BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #67
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Pop tarts vs cake: I’ve driven 2 different Stage 2 cars and the power difference is undeniable, but not transformative. For me, smell is a killer (I use the car with my kid, park in a condo garage, work in solar so feel kinda whack removing exhaust filters, enjoy windows down/cracked, etc.) and I also enjoy quieter setups that I can push without announcing to everybody in town when I’m on the GO pedal. Overall I enjoy my car as-is vs the louder, raspier, smellier versions that have a little more power. Ultimately nothing checks all of the boxes and I don’t want to compromise on smell or sound. Fortunately intake, muffler, pulley, and tune is still plenty fun and quick. I don't remember pop tarts from my childhood being this good.

Akra absolutely does smell, but maybe not as much when warm or if you like your windows up. Many setups supposedly only smell on cold start (heard this for Evolve, TPs with OE secondaries, etc.).

I was looking at the GESi Greens/EPA versions (as sold by Bimmerworld on their header setup). Vibrant also sells this cat. Too bad RKP wouldn’t offer their Sport midpipe with the higher quality Vibrant cat, that’d be a contender as well.

Last edited by wyatth; 07-30-2020 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #68
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT Interlagos

I have test pipes on my car and have no "fuel" smell unless I'm standing in a confined space like my garage with the engine running as the carm warms up. Not sure what the big fuss is about test pipes - they're tried and true.

Edit: I also refuse to put up with any smell, and drive my young daughter around all the time with no ill effects.

2009 E92 M3 | 6MT | Interlagos Blue
Progress Thread

2016 F15 X5 35i | 8AT | Sophisto Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #69
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

They are tried and true, and they're not really what I'm looking for. We all have different tolerances and priorities.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #70
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Nope, I opted against Stage 2. Couldn’t figure a solution that would be tame and clean while still offering good power (and didn’t want to be a guinea pig). I want my cake and to eat it too! Since I don’t want to compromise on sound or smell, I’ve resigned to a Stage 1 setup. Also why I just picked up an MPE, which sounds petty bad IMO with TPs/mids, while the Eisenmann Sport it’s potentially replacing sounds pretty good regardless of midpipe.
Well I ended up making this X pipe and can confirm, it’s perfection with UUC Corsa. The secret was adding in another pair of vibrant resonators. Beautiful clean, exotic tone with great gains and no smell
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #71
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Just saw your thread, great stuff!
Appreciate 0