BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #67
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Hotness! Congrats man! I would love to get in one of these in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #68
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
What an interesting review. However, as I was reading it I began to realize that you'd be an Audi R8 guy. It's in the GT3RS price range and is much more comfortable. It's got an amazing exhaust note and I'm sure your wife would've loved it. Performance wise, it'd have been perfect for the Omaha roads and traffic; a notch above the M3 in speed but much cooler to drive. Just wondering why you never tested it out....
Quit talking.

Trolls aren't allowed to comment.
What are you? 12?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #69
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Quit talking.

R8 V10 is the shit!!!! And much nicer looking than ANY Porsche made... THAT IS MY OPINION and I am entitled to it.
      03-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #70
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
R8 V10 is the shit!!!! And much nicer looking than ANY Porsche made... THAT IS MY OPINION and I am entitled to it.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. The R8 is a fantastic car.

My comment was directed towards a poster that if you search some of his other posts is clearly a troll.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #71
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. The R8 is a fantastic car.

My comment was directed towards a poster that if you search some of his other posts is clearly a troll.
Its all good Bro we are
      03-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #72
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Attila, I too had a similar experience when I bought my 997S. The 997 in any version is an awesome vehicle, but sometimes the mesh just isn't there. I had my 997S for 3.5 years and I loved the vehicle, but I just didn't fit with it. You have to give it some time though, I don't think you have had it long enough. It took me about a year and a half before I finally felt like I belonged in the car,but still not a perfect fit. I know several people who ventured into the PCar world and then ended back into the BMW camp. You own both (lucky dog) so you don't have to decide which to keep which is nice.

The GT3RS is an awesome piece of machinery, there is no doubt about it. However, it is a car that if daily driven could begin to wear thin. It sits uber low, is incredibly stiff (my 997S with PASM on nomral was stiffer than my ZCP car in sport) and as you said regarding the road noise. You have those huge 325 gumballs right behind your head and there isn't a lot of insulation as Porsche wants to keep this car light. You haven't heard road noise until you hear 305 Pirelli PZero N1's with 8-10k miles on them, just a constant hummm.

If you plan on keeping both then this won't even be an issue as you can just DD the M3.

Also, my wife hated the car. She thought I was showing off and that I didn't need to spend 90k on a car and not to mention it was speed yellow. I figure if you are going to spend that kind of coin, get the color you want .

My 997S..not as nice as your GT3RS...

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 03-26-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #73
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Attila, I too had a similar experience when I bought my 997S. The 997 in any version is an awesome vehicle, but sometimes the mesh just isn't there. I had my 997S for 3.5 years and I loved the vehicle, but I just didn't fit with it. You have to give it some time though, I don't think you have had it long enough. It took me about a year and a half before I finally felt like I belonged in the car,but still not a perfect fit. I know several people who ventured into the PCar world and then ended back into the BMW camp. I don't know if that will be you but you won't know until you give it some time.

The GT3RS is an awesome piece of machinery, there is no doubt about it. However, it is a car that if daily driven could begin to wear thin. It sits uber low, is incredibly stiff (my 997S with PASM on nomral was stiffer than my ZCP car in sport) and as you said regarding the road noise. You have those huge 305 gumballs right behind your head and there isn't a lot of insulation as Porsche wants to keep this car light. You haven't heard road noise until you hear 305 Pirelli PZero N1's with 8-10k miles on them, just a constant hummm.

Also, my wife hated the car. She thought I was showing off and that I didn't need to spend 90k on a car and not to mention it was speed yellow. I figure if you are going to spend that kind of coin, get the color you want .

My 997S..not as nice as your GT3RS...

Dave
I can't disagree with your opinion (However, I am a little Porsche biased but have owned two E46 M3s, one slightly modded and presently a 335Xi Coupe; the fiance a 328Xi Coupe), but will say that the .2 GT3/RS's suspension set up is far better than the 997S or turbo. Porsche took a lot of what they learned from the GT2, etc... and applied it top the .2 3/RS. My .2 3 in normal mode is taut yet compliant enough so you don't feel any of the sharp, harsh feedback you'd otherwise get from a highly focused sports car. In sport mode the ride is definitely very sporty and resistant to lean but far less harsh than my .1 997S in sport mode. The classic front end lift is gone in these .2 GT3s and RSs.

The OP's RS does have sport buckets and a light weight flywheel which add to the harshness and noise, respectively; not to mention those massive 325's out back. In the end there is no wrong choice but are completely different examples.

