BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

08-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #67
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
No offense but you come off like you're specifically trying to be negative here.
Don't misinterpret challenging or skepticism with negativity!

Quote:
I can only tell you a few absolute facts.
Calling these "absolute facts" is a massive distortion of reality. As the other poster pointed out you seem unable/unwilling to offer the same level of proof you have demanded from others. In addition we can not forget the huge difference between race engines and production engines (not to mention trannys, diffs, axles, etc. WHICH ALL NEED broken in). Race vs. production engines differ dramatically not only in design, materials, tolerances, but again (as pointed out prior) intended use. A performance production engine person generally cares equally about power and longevity with much more emphasis on the latter. How much variation in power output might you really expect from a different break in. Just throwing a total "back of the envelope" guess at it I would say 1%. What does 1% matter in a production car if your $20k engine craps out at 20k miles? Although there certainly are endurance forms of racing, race guys will be very concerned about 1% and way, way less concerned about longevity.

Anyway, please re-read my post and offer up some more meat on the bones for us!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #68
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Jeez... the more I read about this topic, the less I'm certain of what I SHOULD have done. I just had the 1200 miles service done today. I read in the supplemental manual that the speed should be limited to 85mph and the rpm no more than 5500. I think I passed the 5500 mark once. Other than that, I did vary the rpm in all the gears. After I got the service done, I took her up to about 7000 rpm. What a beautiful sound! I haven't noticed the power surge that everyone is talking about. Granted it was raining hard today. I'll have to see on a dry day if there's anything noticeably different about the way the car moves.

I bought the damn thing, so I hope that I did the right thing. I wish there was a definite answer to what we should do. There was a poll recently on whether owners followed the guideline or not. I believe > 80% of the people followed it.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #69
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I'm going to break in my new one a little harder. I followed the break in on my MY08. Btw MY11 didn't have the breakin sticker on the windshield.
      09-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #70
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I'm doing a medium-hard break in. Still honouring the 4,500 rpm (Sometimes go a little order) but definitely on the throttle at 50-75% to hear her scream
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #71
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
It is interesting to see all these heated discussions about break-in (another similar topic is frequency of oil changes). Maybe we should just write a letter to BMW and ask them to put this to rest?

Here is a piece of info I got from the primary source - when I was picking up my 335xi at the factory, it was one of the first US-spec 335xi delivered, and there was a bit of a gathering of the BMW people in the delivery center to show me the car and talk to me why I chose BMW, why XI and so on. When I said I was sad that I will leave Germany before the end of break-in period, so I cannot try it on Autobahn full speed, they looked genuinely surprised, as if I said I believe in Santa Claus. Then they told me not to worry much about break in because each engine goes though so much testing off and on the car that it's broken in already, and the procedure described was more of a precaution. Also, they mentioned that this car has been to well over 100MPH many times even before it's mileage started counting. The only thing they mentioned needed breaking in was brakes - no very rapid or prolonged braking till pads bed in. Also a soft recommendation to wary speed for first few hundred km. Not sure how/if this applies to M, but likely it's a very similar situation - I don't think testing of M engines is any less rigorous.
Very interesting! I'm at 120 miles, don't know how much longer I can wait! :-(
Did those guys recommend anything about bedding-in the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #72
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Talked to my service manager about this. He said the dif fluid definitely has particles you don't see at any other service than the 1200 service, so obviously we're flushing stuff out early, but he also said on occasional WOT or near redline shift won't kill the car in this period. Porsche's break-in is 600 miles btw. Side note for dct owners, he said a new bulletin is out that does now NOT require clutch fluid change at 1200 miles. Found that interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #73
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Talked to my service manager about this. He said the dif fluid definitely has particles you don't see at any other service than the 1200 service, so obviously we're flushing stuff out early, but he also said on occasional WOT or near redline shift won't kill the car in this period. Porsche's break-in is 600 miles btw. Side note for dct owners, he said a new bulletin is out that does now NOT require clutch fluid change at 1200 miles. Found that interesting.
Its in the service manual for the 2011 M3. Don't change the transmission fluid for DCT do it for manual. Despite that I could not get the first place to change the tranny fluid and had to go to a different dealership to get it done. I am at 2500 miles, so far no problems. Used common sense during break in but did violate the speed part. Had it up to 125 on the autobahn. But tried hard to get the RPM's below 5500.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #74
chibi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46, 2012 E92

http://www.motortrend.com/features/e...e/viewall.html
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #75
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
If you want to know how to properly break in your car and enjoy the engine sooner, read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Sorry but your MotoMan is a idiot of the first class ... no need to say more ... I prefer to follow the ///M Divisions guidance for they have build the engine.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #76
HT1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

