pulling away from me going around Hog Pen. My car is very unstable through that portion of the track, that 1LE package is no joke! Speaking of unstable, it was unstable on the back straight also so I lift pretty early before the desired brake point (2 marker), pretty sure my shocks are getting tired. Desired brake point because I need some brake ducts for the front brakes, heat was probably a big contributor to the pad separating, the other being manufacturing defect speaking of which, I should be calling PFC right now instead of lurking in the forums!
Square setup definitely does help. On a test drive years ago after square setup, it was amazing how noticeable the car was eager to turn in.

Crazy trail braking works equally well with R-comp - you'll just be doing it at higher speeds (more fun!).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #1136
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. Evan is one heck of a driver. Those spec racing guys know how to get it done. I am planning on building one this winter. Time to stop playing around in a pricey DD without safety equipment. Even if I added seats, harness bar, etc., still would not fill 100% comfy pushing 10/10, it being such a pricey car for my budget. Spec E46 though, I think I am gonna wring it's neck out
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #1137
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

After watching your video, was gonna comment on that, but decided not to.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #1138
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
That's my feeling exactly...I'm positive that the nannies have saved me on more than a few times from something very bad. I like to see how fast I can go with them coming on as little as possible (means I'm driving smoother) but there are turns/elevation changes where they'll come on no matter how smooth or straight I'm going. When I have taken the nannies off I slow down a good bit and then slowly increase speed. Most of the time I do end up spinning in a tight slower turn because I'm pinching the turn and/or have too much throttle in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #1139
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Well, my turn to clarify. I was talking to those, who are beginning and those who think they are ace drivers, like OC3 for example.
As for myself, i drive in solo/instructor run group, run my supercharged m3 with nannys off exept for 1 track, WGI, where one small mistake=totaled car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #1140
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Well, my turn to clarify. I was talking to those, who are beginning and those who think they are ace drivers, like OC3 for example.
As for myself, i drive in solo/instructor run group, run my supercharged m3 with nannys off exept for 1 track, WGI, where one small mistake=totaled car.
LOL, ace, no. G0d's gift to tracking, yes.

Last edited by OC3; 09-10-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #1141
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

I totally agree with the first bolded statement. Its is definitely more rewarding to me to actually learn to drive the car well by feeling what the car is actually doing (slip angles, etc.). Even MDM is too intrusive for that, cause it's sneaky and subtle in its intervention (and hard on brake pads). Don't have Euro MDM but hear it is a tad more liberal. However, on tracks new to me, and in rain, I drive with MDM on.

As for the second bolded statement..... well, there IS NO substitute for track insurance. Always consider the other guy. My friend got T-boned in his E92 in turn 10A at Road Atlanta a couple years ago by some yahoo behind him who over-cooked the brake zone. Totaled his car, luckily not hurt, but the other guy refused to pay though definitely at fault! My friend had track insurance. I'll always carry some now... Nannies or not, stuff can happen, even when you're driving carefully.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #1142
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

Car:
2008 AW e92 M3

Timing Equipment:

Welcome back, Johnny!! Nice laps. Would love to run with you again at VIR. I'll be back there in Nov. 10-11, instructing with TrackDaze.

You ARE a curb magnet, aren't ya!

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #1143
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
[/B]

I totally agree with the first bolded statement. Its is definitely more rewarding to me to actually learn to drive the car well by feeling what the car is actually doing (slip angles, etc.). Even MDM is too intrusive for that, cause it's sneaky and subtle in its intervention (and hard on brake pads). Don't have Euro MDM but hear it is a tad more liberal. However, on tracks new to me, and in rain, I drive with MDM on.

As for the second bolded statement..... well, there IS NO substitute for track insurance. Always consider the other guy. My friend got T-boned in his E92 in turn 10A at Road Atlanta a couple years ago by some yahoo behind him who over-cooked the brake zone. Totaled his car, luckily not hurt, but the other guy refused to pay though definitely at fault! My friend had track insurance. I'll always carry some now... Nannies or not, stuff can happen, even when you're driving carefully.
I got that programmed, but it is also very intrusive. Allows for more slip angle under power, but that seems to be about it. Anytime the car gets light at all in the rear, the response seems to be to just shut the car down before you ever get a chance to apply corrections.

Very glad to have made the jump to driving with it off....remember being very scared the first time out with the nannies off....but you know what? I didn't fly of the track and burst into flames....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #1144
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Welcome back, Johnny!! Nice laps. Would love to run with you again at VIR. I'll be back there in Nov. 10-11, instructing with TrackDaze.

You ARE a curb magnet, aren't ya!
Hi Bill!

Thanks, good to be back, those Korean drivers are crazy! I'll definitely try to make it to the Nov 10-11 event. See you then!!

The curb and about a foot past that is part of the track in my book, as long as its not 4 wheels off!
Appreciate 0