A Tag may tell the same time as a Rolex but it's no Rolex. Price vs. value is subjective. The last two sentences are not directed at you just my opinion.

Last edited by devo; 03-26-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #74
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Devo and Shift I don't disagree with you guys at all. I'm just saying for some people the fit just isn't there. I bought my 997S (granted its no GT3RS) and I felt a let down initially. I was expected to be "wowed" but wasn't. I owned the car for 3.5 yrs. and learned to appreciate what it was about. Also, I never even mentioned the bounce issue the 997.1 cars had with the front end vs. the .2 cars. From my understanding this was solved with the new suspension in the .2 cars wether it was an S, Turbo or GT3 variants.

Also to even compare a GT3RS to an E9X M3 just doesn't pass the smell test. Two completely different cars with 2 different missions with 2 wildly different price tags. That being said I didn't see the value in these cars for the price paid, I felt like I made a mistake. People can disagree with my opinion but I just never seemed to "mesh" with the car like I was hoping. Does this make someone any less of a car enthusiast? I don't think so...

Now if I could have a stable of cars (and the bank account to go with it) I would love to own a GT3RS, it just wouldn't be my DD.

BTW, BMW is cleaning Porsche's clock in GrandAm..

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 03-26-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #75
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Devo and Shift I don't disagree with you guys at all. I'm just saying for some people the fit just isn't there. I bought my 997S (granted its no GT3RS) and I felt a let down initially. I was expected to be "wowed" but wasn't. I owned the car for 3.5 yrs. and learned to appreciate what it was about. Also, I never even mentioned the bounce issue the 997.1 cars had with the front end vs. the .2 cars. From my understanding this was solved with the new suspension in the .2 cars wether it was an S, Turbo or GT3 variants.

Also to even compare a GT3RS to an E9X M3 just doesn't pass the smell test. Two completely different cars with 2 different missions with 2 wildly different price tags. That being said I didn't see the value in these cars for the price paid, I felt like I made a mistake. People can disagree with my opinion but I just never seemed to "mesh" with the car like I was hoping. Does this make someone any less of a car enthusiast? I don't think so...

Now if I could have a stable of cars (and the bank account to go with it) I would love to own a GT3RS, it just wouldn't be my DD.

Dave
Kudos to BMW, although Porsche's racing history ain't bad.

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when I traded my modded E46 M for a .1 997S. I learned to love the 997S but the E46 was the sweetheart. As time passed I did prefer the 997S but there was a learning curve. My .2 GT3 was immediate lust

BTW, the turbo or any AWD Porsche never had any front end lift issues. Those platforms were/are stupid planted in any corner.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #76
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousdandRPM View Post

Boom. There is your violent torpedo of truth.

"TenThousdandRPM".... You spelled your user name wrong knucklehead... BOOMMMM, there's MY torpedo of truth!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #77
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:

Dave

Well said... I had a similar experience when i sold my e46 M3 and purchased a 996TT. I was, however, "wowed" by the car in many respects, but we just didn't mesh the way i thought we would. Ultimately I had an issue with using it as my DD, even though it wasn't my only car.

The e92 M3 just offered me the perfect blend of what I need and want in a car on a daily basis. One test drive and i felt right at home in it. I have no doubt in my mind I will own another Porsche, probably sooner than later, but it will never be as a DD.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #78
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
No doubt, not every car fits every individual. Couple years ago I had a friend who bought a mint Gallardo. F*cking hated the thing and sold it after two months. Most thought he was crazy but he just didnt like much of anything about the car.
Im not a big Grand Am/Prix follower, but IIRC, in GT class, Porsche is kicking BMW's ass in manuf. stnadings this season. Hell, even mazda is ahead of BMW in overall point standings.
When BMW becomes the most successful racing car/engine in motorsports history...or comes within say 15,000 race victories of Porsche, then we can talk.

Grand Am GS class is much closer to what we are driving on the street though...
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #79
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Grand Am GS class is much closer to what we are driving on the street though...
Hardly. Besides, don't confuse results in the States as the norm worldwide. There's very little racing outside the FIA (or Europe/Middle East) that's as serious. Now if the M3 does well at Le Mans, then it deserves credibility.

I'm hoping once the F1 track in Austin is finished, perhaps some serious production racing will come to the States, such as the FIA GT series. That series currently races in S. America. So come on up!