MoronMan must get a good laugh out of the folks he dupes into damaging their engine. He probably isn't educated enough to actually read an owners manual let alone understand it so he make things up as he goes along.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #77
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Sorry but your MotoMan is a idiot of the first class ... no need to say more ... I prefer to follow the ///M Divisions guidance for they have build the engine.
Agreed. Also, MotoMan won't provide any type of engine warranty coverage if there's an engine failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #78
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Wow. Lot of info on this thread. Such a heated dispute.

I'm probably gonna introduce mine to it's full potential a few times at least during the break-in, not without being at temp of course. I think it's important to sort of "seat" the engine, for lack of a better term. I'll take it easy for the first few hundred miles definitely and with additional consideration of brake pads, other parts. And then I'll do the service around 1K miles or so.

I think the 1200-mile mark seems a bit arbitrary though regarding solely the engine. What if you never actually drive the car around? What if you just start it up every day in the driveway, run it to temp and rev it for a while like you would as if you were driving it around? Then do that for a few months. Because perceivably, at that point, it would seem you have a fairly broken-in engine. Yet, technically, you still have 1200 miles to go? So with that reasoning, to me, it seems like 1200 is sort of a "safety" number in regards to a point in time when ALL of the working parts are broken-in. I don't know. What do you guys think? I'm not nearly as knowledgable as a lot of you on this, so looking for input. Thanks!

-Travis

Last edited by thurston; 01-09-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #79
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieso View Post
Wow. Lot of info on this thread. Such a heated dispute.

I'm probably gonna introduce mine to it's full potential a few times at least during the break-in, not without being at temp of course. I think it's important to sort of "seat" the engine, for lack of a better term. I'll take it easy for the first few hundred miles definitely and with additional consideration of brake pads, other parts. And then I'll do the service around 1K miles or so.

I think the 1200-mile mark seems a bit arbitrary though regarding solely the engine. What if you never actually drive the car around? What if you just start it up every day in the driveway, run it to temp and rev it for a while like you would as if you were driving it around? Then do that for a few months. Because perceivably, at that point, it would seem you have a fairly broken-in engine. Yet, technically, you still have 1200 miles to go? So with that reasoning, to me, it seems like 1200 is sort of a "safety" number in regards to a point in time when ALL of the working parts are broken-in. I don't know. What do you guys think? I'm not nearly as knowledgable as a lot of you on this, so looking for input. Thanks!

-Travis
I agree it's just a number when manufactures oil burns off and need an change of all fluids by that time. I drove mine on a continuous road trip and at 950mi the "service engine soon" light came on but turned out to be the gas cap. Then the oil indicator came on when the level was at 50% (950mi) and that definitely had me worried in the middle of the trip. BMW of Boise tested my car and said no worries, gave me a can of regular (wrong) oil and
said not to worry but have it serviced when I arrived to WA. I never used the oil fortunately. Car acted fine the remainder of the trip keeping <5000 rpm and <100mph, with final service at 1500mi.

I didn't notice any difference after the first service. But I do believe my somewhat enduring roadtrip and at times aggressive ride broke my car in earlier than 1200mi and I would have liked to have had it serviced at the 1000mi timeline.

These cars are tough......do you really think they can be destroyed in the first 500 miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #80
Imcfarlane5
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 m3 pure and x5 40d

Break in period

I have just picked up my new M3 and was planning a trip about 600k return. On the way down I noticed that the oil level was reducing close to the minimum and I wondered what oil is should purchase ( just in case) .
Appreciate 0