BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Cincinnati Rod Bearing Replacement

Anyone know of a shop or individual close to Cincinnati reputable and experienced in replacing rod bearings on the S65?

I don't really want to be someone's first job for a job like this. I've got a set of BE Bearings coming in soon and want to get this scheduled sooner rather than later, especially since I'm driving the car more nowadays with winter behind us.

Turn In Concepts, I've heard, has done a set but they seem very busy. Something I kind of stray away from as attention to detail seems to go wayward with schedules and promised delivery dates.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Yo, order me some BE Bearings.
      06-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep

Update your info bro. I'm quite sure your drives is outdated...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

I used Turn in Concepts. Great guys. I look at it like this, they're busy bc everyone likes them.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
I used Turn in Concepts. Great guys. I look at it like this, they're busy bc everyone likes them.
TurnIn worked heavily on my 335, which they have plenty of experience with that platform. With M3's, its a different story. I would be wary of them work on a bearing install since theyve only done 2. How is yours holding up? What bearings did you go with?
      06-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Novitec Ferrari FF

I know quite a few people in the Columbus area that have used Turn in concepts with great results

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/boostedtrav_/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
TurnIn worked heavily on my 335, which they have plenty of experience with that platform. With M3's, its a different story. I would be wary of them work on a bearing install since theyve only done 2. How is yours holding up? What bearings did you go with?
Factory bolts and bearings but WPC treated. Zero issues.
I respect the fact that you're doing your diligence so please dont take this the wrong way, but this a pretty standard job for a place like TiC. Its an intimidating thing, yes, and nobody would argue that more experience is better, but in Ohio we're obviously limited. TiC builds engines and they understand enginerring and what it takes to do a rod beating change regardless of the engine.
Having said that, maybe call Enthusiast Auto down there, they have tons of Ms as you probably know. Maybe they can point you on the right direction. Either way, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I respect the fact that you're doing your diligence so please dont take this the wrong way, but this a pretty standard job for a place like TiC. Its an intimidating thing, yes, and nobody would argue that more experience is better, but in Ohio we're obviously limited. TiC builds engines and they understand enginerring and what it takes to do a rod beating change regardless of the engine.
Having said that, maybe call Enthusiast Auto down there, they have tons of Ms as you probably know. Maybe they can point you on the right direction. Either way, good luck.
Good to know and valid point... I just know TiC from their days on Port Union and doesn't seem like the same mentality with their shop. Could be their newer employees?

How many miles do you have on the new ones? How many did you have on your car before you swapped them out? Are you S/C'd? The treated bearings, that are coated, reduce clearance, from my understanding and discussions with others. Did you see how your original bearings looked? 20 questions...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #9
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Quote:
All valid points. And dont get me wrong, I love the guys at TiC. Ive known Kent since I was 16. Theyre all really good guys. My opinion of their work as of lately has changed. I think they are over capacity with work and it is starting to show - stupid mistakes, missing bolts, rushing to get jobs done and out the door. And they did hire a few more employees who I do not know, nor know their quality of work. Not to mention, their labor pricing has increased and is close to dealer pricing now. But good for them for expanding their business! Wish nothing but the best for them.

Last edited by thompsac25; 06-03-2016 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
All valid points. And dont get me wrong, I love the guys at TiC. Ive known Kent since I was 16. Theyre all really good guys. My opinion of their work as of lately has changed. I think they are over capacity with work and it is starting to show - stupid mistakes, missing bolts, rushing to get jobs done and out the door. And they did hire a few more employees who I do not know, nor know their quality of work. Not to mention, their labor pricing has increased and is close to dealing pricing now. But good for them for expanding their business! Wish nothing but the best for them.
Fair enough, i havent worked with them in 2 years so while i didnt have that experience i can understand your hesitation if things have changed. Good luck though, let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Spoke with Enthusiast, they have not performed any "preventative" rod bearing jobs. Seemed to think oil analysis was a good monitor.

I have yet to hear back from Just BMW for rough estimate of cost & how many they've done.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
Spoke with Enthusiast, they have not performed any "preventative" rod bearing jobs. Seemed to think oil analysis was a good monitor.

I have yet to hear back from Just BMW for rough estimate of cost & how many they've done.
I'll never go there for anything maintenance related. My brother bought a super clean e46 there but their service was extremely subpar to their vehicle selection. They would only ever look at the surface value of issues and did the bare minimum to Band-Aid any issues beyond routine.

4 years is plenty of experience with them, and we will not go back. Plus, an oil analysis doesn't seem to do much with the newer rod bearings that do not contain lead. The older ones, it was a good tell but still not 100% accurate. They should know this.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sexyfd View Post
I'll never go there for anything maintenance related. My brother bought a super clean e46 there but their service was extremely subpar to their vehicle selection. They would only ever look at the surface value of issues and did the bare minimum to Band-Aid any issues beyond routine.