I hope BMW starts bringing low displacement motors to the States. Then perhaps WTCC would look our way too. Smaller, lighter cars with smaller high-revving engines is the only thing that would put me back into a BMW dealership contemplating a purchase. Sorry but making a sub 20 mpg car is pretty damn stupid these days.
      03-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #80
LehmanZ06
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I am blown away by how many guys have M3.....GT3

I just bought my 2008 M3 Sedan when the lease ended, and I must say that it is the greatest daily driver I have ever driven. Love, love the car...a pleasure to drive.

But...I once tried to autocross it on the stock tires with a stock alignment.....not much fun, due to undersized front tires = horrible push.

My 997.2 GT3.....hooks up like a catapult launched F-18, and while it doesn't have the torque of my modded C5 Z06(sold,ASP class autocross car)....it blows the M3 away on an autocross course....but that said so does my 2003 S2000.

The M3 is a much better daily driver. My GT3 is somewhat low and stiff, and I am somewhat more apprehensive parking it and what-not.

M3 daily FTW.
GT3 weekend and track FTW.

PS..I sat in RS sport buckets at the dealer and while they save like 15lbs per seat over my standard seats, I did think my seats were more comfortable in my GT3 and far more adjustable. But my M3 seats are even more comfortable for daily driving.

PSS....if you want something that feels like a real F1 car....try a 125 shifter kart, just don't blame me when you have to go into traction at the hospital after hitting a plastic barrier or a tire wall, or God forbid a solid object.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #81
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

I am really into go-karts! I am getting this cart next month. It's on back order
http://www.tsracing.com/store/showde...=4618&CATID=27

The problem is the lack of dedicated tracks here. I would love to do just kart racing. I was even toying with the idea of building my own kart track. Even checked out few larger lots with a realtor for that purpose. I calculated the track would cost about $200K.
Building them would be just as much fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #82
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

TenThousdandRPM's truth of hammer go suicide yourself,nobody will miss you
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #83
MK599
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice car!
One of my all time favourite cars and second favourite porsche next to the CGT!

*saw the fact that you purchased light headlights
*saw first picture
*.....damn those must be some good light headlights ahahahha

ps. is there any cosmetic/visual difference in appearance of the light headlights vs the regular ones?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #84
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk599 View Post
Nice car!
One of my all time favourite cars and second favourite porsche next to the CGT!

*saw the fact that you purchased light headlights
*saw first picture
*.....damn those must be some good light headlights ahahahha

ps. is there any cosmetic/visual difference in appearance of the light headlights vs the regular ones?
The main difference is the lack of headlight washer system, and that is the main weight saving. Plus the "light" headlight is not xenon if I am correct, so the whole assembly is lighter. The saving is about 8lbs/side, not that much.

On the first images, I removed the headlight and the badge for clear bra. (Trying to do my own clear bra application with mixed result. The hood is good, fenders OK, front bumper needs a redo. May redo the fenders too.)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #85
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
What an interesting review. However, as I was reading it I began to realize that you'd be an Audi R8 guy. It's in the GT3RS price range and is much more comfortable. It's got an amazing exhaust note and I'm sure your wife would've loved it. Performance wise, it'd have been perfect for the Omaha roads and traffic; a notch above the M3 in speed but much cooler to drive. Just wondering why you never tested it out....
Quit talking.

^^this!!! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #86
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

what a car extreme i love it
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #87
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
(Trying to do my own clear bra application with mixed result. The hood is good, fenders OK, front bumper needs a redo. May redo the fenders too.)

i take it it's not very easy huh?
I saw videos on application of the clear bra, and I can handle straight and large patches like fenders and the hood, but the front bumper on any car would be a PITA to do. I don't think i can do it on the first shot either.

Is there a way to take it off, heat it back up and restretch the 3M material if you do mess up?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #88
attila
Captain
Rep

update on the RS: After 500miles it feels way better than new. (or just got used to it and like it) That damn car needs to be driven hard. No relaxed cruising. I mean every trip should be full on, like on the track, then it shines.
I tried to do my cunning -my wife calls it stupid- drift turn at an intersection on my way home. With all electronic nanies off - did it just for the "test" - in 2nd gear tight right turn I did hang the tail out, just not exactly in a way I planned. I knew this turn very well, the M3 can nicely hang out its tail, did it several times for fun especially during the winter when there was snow on the ground. Well the RS did put out its tail too, just much faster than the M3. Faster I mean earlier in the turn, and also more abruptly. More like the trail braking rather than the throttle got the tail loose. The M3 usually gets loose there when I accelerate out from the turn. The RS actually got more planted rather than loose when I put my foot down. In a way "corrected itself" upon throttle application. Which was fortunate since there were some other cars around.
Appreciate 0