4 years is plenty of experience with them, and we will not go back. Plus, an oil analysis doesn't seem to do much with the newer rod bearings that do not contain lead. The older ones, it was a good tell but still not 100% accurate. They should know this.
Good info. Additionally, i believe you have to do multiple oil readings to get an idea of whether you are seeing stable levels of debris or if its increasing. I could be wrong but i dont think you can just "do an oil analysis". Agreed, they should know this.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #14
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good info. Additionally, i believe you have to do multiple oil readings to get an idea of whether you are seeing stable levels of debris or if its increasing. I could be wrong but i dont think you can just "do an oil analysis". Agreed, they should know this.
I did forget to mention that. Having a baseline is pretty much just as important as the readings. I'd even say that the first oil change should have a reading and everyone thereafter and never to skip a reading if you want to try and get a good indication, outside of physically inspecting them.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
drrust
Captain
Rep

I have only recent experience with Enthusiast, which was my recent purchase. However, I have a nephew who is the shop Foreman at a large BMW dealership in SC. He also has not seen 'rashes' of bearing failures.

One of my goals is to understand what a local labor charges would be for the bearing replacement. I have a friend who club raced and will get other shop recommendations from him.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have only recent experience with Enthusiast, which was my recent purchase. However, I have a nephew who is the shop Foreman at a large BMW dealership in SC. He also has not seen 'rashes' of bearing failures.

One of my goals is to understand what a local labor charges would be for the bearing replacement. I have a friend who club raced and will get other shop recommendations from him.
Plan on 2250 +/- 10% total. Not sure the labor vs parts breakdown though.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #17
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

I would not let EAG put air in my tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
drrust
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Plan on 2250 +/- 10% total. Not sure the labor vs parts breakdown though.
In pricing various bearing packages it the high end comes in around 800-900 bucks. In reading various DIYs it looks to be at least a long days work for someone unfamiliar with the process. So your pricing is in that ball park. As an example EAS is advertising the service in their CA shop with parts for a little under $2500.

I'm earlier in the process as the OP. The question is who in the area has the most experience for this job. Also would that shop prefer to provide the parts or could the customer provide them. (Likely impact any guarantee)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #19
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In pricing various bearing packages it the high end comes in around 800-900 bucks. In reading various DIYs it looks to be at least a long days work for someone unfamiliar with the process. So your pricing is in that ball park. As an example EAS is advertising the service in their CA shop with parts for a little under $2500.

I'm earlier in the process as the OP. The question is who in the area has the most experience for this job. Also would that shop prefer to provide the parts or could the customer provide them. (Likely impact any guarantee)
I was expecting 12-14 hours for a qualified shop/guy. The set I ultimately decided upon were the BE Bearings. Seems like they were the best bet in terms addressing the limited clearance and accelerated wear from the OEM design.

I have two others with recently acquired M3's that might be interested in getting this type of service done as well, with the same bearings. I'm not really expecting any guarantee with my setup as I'm supercharged. Maybe my other guys would be though. So that is something to consider, that I didn't think of. I think one of them still has a factory warranty, so if his engine goes boom, he's at least covered, barring no performance mods they could try to tie it back on.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #20
drrust
Captain
Rep

I should be hearing back from Just BMW soon. I will ask about a possible group price. Similarly I had spoken to Performance Alignment. They had done work on my old E36 M3. The mechanic who deals more with engines (autocrosser) is familiar with the process but has not done it. Muttered that it was a PITA job. But it's good to know that he has his eyes open & not saying 'no problem'.

A friend who tracks a Porsche has some contacts who track BMWs. He was going to check on other reccomended shops.

One of my goals is to set up a timetable/budget for maintenance items. Want to get the major ones out of the way before thinking of mods. I will be changing throttle actuator gears in the next few weeks (odometer gears replacements). I know I have a brake job in the near future too.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #21
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Would totally be interested in a group buy assuming BMW does not rape us on pricing.
      06-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #22
drrust
Captain
Rep

Spoke with Just BMW, they have not performed any rod bearing replacements on the S65. Willing/capable, but the amount of time suggested was longer than expected. Also mentioned not being able to order the parts until the bottom end was opened up. This seemed contrary to what I've read about the issue.

Also located a tech with ~10 years experience at BMW dealerships. He had no direct experience on S65 but replaced many S54 bearings on the E46 M3. Thought it would be on the order of 12 hours. Willing to use customer supplied bearings. PM me for contact info.

Asked another friend who races an E30. He reccomended Turn In Concepts. Said they've replaced 5 or 6 sets.
Appreciate 0